Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Ok Sudbury fans, what's the scouting report on Owen Protz?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with this take.
Protz is a 2-way d-man who is extremely physical strong. Can throw some bone rattling hits, also has an extremely good first pass out of the zone. Has really shown some offensive potential with an underrated ability to get his shot on net too. Ya'll got a gem.

Hopefully a shot blocking big body D, now one more to go
We had a big body shot blocking D, his name was Owen Protz.

TheRailBird2

Oct 4, 2023
It does seem expensive, but the picks are in 2026, 2027, 2027 so likely thought is they can be recouped before that time by dealing someone next year. People wanted Papineau to go all in, he is certainly trying. I liked what Protz brought to the table but in reality he has to pay to not use any of the main roster players.

Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
It does seem expensive, but the picks are in 2026, 2027, 2027 so likely thought is they can be recouped before that time by dealing someone next year. People wanted Papineau to go all in, he is certainly trying. I liked what Protz brought to the table but in reality he has to pay to not use any of the main roster players.
I don't see any reason to believe this is an upgrade, even ignoring the picks.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
You'd think it should have been Van Vliet and Xhekaj for this price of Protz, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

Van Vliet was driving Goyette insane last Friday night lol

Hefty price, but we needed two more shut down defenders and we got them in McCoy and Van Vliet. Also both have loads of playoff experience, and memorial cup experience. Looking forward to seeing them play.

Wolves should getting one more forward hopefully.
I wonder if Wifi (like Buchinger) declined to come here?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Well we will have to agree to disagree on that take. Protz will be the better player in two years, I completely agree with you but he isn’t better IMHO today
The difference between him and Protz is not 2 2nds and a 3rd. As per bulldogs fans, this guy was a 3rd pairing d-man on the bulldogs.

We're also still in a position now where Ryan Pryce is our 7th d-man. Huge problem.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
Giving up Protz hurts. I really liked him. He was a steady regular who didn’t make many mistakes. Without knowing too much about the guy coming back other than his size I think we lost this one. But like one poster said (if true) he is a better D NOW than Protz is and that’s what we want I guess.

Not that it matters too much but the 3rd we gave was from the Toure trade.

Last edited:

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
So... what are the lineup projections if this is our team moving forward?

I can take a stab at this, please don’t roast me! :)

Goyette Dvorsky Musty
Delic Giroux (Trade)
Walton Villeneuve Konyen
Yearwood McCallum Pharand
Coughlan

Anania Collins
DeAngelis McCoy
NVV Mania

Vondras
Vandenberg

I didn’t fully listen, I would think that it’s a given that paps does go out tomorrow and severely overpays and brings in that top 6 winger

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I can take a stab at this, please don’t roast me! :)

Goyette Dvorsky Musty
Delic Giroux (Trade)
Walton Villeneuve Konyen
Yearwood McCallum Pharand
Coughlan

Anania Collins
DeAngelis McCoy
NVV Mania

Vondras
Vandenberg

I didn’t fully listen, I would think that it’s a given that paps does go out tomorrow and severely overpays and brings in that top 6 winger
Giroux has been playing wing so I see him on the left and Delic down the middle. McCallum better on the wing and Pharand better down the middle. However I don't see McCallum going to the 4th line. I like Coughlan in the line up. He brings energy, physicality and can chip in the odd goal.

I bit surprised at NVV deal however you win with 19-20 year olds. I would imagine we get picks back when we deal several 19 year olds in the summer. I'd start the season with 4 OA's which would be Delic, McCoy, DeAngelis and NVV. Deal Konyen, Yearwood, Collins (if he is returned) and Vandenberg.

Wolves will most likely hold onto Krawchuk and make him the starter next season with Gaulton or a young drafted goalie as back up.

When thinking at what we have back in D next year.

Connors
Jackson
Bruce
DeAnglios OA
MCoy OA
Mania
NVV OA

Its not bad considering we gave up Protz. Then if Cleveland reports we really are in good shape back there. As well we have the draft and import selections.

Up front we will have

Musty Delic OA Pharand
Walton Villy Coughlan
Chitaroni
Dvorsky ???

Plus some draft picks from 2023 and 2024 to make their way onto the roster. Its not all bad in Wolves land that we gave up Protz.

In addition we get picks back from the Hage deal unless he reports lol.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
When thinking at what we have back in D next year.

Connors
Jackson
Bruce
DeAnglios OA
MCoy OA
Mania
NVV OA

Jayden Connors - As much as I'd love to ee him in the lineup, he's committed to NCAA this year as of a month ago or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad