Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Cannot trade an import the first year he is drafted anyways. But if he comes to the Soo, Brkin may be available, but as an OA goalie, Sudbury would have to move one OA forward.

There is a trade window that opens up at some point for first year imports. I'm not sure when but it's there. We could have traded UPL during that window last year.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
He struggled out of the gate, was benched in favour of rookie Brochu, and didn't handle it very well. Needs fresh start and attitude adjustment.

Since you’ve seen more of him then we have, where would you rank him in the league? At the very least he’s an upgrade on what we have now.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Since you’ve seen more of him then we have, where would you rank him in the league? At the very least he’s an upgrade on what we have now.
He improved throughout the season last year, stole the starting job from Raaymakers and played well in the playoffs ultimately losing to Guelph in 7. Where does he rank? If he can return to form, then the team in front of him will play with a lot of confidence. I wouldn't put him in the same class as Jones, Andree, or Daws but in the next tier.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

lost playing time to a rookie, sulked his way out of London, and did not make two year 0.878 SV% Langevin expendable. I’m not so sure he is an improvement. I would not just hand over starters job to Kooy; and, not at all confident he would be a good 1a.

Reactions: justawolfan

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
8 days and to prove just how foolish Papineau was this year. Over valued his players. Assessed what??? Same guys doing the same mistakes and same guys playing without consistency and urgency all season or their entire career to date. If you don’t have a proper supporting cast your team will not win in the playoffs. So in essence getting a bonafide forward, dman and goalie means nothing when the rest of your team has not really shown what they can do when playing without a Byfield. We just don’t have enough. I say we hold onto Byfield with hopes he returns next season and unload some of our vets like Levin, Carson, Gilhula, Murray and Stratis to try and get some pieces to add to Byfield, Thompson, Philips, Ross, McCallum, Larmond, Stillman etc... Papineau is out of his league.

WJ

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
8 days and to prove just how foolish Papineau was this year. Over valued his players. Assessed what??? Same guys doing the same mistakes and same guys playing without consistency and urgency all season or their entire career to date. If you don’t have a proper supporting cast your team will not win in the playoffs. So in essence getting a bonafide forward, dman and goalie means nothing when the rest of your team has not really shown what they can do when playing without a Byfield. We just don’t have enough. I say we hold onto Byfield with hopes he returns next season and unload some of our vets like Levin, Carson, Gilhula, Murray and Stratis to try and get some pieces to add to Byfield, Thompson, Philips, Ross, McCallum, Larmond, Stillman etc... Papineau is out of his league.

WJ

Could you imagine how stupid Papineau would look if he did this and Byfield didn't return next season?! I mean he already looks pretty stupid by doing nothing at this point, but lets give him his 8 days to hopefully prove people wrong.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

WJ

Put in your Resume.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

WJ

I disagree...

I think we all expected this team to be better then it is right now. You wouldn't be as passionate and disappointed about the way the year is going if you didn't.

Byfield won't be back next year! That thinking is rather foolish.

Levin and Carson both OA. You would get a mid round pick at best for them. Not anything that you can expect to help you.

Gilhula and Statis are OA candidates next year but you just pretty much said these guys are terrible and a contending team can't expect to win with these players. What would you be able to get for them? Who wants an over valued 19 year old? Maybe a 3rd for Statis and 4th for Gilhula? That's the value your putting on them in the above comment. Why trade them for that?

Murray is a tradable asset for sure! A team would want to scoop him up for a run for sure. Dangerous top6 forward who produces a point a game. Can probably get a couple 2nd and a 3rd for him. He's a really good 18 year old and will be a great 19 year old next year. If Hurricanes are worried about his compete level the buying team might even get an OA year out of him.

I think you could sell Hutcheson if you wanted to as well.

I just don't think selling is the best option right now. I don't think Byfield will be back but if he is you would still be in a dog fight with a really tough Barrie team.

Reactions: howlman

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
If you watch Byfield at the World Jrs. it is obvious he is not ready to jump to the NHL. He will be back...bet on it!

Teams don't make these decisions based on a 7 game tournament especially one that he was never expected to carry the load. Byfield has the skill and talent to burst out at any time and be a dominant player on the ice. We would be lucky if he is returned to a league that he has completely dominated this year!

I don't think he would get much out of playing junior again next year. IMO

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Totally agree with Byfield's talent... very scary! But he is very 'green/inexperienced'. He would be a force if he returns. Look forward to seeing him next year!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If you watch Byfield at the World Jrs. it is obvious he is not ready to jump to the NHL. He will be back...bet on it!

I wouldn't judge Byfield on this tournament, he has played a lesser role so far, he has all the goods. If you look at Jack Hughes he didn't light it up at WJC, and he is on NJ. I watched Byfield at this tournament he playing well except the Russia game, it doesn't show on scoreboard but doing well. He will only get stronger next year, his size and skill he is already NHL ready.

If he comes back bonus for the Wolves, I don't see it.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Totally agree with Byfield's talent... very scary! But he is very 'green/inexperienced'. He would be a force if he returns. Look forward to seeing him next year!

I hope your right but I'm not as optimistic as you. I've seen him dominate this level. I expect to see him with an NHL team next year. Much like Kirby Dach who didn't even make this junior team last year. This tournament is not the be all end all.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I disagree...

I think we all expected this team to be better then it is right now. You wouldn't be as passionate and disappointed about the way the year is going if you didn't.

Byfield won't be back next year! That thinking is rather foolish.

Levin and Carson both OA. You would get a mid round pick at best for them. Not anything that you can expect to help you.

Gilhula and Statis are OA candidates next year but you just pretty much said these guys are terrible and a contending team can't expect to win with these players. What would you be able to get for them? Who wants an over valued 19 year old? Maybe a 3rd for Statis and 4th for Gilhula? That's the value your putting on them in the above comment. Why trade them for that?

Murray is a tradable asset for sure! A team would want to scoop him up for a run for sure. Dangerous top6 forward who produces a point a game. Can probably get a couple 2nd and a 3rd for him. He's a really good 18 year old and will be a great 19 year old next year. If Hurricanes are worried about his compete level the buying team might even get an OA year out of him.

I think you could sell Hutcheson if you wanted to as well.

I just don't think selling is the best option right now. I don't think Byfield will be back but if he is you would still be in a dog fight with a really tough Barrie team.

This is my exact point. He waited to long to shuffle the deck of those players who I mentioned. He has assessed long enough. Those guys when they were riding a bit of a high is the time he should of dealt them out. Trading them now is just an attempt to get what you can for them. You are telling me that you would buy giving up the minimal picks and young players left to win a round. The fact you say Stratis is only worth a 4th and Levin mid round tells us how bad this team is and going for it at this point is a mute point. Losing to seller dwellers in both conferences didn’t tell the tale then we really don’t have a lot of smart hockey people in this forum. Just being honest we were better last year and could not compete past round 2. Stick a fork in it Papineau sat on his hands way to long. He didn’t manage right. And that’s obvious. We can all mostly agree about that.

WJ

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Murray is a tradable asset for sure! A team would want to scoop him up for a run for sure. Dangerous top6 forward who produces a point a game.

I dont believe this to be true. There have been dozens of post explaining that this is the weakest division in the league. If he was as dangerous as you believe, he would have many more points in a weak division. If he were in the West, would he be a point a game? Not sure but watching him the last several years, I believe some coaches would have him on 3rd or 4th lines. He is over valued IMO.

To be clear, I have stated that this team is nowhere as good as UPL made them look and that this team was in a rebuild last year. It wasn’t done, and now there is a real asset again to move for the good of this team and really repair a dysfunctional organization. These are tough decisions and I don’t envy Mr. Papineau’s job.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I dont believe this to be true. There have been dozens of post explaining that this is the weakest division in the league. If he was as dangerous as you believe, he would have many more points in a weak division. If he were in the West, would he be a point a game? Not sure but watching him the last several years, I believe some coaches would have him on 3rd or 4th lines. He is over valued IMO.

To be clear, I have stated that this team is nowhere as good as UPL made them look and that this team was in a rebuild last year. It wasn’t done, and now there is a real asset again to move for the good of this team and really repair a dysfunctional organization. These are tough decisions and I don’t envy Mr. Papineau’s job.

If Murray was available, I'd think the Gens would be in on him for sure. He'd be back next year and he's from Whitby

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Take him! Noel, Gross and McLean for Murray, McCallum and Weeks a second a third.

WJ

Based on a lot of the posters comments on Murray, it sounds like you don't want Noel.

Seems to be lots of hating on Murray for high end skill but inconsistency, which is what you'll also get from Noel

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad