Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
You must believe Musty, Delic, and McCoy will not return. I think there is a fairly good chance they do. In that case, the OAs are DeAngelis, McCoy, and Delic or VanVliet. If it is VanVliet, the D is set. If it is Delic, the (edit: forwards) are an Import and a middling forward from set.
There isn’t a team in the conference set right now..
The wolves biggest concerns are GM and coach imo.
There are are lot of picks already; 7-2s, 6-3s, 4-4s, 6-5s. That is equal to or a bit better than all but Brantford. Seven of the eight teams with the most disposable picks right now are in the east. It will come down to which teams can and will use them effectively. Some, probably most of Peterborough, Niagara, Barrie, Windsor won’t even try.
Sudbury is further an away than being set with needing to add an import forward and a middle six forward even with Koch’s Delic returning. With him the Wolves only have him, Quentin Musty, Kieron Walton and Nathan Villeneuve who truly contributed offensively last season. Alex Pharland and Chase Coughlan may step up and help but even if they do there are only seven forwards with any real OHL experience. Sudbury only has three defencemen with any real OHL experience. Teams who contend for championships usually have four to five 19-20 year old defencemen on their roster. The Wolves are not winning anything with their current goaltending. It will take several trades for Sudbury to become a contender. In regards to the draft pick situation. Does anyone know the conditions on the 4th round draft pick trades to Peterborough in the Donovan McCoy trade? Is it possible that the pick was a 4th if he did not return as an overage put a higher pick like a 2nd or 3rd if he did?

Last edited:

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Sudbury is further away being set by adding an import and a middle six forward even with Kocha Delic returning. With him the Wolves only have him, Quentin Musty, Kieron Walton and Nathan Villeneuve who truly contributed offensively last season. Alex Pharland and Chase Coughlan may step up and help but even if they do there are only seven forwards with any real OHL experience. Even with Donovan McCoy and Nick DeAngelis returning Sudbury only has three defencemen with any real OHL experience returning. Teams who contend for championships usually have four to five 19-20 year old defencemen on their roster. If Noah Van Vliet returns but Delic doesn’t the defence will be stronger but the Wolves will not have even less offensive capability. Sudbury are not winning anything with their current goaltending. It will take several trades for the Wolves to become contender. In regards to the draft pick situation. Does anyone know the condition on the 4th round draft pick trades to Peterborough in the Donovan McCoy trade? Is possible that the pick was a 4th if he did not return as an overage but a higher pick like a 2nd or a 3rd if he did?
The draft pick is likely the same as what was in the wolves deal with mississauga last off season. We traded Boudreau for a pick that was conditional on OA season.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Making a trade with Brampton and Barrie, this is how I could see it playing out. I am not saying these moves are being made just a thought of what could work.

Musty - Villy - import/delic
Klinkhammer - Walton - Pharand
Stewart - Chitironi - Newton
Clayton - Dean - Coughlan

Deangelis - Akey
Jackson - McCoy
Ewles - Blonda
O'Dell - Horgan

Leenders
Krawchuck / Gaulton

Stewart, Newton and Akey in from Barrie to add a solid d man, Newton played with Chitironi last year in the Nojhl where they took the league championship. Stewart can provide depth.

Hard to say what pharand can do he was basically 4th line all year which drove me nuts, should have been higher up.

Can't say what the offense will be like until October when we see who is sent back and isn't sent back or who I coach.

Also as the old saying goes defence wins championships. We had no issues scoring last year just couldn't keep the puck out of the net. A solid goalie and solid defence can go a long long way.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Making a trade with Brampton and Barrie, this is how I could see it playing out. I am not saying these moves are being made just a thought of what could work.

Deangelis - Akey
Jackson - McCoy
Ewles - Blonda
O'Dell - Horgan

Leenders
Krawchuck / Gaulton

Stewart, Newton and Akey in from Barrie to add a solid d man, Newton played with Chitironi last year in the Nojhl where they took the league championship. Stewart can provide depth.

Hard to say what pharand can do he was basically 4th line all year which drove me nuts, should have been higher up.

Can't say what the offense will be like until October when we see who is sent back and isn't sent back or who I coach.

Also as the old saying goes defence wins championships. We had no issues scoring last year just couldn't keep the puck out of the net. A solid goalie and solid defence can go a long long way.
I think Newton playing for the wolves is a good possibility. There is little chance of Akey and even less for Bode Stewart imo.

Reactions: hockeynorth

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I think Newton playing for the wolves is a good possibility. There is little chance of Akey and even less for Bode Stewart imo.
All depends on how Williamson feels about his team. Barrie signed Newton last year so any move would be a trade.

Was also looking at north bays roster this morning, they may need someone to tandem with McIvor, maybe there is space for a goalie for Ride trade.

Lots of time before the season. The Wolves need to bring in a coach soon so they can start to mold the team to fit the system.

Reactions: justawolfan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Williamson gave up multiple 2, 3, 4 picks for Stewart and Patterson; they will be part of an ‘06 top six with Beaudoin.

I also doubt Ride would be traded. He is one of two good OA options, and one of two RD. They traded an ‘05 goalie and 2-3s, 2-4s for him, I think they wanted him for more than just for depth in a playoff run.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
All depends on how Williamson feels about his team. Barrie signed Newton last year so any move would be a trade.

Was also looking at north bays roster this morning, they may need someone to tandem with McIvor, maybe there is space for a goalie for Ride trade.

Lots of time before the season. The Wolves need to bring in a coach soon so they can start to mold the team to fit the system.
The wolves may have to wait well into the season before good D become available.
Barrie and NB have a couple of ‘06 LD battling for minutes that can pair adequately with Ewles now and well next season.
Rismond might get more TOI here with his local team.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
The wolves may have to wait well into the season before good D become available.
Barrie and NB have a couple of ‘06 LD battling for minutes that can pair adequately with Ewles now and well next season.
Rismond might get more TOI here with his local team.
Hopefully Jackson can fit in with middle 4 D. Bruce should be eating some minutes as well, he is an 06. Blonda will play. Great base to start.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hopefully Jackson can fit in with middle 4 D. Bruce should be eating some minutes as well, he is an 06. Blonda will play. Great base to start.
I have different hopes for the season.
I think anything more than 5-6 for Jackson and Blonda, and less than 40% TOI for DeAngelis and McCoy would make the year a write-off.
I’d like the wolves to at some point find a solid two-year option to fill the top 4, then maybe go with an 11-7 line up.

Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I have different hopes for the season.
I think anything more than 5-6 for Jackson and Blonda, and less than 40% TOI for DeAngelis and McCoy would make the year a write-off.
I’d like the wolves to at some point find a solid two-year option to fill the top 4, then maybe go with an 11-7 line up.
We’ll see what the import draft brings

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Why not both. My thoughts on Newton are they played together and have chemistry. If there is someone better and you can get him to go for it.

Reactions: dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Deangelis - Akey
Jackson - McCoy
Ewles - Blonda
O'Dell - Horgan

Leenders
Krawchuck / Gaulton

Klinkhammer is a great kid. Everyone in the stands and the locker room is going to love him. He’s going to bring 110% every shift. He’ll throw the body and go to the dirty areas and do anything that is asked of him…..but if he’s on your 2nd line you have issues.

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018
here's a question for you guys. if there is a better 06 available, wouldnt you want him vs newton? whats more important, bringing in a sudbury kid, or bringing in the best 06 they can find?
Newton is a borderline OHL'er at best. People don't want to hear that, though. The answer is trying to find someone better.

Reactions: djscooter

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Newton is a borderline OHL'er at best. People don't want to hear that, though. The answer is trying to find someone better.
I think he would be considered a depth player that has 3 years of eligibility left to improve.
Musty-Villeneuve-Import?
Walton-Delic-Pharrand
Klinkhammer-?-Coughlan
Rookies & Depth. Depth players will be useful to the wolves.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
That's what I feel for Newton, not a top line player but depth to develop alongside Chitironi. Could be a solid duo for a couple of years.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There are about a dozen unsigned ‘24 draft picks. Some of the 25 signed will be cut and waived leaving the wolves well below the 45 or 50 that can be protected.
The number in main camp including FAs probably approaches 40. Newton can attend on one those conditional deals we see a few teams do every year.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Newton has a contract with Barrie, they drafter him last year only way to bring him here is a trade

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Newton has a contract with Barrie, they drafter him last year only way to bring him here is a trade
NB had Cooke and Windsor had Struthers both steelheads in camp on a conditional try-out. NB gave up a 6th and Windsor an 11th? for their rights.

If Barrie and Newton do not want each other, the wolves can offer a conditional 15th to have him in camp with an agreed upon higher pick if he sticks with the wolves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad