Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Now that the home opener has been announced, the clock is ticking louder, hopefully an announcement soon

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Suggesting you have players like Beck and Mayer coming and letting anyone know before its official, (let alone the existing team) is ... asinine. At least no false coach announcements...

Reactions: justawolfan

Whoppy52

Mar 6, 2013
Paps supposedly does not have a great reputation in the OHL hockey circle...thus what coach wishes to come on board and have interference from the GM as to who plays etc.??

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Paps supposedly does not have a great reputation in the OHL hockey circle...thus what coach wishes to come on board and have interference from the GM as to who plays etc.??
correct, his peers believe he’s cocky and arrogant, it’s fine if you win but not when your don’t. he can be condescending but I’m not sure he realizes it.

Reactions: Section5Petes

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
And Dario believes he is the second coming of Christ, this is what we have to look forward to until Dario wakes up.

Reactions: djscooter

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Paps perfect? Nope. But who is? Bum Boy? What? That statement is so offside and offensive, I question why I read and post on this form. Perspective/Reality: 16 out of 20 teams make the playoffs. 2 of 20 teams win their conference. ONE team goes to Mem Cup. Disappointed in last year? Yes. Should GM Paps be held accountable? Yes. But he isn’t in this alone. So many things must go right to win…I look at OHL as a form of winter entertainment. Do I want the Wolves to win everything every year? Yes! But I refuse to post personal attacks from an uninformed base. Can we please talk hockey…

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
correct, his peers believe he’s cocky and arrogant, it’s fine if you win but not when your don’t. he can be condescending but I’m not sure he realizes it.
I know you wouldn't be too far to chirp on this topic. Dont hold back, let it all out ..

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Heard walton was being shopped. Anyone know if that's true?
I've heard similar whispers.
Paps perfect? Nope. But who is? Bum Boy? What? That statement is so offside and offensive, I question why I read and post on this form. Perspective/Reality: 16 out of 20 teams make the playoffs. 2 of 20 teams win their conference. ONE team goes to Mem Cup. Disappointed in last year? Yes. Should GM Paps be held accountable? Yes. But he isn’t in this alone. So many things must go right to win…I look at OHL as a form of winter entertainment. Do I want the Wolves to win everything every year? Yes! But I refuse to post personal attacks from an uninformed base. Can we please talk hockey…
Wolves, as an organization, need to aim higher. Only a couple teams in the OHL have shown the same level of mediocrity over the last 15 years. I like to think this fanbase deserves better, but maybe enough people are happy with what they're getting that this is all that is needed.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I've heard similar whispers.

Wolves, as an organization, need to aim higher. Only a couple teams in the OHL have shown the same level of mediocrity over the last 15 years. I like to think this fanbase deserves better, but maybe enough people are happy with what they're getting that this is all that is needed.
As an old goat myself, I’ve learned that in hockey people who are fortunate enough to get hired to manage or coach are gonna be fired. Human nature makes it easier to focus on the negative even when the good far outweighs the precieved flaws. All 20 owners and team managers want to be elite..it’s an expensive venture and I’m guessing those lucky enough to be in those positions are fully invested. One day Paps will be replaced, it’s gonna happen. But in the meantime let’s discuss his successes and failures. Thats fair. But I get so turned off by personal attacks, it truly disgust me that in Sudbury we’d lower ourselves to that. Same goes for players. Have I been critical of coaching, players performance and bad trades? Yup. But I don’t make it personal and I realize hockey isn’t a perfect game and it’s managed and played by imperfect people.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
What is your assessment of Walton’s ability and ceiling? Why would the Wolves be shopping him? Is it at the insistence of the player ?

And what price is realistic?
From my understanding Sudbury needs a goalie BAD. If they get Leenders they’re automatically a top contender- that’s the biggest thing holding them back.

Not sure that Brampton would want to trade him to Sudbury of all teams though lol.

Same division, same goal probably and Leenders would be WAY more valuable to Sudbury then Walton to Brampton.

Reactions: Section5Petes

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
As an old goat myself, I’ve learned that in hockey people who are fortunate enough to get hired to manage or coach are gonna be fired. Human nature makes it easier to focus on the negative even when the good far outweighs the precieved flaws. All 20 owners and team managers want to be elite..it’s an expensive venture and I’m guessing those lucky enough to be in those positions are fully invested. One day Paps will be replaced, it’s gonna happen. But in the meantime let’s discuss his successes and failures. Thats fair. But I get so turned off by personal attacks, it truly disgust me that in Sudbury we’d lower ourselves to that. Same goes for players. Have I been critical of coaching, players performance and bad trades? Yup. But I don’t make it personal and I realize hockey isn’t a perfect game and it’s managed and played by imperfect people.
Honest question, what is the good of Papineau's time with the Wolves? Most of the good seems to be tied to being a terrible team, ie, drafting Byfield.

Maybe if we're lucky this organization will treat us to a few more "EMERGENCY PRESS CONFERENCE!" style events this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
From my understanding Sudbury needs a goalie BAD. If they get Leenders they’re automatically a top contender- that’s the biggest thing holding them back.

Not sure that Brampton would want to trade him to Sudbury of all teams though lol.

Same division, same goal probably and Leenders would be WAY more valuable to Sudbury then Walton to Brampton.
Maybe he’ll join his brother in Windsor. Depends on price I guess.

Fits Windsor’s timeline.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Honest question, what is the good of Papineau's time with the Wolves? Most of the good seems to be tied to being a terrible team, ie, drafting Byfield.

Maybe if we're lucky this organization will treat us to a few more "EMERGENCY PRESS CONFERENCE!" style events this year.
So to be clear, we had a terrible team last season? Players were terrible?

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Do you think a 2nd round exit was a successful season given the amount of nhl drafted and nhl camp invited talent on the roster? If anyone looks on last year as a success, maybe I'm wrong and the fanbase is getting what it deserves.
No I agree with you, with the amount of talent on the team I would agree that last season wasn’t a success. But the failure to get out of the second round is a Shared Responsibility. I would say, Paps filled the roster with plenty of talent. Enough to win. If you believe what has been posted on here it looks like there was other high end talent he was close to obtaining but at the end of the day when those players have a choice to come to Sudbury or be guaranteed to play (and now win) the Mem Cup, I know what I’d choose. So now we have tons of talent, 8 NHL draft picks ( somebody needs some praise for that), but how that talent performed as a team and the style of play is another contributing factor to our playoff disappointment. IMO we got beat by a better TEAM. So lots of blame to go around. Player’s also share some of the responsibility as it was clear some didn’t play in all 3 zones. So, if you want to blame everything that went wrong on one person go at it! Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and I respect yours; however, please keep it clean and classy..

Reactions: djscooter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad