Value of: Strong package from Buffalo at the draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He's not a wrecking ball, but is Jason Robertson of interest? Not that he's available, but imo he's a guy the Stars should probably trade before his next contract.
My own view of Buffalo and our GMs differ a lot but I'd say we lack:
1st line talent
Two way forwards with a physical element
Top 6 center
Bottom 6 center

Robertson fall in my first category, I live in europe so hard to watch western teams - no idea about his value beyond that he's a good player.

His cap hit is a bit of a challenge down the line so we'd have to include guys that need extensions in the coming two seasons: Peterka, Jokiharju and Krebs.
Quinn could also be available, he's our best winger but my guess is we won't get good value for him based on injuries.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Is Tkachuk better than Eichel? Because that’s more than we got for Eich.

At the time of the trade:
Peterka < Tuch
Sabres 1st > knights 1st
Kulich > Krebs
Jokiharju > nothing

Could we afford to give up those assets? Yeah, I think so. Should we, for just Tkachuk? That looks like a pretty lousy value proposition to me.
Rosen+kulich+1st maybe?

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Know they wouldnt even entertain, but svechnikov fits this description.
I feel like Joker would fit in well with Carolina and jjp would add an element of speed and scoring which they lack same with kulich and a top ten pick would allow them to retool their team and still be competitive honestly from a sabres' perspective this is a hope and pray move, the package that is, to finally push us into contention we are giving up jjp and Joker who are good players right now that are still very young while giving up kulich who looks like he could be a top/middle six goal scorer in the very near future along with a top 10 pick super solid quantity package that should get a top line player top 6 wing, top 4 rhd, bluechip prospect and top 10 pick would be one of the biggest trades in a while

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Excellent package of players but it doesn’t touch the core. IMO the Sabres should keep the youngest guys (and prospects who are A level and soon to arrive) and move on from a core guy. They need to change their culture. Who are the Sabre core player? Attach one of those guys to the 2024 first and go after a key core piece (Brady Tkatchuk?) coming back.
Some think Peterka is part of the core and he's still on ELC -- and he's a very good winger, with speed and scoring touch. But he doesn't make life hard for defenders, and that's what's needed.

Similarly, Jokiharju is 24yo and a decent #4D. But he's not going to play 4D with Power and Samuelsson on the second pair. He might be a contributing piece for someone, though.

Mittelstadt was the core player most likely to move, and now he's gone (for what looks to be a great return). Would like to move Skinner, but that's going to take some serious creativity.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Some think Peterka is part of the core and he's still on ELC -- and he's a very good winger, with speed and scoring touch. But he doesn't make life hard for defenders, and that's what's needed.

Similarly, Jokiharju is 24yo and a decent #4D. But he's not going to play 4D with Power and Samuelsson on the second pair. He might be a contributing piece for someone, though.

Mittelstadt was the core player most likely to move, and now he's gone (for what looks to be a great return). Would like to move Skinner, but that's going to take some serious creativity.
Peterka is all of 22 with 144 NHL games and he has 20 goals and 18 assists in 65. He sure is making life hard. He has great speed, a great shot and he will be capable of a more mature game. If you wanna throw Tkachuk out there, let's start talking. Guys like Boone Jenner, I'm waiving goodbye.

I'm lost as to why so many people want to trade Jokiharju now. The guy has two years of RFA control and I guess I have to see if he is $3 M to $4 million or more than that. He is having his best in the league maybe and he's an RD. The Sabres D now looks formidable with Dahlin/Power/Byrom/Samuelson with Clifton and Joker. Not to mention Ryan Johnson who can start in Rochester and be available for injuries that will happen.

For me, I wanna seem some real quality before either guy is moved. Skinner has a NMC clause and would waive for Toronto and that's basically it. Not sure why it always gets brought up.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The kind of player that the OP is seeking can sometimes be pried loose, but usually when he's closer to free agency. You want all those traits in a single player plus years of service remaining before free agency. Quantity for quality, at that level and at that young age, rarely works because those players don't hit the market unless it's for another player in that tier and age bracket.

Would Buffalo give up an Alex Tuch right now? No. Even for a massive glut of good futures? Still no, and he only has two more years until unrestricted free agency (July 2026). Other teams feel the same way about their gems.

The package is too good and the ask is too high. Take any one of those really good futures pieces and aim for a player that is good and complementary but not a star in the making. Maybe make two or three such moves. Keep the first rounder and for God's sake use it on a forward.
Buffalo needs to become a playoff team by next season imo….
Especially when considering a guy like Tuch…
He also performed well in playoffs… if not I’d wager tuch might want out if he doesn’t see some light at the end of the tunnel….
These guys are competitors. The all want to play in playoffs at a chance for the cup….
It wore on eichel, it wore on Reinhardt, and another year out of the dance and mark my words it will wear on tuch.

no stud competitor athlete wants to feel like they are wasting their prime playing years on a lost cause..

Sabres better make some smart moves this offseason…..

Reactions: Fatass

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo needs to become a playoff team by next season imo….
Especially when considering a guy like Tuch…
He also performed well in playoffs… if not I’d wager tuch might want out if he doesn’t see some light at the end of the tunnel….
These guys are competitors. The all want to play in playoffs at a chance for the cup….
It wore on eichel, it wore on Reinhardt, and another year out of the dance and mark my words it will wear on tuch.

no stud competitor athlete wants to feel like they are wasting their prime playing years on a lost cause..

Sabres better make some smart moves this offseason…..

Tuch is from the Buffalo area and grew up a massive Sabres fan. You literally couldn’t name a guy on the team less likely to want out.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Tuch is from the Buffalo area and grew up a massive Sabres fan. There’s nobody on the team less likely to want to bail.
That’s great…. But losing has a habit of wearing on you…
If the sabres fall flat again next season, we’ll revisit this convo…
I’m not saying he wants out right now.

Every year it’s been this is where they turn the corner.
Have a lot of young talent etc….
But it’s been a revolving door of coaching/Gam changes and not a great on ice product

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
How about the currently reigning Vezina winner to stabilize your franchise?

WARNING: May have severe PTSD from previously playing for the Sabres.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
What (out of the movable assets) do you think would be appropriate?
Can't speak to what Tampa would want but under the assumption they want to add Hanifin and bring Stamkos back cap space is the purpose. Krebs + Jokiharju maybe depending on how much they're looking for

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sabres would likely be willing to move:

2024 1st (let's say 10OA)
one young roster player (Jokiharju, maybe Peterka)
a very good prospect (Isak Rosen, maybe Noah Ostlund).

This is a good package for a team accelerating a retool or rebuild.

They need a shirt-disturbing, wrecking-ball winger who can finish. Or a very good two-way center. Must have reasonable salary and term. Target may be a work-in-progress, but definitely not a retread or reclamation project.

What's fair trade value?
Sabres pick going to be a lot higher than 10. Way they playing.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Peterka is all of 22 with 144 NHL games and he has 20 goals and 18 assists in 65. He sure is making life hard. He has great speed, a great shot and he will be capable of a more mature game. If you wanna throw Tkachuk out there, let's start talking. Guys like Boone Jenner, I'm waiving goodbye.

I'm lost as to why so many people want to trade Jokiharju now. The guy has two years of RFA control and I guess I have to see if he is $3 M to $4 million or more than that. He is having his best in the league maybe and he's an RD. The Sabres D now looks formidable with Dahlin/Power/Byrom/Samuelson with Clifton and Joker. Not to mention Ryan Johnson who can start in Rochester and be available for injuries that will happen.

For me, I wanna seem some real quality before either guy is moved. Skinner has a NMC clause and would waive for Toronto and that's basically it. Not sure why it always gets brought up.
Peterka is starting to become the whipping boy around Buffalo. Nobody takes into account he’s been heartbroken this entire year playing without his true love Jack Quinn (who we cannot wait to get back in Buffalo).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad