Strome or Hanifin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Personally I believe Hanifin will be picked if he's available. Then after that, I really really like marner, but I cannot see the leafs passing on strome simply due to the comparable numbers, with size on top of it, aswell as marner possibly being a winger. Yet I would not be mad with marner.

Yet I do hope that the leafs can get another pick in the 10-15 range and pickup barzal/zacha ( I understand this is a stretch ) or another player who falls out of the top bracket of players, this through a dion or kessel trade. There are some teams that simply preformed below their abilities this year and a kessel or dion would put them on another level depth wise, this could be enticing to some teams.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
The Leafs really need a prospect that could turn into a #1 C. So for that reason I'd want Strome or Marner.

But with that said I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Hanifin.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Hanifin
Strome

Marner

Hanifin will be that stay at home defenceman that can match up against anyone and him with Rielly, that would be something to be excited over.

If Edmonton takes Hanifin then Strome with Nylander could be something in the future.

Edit: has anyone brought up how Hanifin can grow into this team? I mean depending on who is gone to start next year Strome could possibly be one of our better forwards. He also got the most points in the OHL, what more can he learn there? Where as it will be easier to keep Hanifin in the minors.

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Hanifin
Strome

Marner

Hanifin will be that stay at home defenceman that can match up against anyone and him with Rielly, that would be something to be excited over.

If Edmonton takes Hanifin then Strome with Nylander could be something in the future.

Edit: has anyone brought up how Hanifin can grow into this team? I mean depending on who is gone to start next year Strome could possibly be one of our better forwards. He also got the most points in the OHL, what more can he learn there? Where as it will be easier to keep Hanifin in the minors.
i think we end up 5th maybe still get strome or marner

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
What an absolutely perfect year to be in the top 10 again. I just hope the fervour of the average fan for their team to suck this year and possibly win the lottery doesn't **** things up for the Leafs next year to get another prime top 5 player.

Bring on Marner.

Bluejaysfan*

Hanifin
Strome

Marner

The best skating D-man in this draft and probably since Rielly is going to be a stay-at-home d-man in your eyes? Interesting.

As for Strome, I don't think it would be wise for him to be in the NHL next year. He still has things to learn in the OHL. He hasn't even been the top dog on his team for a year yet. I'd let him spend a year there to dominate without McDavid supporting him along with hopefully working on his skating.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The best skating D-man in this draft and probably since Rielly is going to be a stay-at-home d-man in your eyes? Interesting.

As for Strome, I don't think it would be wise for him to be in the NHL next year. He still has things to learn in the OHL. He hasn't even been the top dog on his team for a year yet. I'd let him spend a year there to dominate without McDavid supporting him along with hopefully working on his skating.

I hope we keep anyone we get down that we get next year. Rushing them is part of our problem.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
This is the amount of times Strome scored at each point level:

6pts - 1 time
5pts - 0 times
4pts - 9 times

3pts - 9 times ----- 87 points
2pts - 21 times ----- 48 games
1pts - 18 times ----- =1.81 PPG

0pts - 10 times

If you eleminate his 10 worst game, and 10 best (statisically speaking), you will be left with:
87 points in 48 games = 1.81 PPG
Prorate that back to a full season of 68 games = 123 points:amazed:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
This is the amount of times Strome scored at each point level:

6pts - 1 time
5pts - 0 times
4pts - 9 times

3pts - 9 times ----- 87 points
2pts - 21 times ----- 48 games
1pts - 18 times ----- =1.81 PPG

0pts - 10 times

If you eleminate his 10 worst game, and 10 best (statisically speaking), you will be left with:
87 points in 48 games = 1.81 PPG
Prorate that back to a full season of 68 games = 123 points:amazed:

Is that how many Brown got in his final year in the OHL?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I hope we keep anyone we get down that we get next year. Rushing them is part of our problem.

In a vacuum:

McDavid - Obviously NHL-ready
Eichel - Easily NHL-ready
Hanifin - Could probably do well with another year before joining
Marner - NHL-ready
Strome - Pending development of skating, might be NHL-ready

However, with how things look for next season, I'm not fond of the idea of anyone we pick getting an NHL spot right now. Not guys like Nylander either.

Of course, I believe in a process where we fill up on veterans and fringe players wanting a last chance, and create a situation of competition. And if someone blows away the competition, I think they should at least get the chance.

However, blowing away the competition should be about more than showing off talent IMO.

Bluejaysfan*

In a vacuum:

McDavid - Obviously NHL-ready
Eichel - Easily NHL-ready
Hanifin - Could probably do well with another year before joining
Marner - NHL-ready
Strome - Pending development of skating, might be NHL-ready

However, with how things look for next season, I'm not fond of the idea of anyone we pick getting an NHL spot right now. Not guys like Nylander either.

Of course, I believe in a process where we fill up on veterans and fringe players wanting a last chance, and create a situation of competition. And if someone blows away the competition, I think they should at least get the chance.

However, blowing away the competition should be about more than showing off talent IMO.

If we drafted Marner and we got rid of guys like Bozak, Lupul and Phaneuf, I'd have no problem letting him play on the 3rd line in sheltered minutes. He doesn't really have much to learn in the OHL. This isn't like Drouin who learned to play without Mackinnon or Ehlers learning to play without Drouin. Marner is the undisputed best player on his team as it is.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If we drafted Marner and we got rid of guys like Bozak, Lupul and Phaneuf, I'd have no problem letting him play on the 3rd line in sheltered minutes. He doesn't really have much to learn in the OHL. This isn't like Drouin who learned to play without Mackinnon or Ehlers learning to play without Drouin. Marner is the undisputed best player on his team as it is.

Absolutely, but we will in that case subject him to an experience of losing, losing and losing, with sprinkling of constant media criticism of the team and dissection of his game. And since we don't know what kind of players we'll still have, it might be a very frustrated group of players as well.

It could be a very toxic environment.

I also really don't like phrases such as "letting him play on the 3rd line" or "giving him a spot on the team". We shouldn't hand out spots like candy to the nicest children, they should have to fight for them.

Bluejaysfan*

Absolutely, but we will in that case subject him to an experience of losing, losing and losing, with sprinkling of constant media criticism of the team and dissection of his game. And since we don't know what kind of players we'll still have, it might be a very frustrated group of players as well.

It could be a very toxic environment.

I also really don't like phrases such as "letting him play on the 3rd line" or "giving him a spot on the team". We shouldn't hand out spots like candy to the nicest children, they should have to fight for them.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

And tbh for the losing part, Rielly doesn't seem to be bothered by it, and it's not like we're going to win before Marner plays for us. He'll have to be one of the pieces that leads us out of losing.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sorry, that's what I meant.

And tbh for the losing part, Rielly doesn't seem to be bothered by it, and it's not like we're going to win before Marner plays for us. He'll have to be one of the pieces that leads us out of losing.

Rielly seem to have a very strong character. That might not always be the case.

And sure, but he'll need the help he can get after another year of waiting.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Neither Drouin or Ehlers played another year in the Q because of that reason. In the end, both had things to work on. Virtanen isn't on the Canucks. Dal Colle isn't on the Isles. Same reasons

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Not sure Strome or Marner could make this team next year regardless. Being big fish in juniors doesn't mean anything in the NHL. You have to learn how to play in more cramped confines where nothing is given to you like it is in junior.

Bluejaysfan*

Neither Drouin or Ehlers played another year in the Q because of that reason. In the end, both had things to work on. Virtanen isn't on the Canucks. Dal Colle isn't on the Isles. Same reasons

Virtanen and Dall Colle aren't really good comparables for Marner. He's a borderline top 3 talent. Ask yourself this, if we had drafted Seguin 2nd overall instead of the Bruins, would you have wanted him to play in the NHL his first year or put in the OHL? I'm indifferent, I just think people are going a bit overboard with the whole developing thing. Yeah it's wise for most prospects to spend 2-3 years in the CHL/AHL before getting called up but that doesn't mean every prospect has to follow that same timeline. There isn't a magic formula that's consistent for every player.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

The sooner you play them on the big club the sooner you have to make a contract decision. Another year of junior and a full or part year in the AHL allows the parent to get ready for them and vice versa.

The 1st RFA contract date comes along quickly. Unless you are seriously in the playoff hunt or Cup bound - what's the hurry honestly?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Virtanen and Dall Colle aren't really good comparables for Marner. He's a borderline top 3 talent. Ask yourself this, if we had drafted Seguin 2nd overall instead of the Bruins, would you have wanted him to play in the NHL his first year or put in the OHL? I'm indifferent, I just think people are going a bit overboard with the whole developing thing. Yeah it's wise for most prospects to spend 2-3 years in the CHL/AHL before getting called up but that doesn't mean every prospect has to follow that same timeline. There isn't a magic formula that's consistent for every player.

Of course not, but most prospects don't weight 165 lbs socking wet either, or have been given the reins over the course of a full season as a #1 center like Strome. Just because a prospect can play in the NHL, (Drouin and Ehlers are perfect examples) doesn't mean they should

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The sooner you play them on the big club the sooner you have to make a contract decision. Another year of junior and a full or part year in the AHL allows the parent to get ready for them and vice versa.

The 1st RFA contract date comes along quickly. Unless you are seriously in the playoff hunt or Cup bound - what's the hurry honestly?

Exactly. We got Panik because of this, and might have gotten Palat if TB kept Drouin and decided, wrongly, that Panik was the guy to keep

Bluejaysfan*

Of course not, but most prospects don't weight 165 lbs socking wet either, or have been given the reins over the course of a full season as a #1 center like Strome. Just because a prospect can play in the NHL, (Drouin and Ehlers are perfect examples) doesn't mean they should

Kane was 162 pounds when he was drafted and he made the jump right after being drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad