Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Someone to watch who was added to camp, is Tyler Fortson. An American kid who played with soo eagles last season. Very good skater.

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Observations from afternoon scrimmage:
Blonda comes as advertised, elite skater and handles puck exceptionally well. Seems to join or lead rush often, physical side of game will be put to the test as a 16yr old but special player. Chitaroni is a gear above all other forwards, he’s ready for the O. Clayton looks bigger, stronger and plays with grit. Dean, quick and anticipates very well. Showed off shot today with nice snipe.
Also liked Mazniak, Henderson,Walker,Savage,Kearns.
Henderson has a maturity about him and a great engine, always hounds pucks and makes great plays.
Kearns is big, strong and fearless. By far the most physical player in OCamp. Steps up well as a D and very good on wall. You must keep your head up when he is on the ice, for your own safety. For a big and young player he moves very good but maybe not quite good enough for this level at his age. He looks special because his style of play is rare. Will tell more tomorrow when big boys hit the ice.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Observations from afternoon scrimmage:
Blonda comes as advertised, elite skater and handles puck exceptionally well. Seems to join or lead rush often, physical side of game will be put to the test as a 16yr old but special player. Chitaroni is a gear above all other forwards, he’s ready for the O. Clayton looks bigger, stronger and plays with grit. Dean, quick and anticipates very well. Showed off shot today with nice snipe.
Also liked Mazniak, Henderson,Walker,Savage,Kearns.
Henderson has a maturity about him and a great engine, always hounds pucks and makes great plays.
Kearns is big, strong and fearless. By far the most physical player in OCamp. Steps up well as a D and very good on wall. You must keep your head up when he is on the ice, for your own safety. For a big and young player he moves very good but maybe not quite good enough for this level at his age. He looks special because his style of play is rare. Will tell more tomorrow when big boys hit the ice.
Detailed. Thx. Keep an eye on Fortson when you see him hit the ice.

Re,: Henderson, u18 pick, 12th overall this year. His former coach thinks he'll make the team. Has signed with Listowel for next season if he doesn't play OHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Got back from the first scrimmage. My main takeaway is I look forward to us all joining the Henry Doucet fan club.

Hopefully the pace can increase and passing can be a bit more crisp as the week goes. Interested to see what we've got in some of these players.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Got back from the first scrimmage. My main takeaway is I look forward to us all joining the Henry Doucet fan club.

Hopefully the pace can increase and passing can be a bit more crisp as the week goes. Interested to see what we've got in some of these players.
Doucet had his best showing in the last scrimmage. Look good. Liked Horgan, Wreggitt, Kearns, ODell and Mckee on back end. Ewles and Klinkhammer look a real good add to the bundle of draft picks we got back from Flint.
Jackson belongs. Also liked Clayton and always like Mazanik.
All returning players looked good. Villy already being Villy. All goalies were good but Beites real good.
Next scrimmage: 6pm

Reactions: I Loveallsports

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Doucet had his best showing in the last scrimmage. Look good. Liked Horgan, Wreggitt, Kearns, ODell and Mckee on back end. Ewles and Klinkhammer look a real good add to the bundle of draft picks we got back from Flint.
All returning players looked good. Villy already being Villy. All goalies were good but Beites real good.
Anything on Fortson? In lineup for 6?

wolves truefan

Sep 11, 2023
but what your saying we could have 4 16 year olds 2 forward and 2 defenseman

SudWolf

Aug 20, 2024

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
As far as OHL veterans go, all I will say, is I hope the new coach lives up to his word, no spots guaranteed, some of them need to be showing more of an effort.

SudWolf

Aug 20, 2024
What I saw on Tuesday:
The best players on the ice were Blonda and Jackson.
Blonda was very impressive with skating speed and stick handling. My only concern is that he joins the rush too much leaving an inexperienced forward playing full-on defensive rolls. Overall, he probably spent about 50% of his gamed up front with the forwards. That's too much.
Jackson didn't really do anything special but played with confidence making clean passes and defending well. You could tell that he has experience at the OHL level.
H. Chitaroni underwhelmed a bit. I think that maybe he was trying too hard; maybe needs to simplify his game a little. His try-out last year was very impressive and I thought that he had would have had a good chance last year of making the team had it not been for the Wolves already stacked up on the front lines with experienced players. He also seemed small last year. He had a good run in the NOJHL last year putting up big numbers and he'll have a great chance of making the team.
Mazanik has excellent skating speed and looked impressive. He'll likely get a few unexpected looks from team management.
Dean seems to have good physical presence but not sure if he is OHL ready. To be honest, I would need to see more of his play. It should be a young team this year so maybe there is an opportunity in there.
Didn't notice Doucet much but that doesn't mean anything; just can't really provide any feedback.
Kearns seemed to be trying to make his way onto the team as the tough guy. Was involved in one fight. Later, he was trying to instigate one with Blonda. Personally, seems bizarre to me that he'd go this route and risk injuring the Wolves top draft pick. I can't imagine that management were impressed. Imagine trying out for the Penguins and, in your first year, you go after Crosby. Recommendation: If you are going to demonstrate tough guy skills, do with someone further down the ranking.
As for the goalies, none of them really stood out. They have potential but I didn't see anything to pick one out over the other. I imagine Krawchuk will get the start with one of these young players joining him as a back up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As far as 16 year olds I believe the max in the line up is 3 maybe 4

four carded 16 yr olds; first two selections and any two others can play 10+ games. Affiliates can get past that number of games once the season of their club team is complete.
More true rookies can dress in emergency though, Niagara had 7 in games the final weeks of last season.

Reactions: SudWolf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad