Value of: Strong package from Buffalo at the draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This package at the draft is similar to what LA paid for Lucic (overpayment) and St Louis did for Schenn (underpayment). I don't know who that translates to this year. Might be fair value for a guy like Konecny but I'd think the Flyers would rather re-sign him

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Get Skinner to waive in the same deal and really juice us up with futures

The fan part of me says "Sounds good!"

BUT

I'm pretty sure that if Skinner was going to waive his NTC.....it'd be to one and mayyyyyyybe two places. Toronto and maybe possibly Detroit. He's come out and said many times that being close to his home is his #1 priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: crackdown44

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
How about we remove the 2024 1st, young roster player and prospect, and Montreal sends you Josh Anderson for something way less interesting than that package ?

The annoying thing I really think Anderson could be 20g, 40 point player if he finds the right team, with the right linemates and the right system.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yes please.

What would Calgary ask for him?
Our biggest needs are kind of similar to yours is the problem. We need young centers and young top 4 blueliners (although you likely don't now with the Byram trade). I'd be looking for a guy who has a shot at playing center. One of Savoie or Ostlund. From what I understand from Sabres fans Ostlund is valued higher since he has a bigger chance of being a center. I think Savoie is the bigger talent, but like you guys would prefer Ostlund because of our dearth of centers.

EDIT: How are the Cozens and Power contracts viewed right now in Buffalo? I know how I view them, but I'm curious how you guys do. I don't think Power will live up to that deal, but do think Cozens would. If Cozens was preferrable to the 2 guys I listed he'd be my target.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Our biggest needs are kind of similar to yours is the problem. We need young centers and young top 4 blueliners (although you likely don't now with the Byram trade). I'd be looking for a guy who has a shot at playing center. One of Savoie or Ostlund. From what I understand from Sabres fans Ostlund is valued higher since he has a bigger chance of being a center. I think Savoie is the bigger talent, but like you guys would prefer Ostlund because of our dearth of centers.

EDIT: How are the Cozens and Power contracts viewed right now in Buffalo? I know how I view them, but I'm curious how you guys do. I don't think Power will live up to that deal, but do think Cozens would. If Cozens was preferrable to the 2 guys I listed he'd be my target.

Seems much more likely that Coleman would be someone moved for draft picks than prospects.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seems much more likely that Coleman would be someone moved for draft picks than prospects.
He's the kind of guys I'd be good with the organization keeping honestly. Good mentor, plays the right way and takes all the hard matchups. Take him, Markstrom and Backlund away and we are basically San Jose.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Marner for Dahlin
I can't imagine Buffalo would be down for that. Marner gets underrated to some degree outside of Toronto, but you don't trade a franchise defenseman for a franchise winger. Maybe for a center you do it.

Especially not for blue chip prospects, nor high 1st RD picks
I wouldn't even consider just a low first round pick. He's an elite shutdown player. He's also going to score more than 30 goals. He's a beast on the forecheck. Easily our best forward.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres would likely be willing to move:

2024 1st (let's say 10OA)
one young roster player (Jokiharju, maybe Peterka)
a very good prospect (Isak Rosen, maybe Noah Ostlund).

This is a good package for a team accelerating a retool or rebuild.

They need a shirt-disturbing, wrecking-ball winger who can finish. Or a very good two-way center. Must have reasonable salary and term. Target may be a work-in-progress, but definitely not a retread or reclamation project.

What's fair trade value?
LOL, we are giving up Peterka to get a winger when Peterka is one of the best players from the 2020 draft. Does anyone else from that entire draft have more goals this year? Peterka is just growing into his body. He will be a beast. I don't even know how many wingers I would trade him straight up for him, and you throw, Jokiharju (two years of RFA left), a likely top 8 pick, and Ostlund in the mix. LOL Tkachuck better be coming back

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I can't imagine Buffalo would be down for that. Marner gets underrated to some degree outside of Toronto, but you don't trade a franchise defenseman for a franchise winger. Maybe for a center you do it.

I wouldn't even consider just a low first round pick. He's an elite shutdown player. He's also going to score more than 30 goals. He's a beast on the forecheck. Easily our best forward.
Marner for Dahlin? I keep forgetting how good the weed is in Toronto.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

He's 32yo signed for 2 more years at 5mil. He makes zero sense as a trade target for those types of assets from Buffalo. He's a finishing piece for a contender, in Buffalo he's a place holder. If he was 4 or 5yrs younger you could argue his worth

Reactions: Irie

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This package at the draft is similar to what LA paid for Lucic (overpayment) and St Louis did for Schenn (underpayment). I don't know who that translates to this year. Might be fair value for a guy like Konecny but I'd think the Flyers would rather re-sign him

Yeah, I don't know about that. Peterka is hell of a lot more accomplished/promising than any of the prospects/young players thrown into those trades, and that has enormous value. Guys who are good NHL players on the ELCs are worth their weight in gold.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sabres would likely be willing to move:

2024 1st (let's say 10OA)
one young roster player (Jokiharju, maybe Peterka)
a very good prospect (Isak Rosen, maybe Noah Ostlund).

This is a good package for a team accelerating a retool or rebuild.

They need a shirt-disturbing, wrecking-ball winger who can finish. Or a very good two-way center. Must have reasonable salary and term. Target may be a work-in-progress, but definitely not a retread or reclamation project.

What's fair trade value?
Bet we could get Eichel back for that package from a strapped VGK. I'm not saying we want him back (or he wants us back, with the NMC in play), just that it's about right value-wise for a luxury player making $10m w/ two years left on a cap-strapped team in need of young talent in the pipeline.

Dulind

A unique encounter, with an emphasis on safety
Aug 12, 2021
GB
I'd rather get a new owner before his ham hands continue to muck up any new acquisitions.

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
It’s very difficult for Buffalo to make a trade like this, because most players worth this package will have a NMC. Sucks to say but I think the only chance Buffalo has of getting a stud player is by developing them

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's 32yo signed for 2 more years at 5mil. He makes zero sense as a trade target for those types of assets from Buffalo. He's a finishing piece for a contender, in Buffalo he's a place holder. If he was 4 or 5yrs younger you could argue his worth
I just think the Sabres need some of that type of player. It doesn't have to be Coleman. Just some 2 way starch to their lineup. They've never done that properly. I think it's pivotal that they get some semblance of a shutdown line, otherwise I could see a 3rd consecutive rebuild.

Faksa would be a good target. Coleman would be a good target. You don't need or even want it to be someone who fits your core age range. You need it to be a guy or 2 who has played 5 to 10 years in a shutdown role and has a letter on their jersey.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Get Skinner to waive in the same deal and really juice us up with futures

Not a fan of either team, but this is actually a decent idea. Swap Peterka out for Skinner, add the 2025 1st, then have Calgary add Backlund as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad