Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
What I saw on Tuesday:
The best players on the ice were Blonda and Jackson.
Blonda was very impressive with skating speed and stick handling. My only concern is that he joins the rush too much leaving an inexperienced forward playing full-on defensive rolls. Overall, he probably spent about 50% of his gamed up front with the forwards. That's too much.
Jackson didn't really do anything special but played with confidence making clean passes and defending well. You could tell that he has experience at the OHL level.
H. Chitaroni underwhelmed a bit. I think that maybe he was trying too hard; maybe needs to simplify his game a little. His try-out last year was very impressive and I thought that he had would have had a good chance last year of making the team had it not been for the Wolves already stacked up on the front lines with experienced players. He also seemed small last year. He had a good run in the NOJHL last year putting up big numbers and he'll have a great chance of making the team.
Mazanik has excellent skating speed and looked impressive. He'll likely get a few unexpected looks from team management.
Dean seems to have good physical presence but not sure if he is OHL ready. To be honest, I would need to see more of his play. It should be a young team this year so maybe there is an opportunity in there.
Didn't notice Doucet much but that doesn't mean anything; just can't really provide any feedback.
Kearns seemed to be trying to make his way onto the team as the tough guy. Was involved in one fight. Later, he was trying to instigate one with Blonda. Personally, seems bizarre to me that he'd go this route and risk injuring the Wolves top draft pick. I can't imagine that management were impressed. Imagine trying out for the Penguins and, in your first year, you go after Crosby. Recommendation: If you are going to demonstrate tough guy skills, do with someone further down the ranking.
As for the goalies, none of them really stood out. They have potential but I didn't see anything to pick one out over the other. I imagine Krawchuk will get the start with one of these young players joining him as a back up.
Ask Don Cherry how that worked out for him. Was invited to a leafs camp and went after Ron Ellis, was cut shortly after

four carded 16 yr olds; first two selections and any two others can play 10+ games. Affiliates can get past that number of games once the season of their club team is complete.
More true rookies can dress in emergency though, Niagara had 7 in games the final weeks of last season.
Also 16 year olds acquired after January 1, ie petes last year with a bunch added in trades

Reactions: SudWolf

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I come in peace with a quick question...

What can y'all tell me about Nicholas Yearwood?

I know he was an OA option this season for you guys and had some 30 points in 65ish games. He's been added to the Windsor training camp roster, which is a bit of a surprise given we have Abraham, Morneau, and Mathurin penciled in as the OAs. Maybe it's a thing to showcase Yearwood, maybe it's a favour to the Wolves, maybe it's competition/upgrade potential. I don't know yet. But, I'd love to hear more about his overall game and locker room abilities. Thanks.

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I come in peace with a quick question...

What can y'all tell me about Nicholas Yearwood?

I know he was an OA option this season for you guys and had some 30 points in 65ish games. He's been added to the Windsor training camp roster, which is a bit of a surprise given we have Abraham, Morneau, and Mathurin penciled in as the OAs. Maybe it's a thing to showcase Yearwood, maybe it's a favour to the Wolves, maybe it's competition/upgrade potential. I don't know yet. But, I'd love to hear more about his overall game and locker room abilities. Thanks.
He's great on the PK, can play a real good physical game, and won't hurt your team five on five. Offensive upside is definitely limited however. When he first joined the wolves he took some real dumb penalties, but down the line he really worked on the discipline as well. I think he'd be well placed on a young building team to bring some stability.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Hearing Leenders traded to Brantford, oh well, forget that thought of the Wolves making a deal.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Never would’ve made sense for them to trade one of the best goalies in the league to the same division. Brantford always made the most sense- them and London but londons not going to overpay like that.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Hearing Leenders traded to Brantford, oh well, forget that thought of the Wolves making a deal.
The triple B’s are going for it. Add Oshawa into mix, East will be extremely tough this season! This is a time where we need to be patient and smart. Opportunities will present themselves over time. I hope…

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It's a rebuild year, play the kids, get a good return for Musty/OAs at the deadline. Get a high draft pick. Teach systems and good habits to the rookies. Let Barney mold the team.
100% called this 3 months ago and some people didn’t understand it.

I don’t even agree fully with kingston going in but it’s inevitable right now. Sudbury definitely has to play their cards right with musty- even if that’s the only guy you trade if he is back then you make that trade.

Absolutely CANNOT keep him just to finish 5th or 6th place.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
100% called this 3 months ago and some people didn’t understand it.

I don’t even agree fully with kingston going in but it’s inevitable right now. Sudbury definitely has to play their cards right with musty- even if that’s the only guy you trade if he is back then you make that trade.

Absolutely CANNOT keep him just to finish 5th or 6th place.
I forsee the wolves having a similar season to the Petes last year, they'll start the year strong, and fold their hand at the deadline.

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The wolves do not need to sell the farm as they currently have the most picks in the league. If just selling Musty at the deadline, the team would have a ridiculous amount of assets.
The wolves might want to try developing the newcomers in a competetive environment instead of from outside of the playoffs for a change.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The wolves do not need to sell the farm as they currently have the most picks in the league. If just selling Musty at the deadline, the team would have a ridiculous amount of assets.
The wolves might want to try developing the newcomers in a competetive environment instead of from outside of the playoffs for a change.
Because of their assets I think this is correct. I predict they trade musty (obviously) for a good 08 (prob a forward since Blonda, the other 08 is a d) and picks and then trade Deangelis because he has a lot of value. May even get an 08 for him depending on how he does and if a team is desperate enough.

Keep McCoy unless he forces his way out and just coast this year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Because of their assets I think this is correct. I predict they trade musty (obviously) for a good 08 (prob a forward since Blonda, the other 08 is a d) and picks and then trade Deangelis because he has a lot of value. May even get an 08 for him depending on how he does and if a team is desperate enough.

Keep McCoy unless he forces his way out and just coast this year.

The wolves can keep the OAs to be competitive; unless, the OAs force their way out to play on better teams.
It can be a slippery slope if Musty is moved, the wolves could actually end up like the Petes. Without the winning history of course.

Reactions: frontsfan67

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Has anyone seen Doucette on the ice today, don't believe he's been on for any scrimmages.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Wolves need to move value at the trade deadline or just before and then shop for a GM who has the knowledge of how to apply those pics for a run down the road. We cannot have history repeat itself.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
A couple things I noticed at the 630 scrimmage yesterday.

They had Musty with Walton and Chitironi, they also had Klinkhammer with Villy and Coughlan.

Also noted that Bruce and Smith were very physical not giving Villy or Coughlan much space. Coughlan was showing some frustration as did McCoy.

I know it's only scrimmage but if Bruce and Smith can bring that effort on a nightly basis it looks good for the d going into this and next season.

We all know Blonda and Dean have 2 of the 16 year old spots but I could see Smith having a chance if that's the effort he continues to give.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
A couple things I noticed at the 630 scrimmage yesterday.

They had Musty with Walton and Chitironi, they also had Klinkhammer with Villy and Coughlan.

Also noted that Bruce and Smith were very physical not giving Villy or Coughlan much space. Coughlan was showing some frustration as did McCoy.

I know it's only scrimmage but if Bruce and Smith can bring that effort on a nightly basis it looks good for the d going into this and next season.

We all know Blonda and Dean have 2 of the 16 year old spots but I could see Smith having a chance if that's the effort he continues to give.
I heard Kearns very physical today as well.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I heard Kearns very physical today as well.
Didn't see tonight's game unfortunately but if it was like the other two last night another good sign for the young d core.

I see spots opening up during the season. Right now I think we look like

McCoy - Deangelis
Ewels - Blonda
Jackson - Bruce
O'Dell

I would like to split McCoy and Deangelis to help the young guys but don't know which one can handle the minutes.

Kearns and Smith maybe starts in Espo or with Cubs

With blue and white game in the morning I imagine they make cuts tonight.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Didn't see tonight's game unfortunately but if it was like the other two last night another good sign for the young d core.

I see spots opening up during the season. Right now I think we look like

McCoy - Deangelis
Ewels - Blonda
Jackson - Bruce
O'Dell

Kearns and Smith maybe starts in Espo or with Cubs

With blue and white game in the morning I imagine they make cuts tonight.
signings as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad