Strome or Hanifin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Strome could be a Thornton type.

How is Hanifin losing this?

Hanifin could be an Ekblad type prospect.

Read this from future considerations

"The 2015 draft’s top defenseman…a smart and powerful two-way force… big, but very mobile... moves well with good speed and agility…uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play."

A stud do it all D.

I'd be happy with Strome and I picture us taking him, but thats because I don't see how Hanifin will slide past Edmonton.

Durkin67

I was lukewarm on Reilly when it was announced, hoping that Burke would have traded up and landed a stud top 6 forward. Now, we can all agree that He is an absolute gem.

I'd love to hear Strome called to the stage when the Leafs pick, and I'm warming to the idea of Marner, but if Hanifin is our guy, I'm not gonna cry.

I like this argument for adding a stud blue liner, by Josh Cooper at Yahoo Sports:

"While an elite center is arguably the most important position in hockey, the last team that won without a true cornerstone defenseman was probably Carolina in 2005-06. And that team was so loaded at forward, it didn’t need an incredible defenseman. It was a true outlier"

So, the question must be asked; if Hanifin is on the board, do you take the 4th best centre available in the draft, or the top blue liner, who, on any other year, might go one or two?

Last edited by a moderator:

CalgaryLeaf*

I was lukewarm on Reilly when it was announced, hoping that Burke would have traded up and landed a stud top 6 forward. Now, we can al agree that He is an absolute gem.

I'd love to hear Strome called to the stage when the Leafs pick, and I'm warming to the idea of Marner, but if Hanifin is our guy, I'm not gonna cry.

I like this argument for adding a stud blue liner, by Josh Cooper at Yahoo Sports:

"While an elite center is arguably the most important position in hockey, the last team that won without a true cornerstone defenseman was probably Carolina in 2005-06. And that team was so loaded at forward, it didn’t need an incredible defenseman. It was a true outlier"

So, the question met be asked; if Hanifin is on the board, do you take the 4th best centre available in the draft, or the top blue liner, who, on any other year, might go one or two?

There's no significance to your #1 D in the draft vs #4 center argument.

First of all, many qualified scouts and hockey execs have Strome rated as the #3 player in this draft...Let's be clear here,most have him as the #3 center.

It's simply a draft that has 3-4-5 excellent center prospects.

Who's to say that the 3rd best center in this unusual draft is not better than the best defenseman?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I was lukewarm on Reilly when it was announced, hoping that Burke would have traded up and landed a stud top 6 forward. Now, we can all agree that He is an absolute gem.

So, the question must be asked; if Hanifin is on the board, do you take the 4th best centre available in the draft, or the top blue liner, who, on any other year, might go one or two?

I'd argue Pitt won without a true elite D. My opinion of Letang's defensive skills is pretty low though.

Anywho, at this stage I'll be thrilled with any of the 3. Strome is top of my list, but any of them will make me a very happy Leafs fan.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I was lukewarm on Reilly when it was announced, hoping that Burke would have traded up and landed a stud top 6 forward. Now, we can al agree that He is an absolute gem.

So, the question met be asked; if Hanifin is on the board, do you take the 4th best centre available in the draft, or the top blue liner, who, on any other year, might go one or two?

A lot of the recent updated scouting lists have Strome at 3 now, so one could say on a normal year he would be one and Hanifin would be 2 (or it would be one of those wait til the draft to know).

I am soooo torn on this one. If we are in it for a long rebuild/complete tear down than maybe it makes sense to get a D now because they take longer to develop and with the depth of this draft perhaps a skilled center can still be snagged with the Nashville pick.

The flip side is ....I am so sick of Bozak as our number one C and we have found getting one impossible for what 8 years now ? (no offense to Kadri but I like him better as an elite #2 C one day). D is our organizational strength if we have one with 2-4 guys on the farm who could really make cases next year. None of them are Hinifin but the gap between Hanifin and say Percy while large is not as great as say McKegg and Strome (though that might be debated).

Reflecting on all of this all I can conclude is I am going to trust our scouts and love whoever they pick. I think this is a draft where we can't pick wrong. I guess I lean slightly toward Strome because I would love a 6'3" number one center some day, assuming he achieves his potential.

Durkin67

There's no significance to your #1 D in the draft vs #4 center argument.

First of all, many qualified scouts and hockey execs have Strome rated as the #3 player in this draft...Let's be clear here,most have him as the #3 center.

It's simply a draft that has 3-4-5 excellent center prospects.

Who's to say that the 3rd best center in this unusual draft is not better than the best defenseman?

That's one perspective...

The point being that Hanifin is widely considered a cornerstone type talent. Strome a really great 2C with POTENTIAL for more.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

The point being that Hanifin is widely considered a cornerstone type talent. Strome a really great 2C with POTENTIAL for more.

I have never seen a scouting report that rates him as less than number one C potential (if you can direct me to one I would appreciate it). Also considering he is ranked above Hinifin now it seems unlikely Hanifin is a franchise player and Strome is not. Just my take.

bursilym

Jan 9, 2014
Considering hanifin as sure fire to Edmonton as McDavid is too 1st overall, this discussion is for not.

Marner vs strome is the more sensible question.

I'd go for Strome over Marner. Marner might just be a winger plus we need more size. I also think Strome will end up being better.

Durkin67

I have never seen a scouting report that rates him as less than number one C potential (if you can direct me to one I would appreciate it). Also considering he is ranked above Hinifin now it seems unlikely Hanifin is a franchise player and Strome is not. Just my take.

My impression from all I have read is that Strome is considered an excellent player (obviously) but not quite in the company of the league's best centers. His coach says he has "top two center potential".

Here's a blurb from another pretty perceptive and in depth evaluation:

He projects as a second line center and could get there within 18 months. The team that drafts him may be tempted to have him play in the NHL next year, and Strome may be able to tread water at that level, but his development would be best served by one more season with Erie. There is also a reasonable chance that he could eventually rise to the level of top line center, but there is very low risk if second line is the projection.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/around-the-ohl-strome-is-the-real-deal/

All things considered, we are going to a better looking team in 2 years regardless of who they pick,
but Strome isn't Sundin 2.0, and Hanifin would quickly become the best d man on the roster, making the likes of Phaneuf quite replaceable.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
My impression from all I have read is that Strome is considered an excellent player (obviously). His coach says he has "top two center potential".

Here's a blurb from another pretty perceptive and in depth evaluation:

He projects as a second line center and could get there within 18 months. The team that drafts him may be tempted to have him play in the NHL next year, and Strome may be able to tread water at that level, but his development would be best served by one more season with Erie. There is also a reasonable chance that he could eventually rise to the level of top line center, but there is very low risk if second line is the projection.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/around-the-ohl-strome-is-the-real-deal/

All things considered, we are going to a better looking team in 2 years regardless of who they pick,
but Strome isn't Sundin 2.0, and Hanifin would quickly become the best d man on the roster, making the likes of Phaneuf quite replaceable.

Interesting, thanks Durkin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'm not sure that Dylan Strome is actually projected as a number 2 center by anyone. The only thing that limits his potential to be a number one seems to be the fact that the Leafs might be in a position to draft him, "so adjust expectations accordingly" type thing.

Durkin67

pleasure. I wish I had more first hand intel on these guys; Im just not on the North American continent enough to have that luxury.

Durkin67

I'm not sure that Dylan Strome is actually projected as a number 2 center by anyone. The only thing that limits his potential to be a number one seems to be the fact that the Leafs might be in a position to draft him, "so adjust expectations accordingly" type thing.

Please see above...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And you're in agreement?

It's basically as credible as any other write up on the internet that says otherwise, no?

All I want is the Leafs to stock up on bluechip center prospects until that position is a strength and not a weakness.

Durkin67

It's basically as credible as any other write up on the internet that says otherwise, no?

All I want is the Leafs to stock up on bluechip center prospects until that position is a strength and not a weakness.

I don't get that. That would suggest that all opinions are equal, because they've been published on the internet. I don't share that opinion. His coach says he's a top 2 centreman at the pro level. That doesn't scream Joe Thornton or Anze Kopitar to me. He's more of a Johansen type from what I can gather. Maybe RNH, who also doesn't scream elite to me at this point. Excellent, but does that mean top 5-6 centre in the league?

I'd rather they stock up on the best pieces available regardless of position and trade and deal as needed to achieve the balance and chemistry that best serves the organisation.

Hanifin makes Phaneuf immediately expendable. The consensus seems to be that he will be NHL ready right out of the box. And, the return for Dion will be significant, even if the Leafs eat a million.

As much as I drool at the thought of a legit top 2 centerman who stands 6'3'' tall, I really like what Hanifin would offer to a team that SUCKS in its own end and can't transition or skate the puck out without turning it over in the neutral zone.

I remember being really bummed that we didn't end up with Galy in 2012, but I'm not sure I'd trade Rielly straight up for him today. Burke had him rated higher than Yak. Anyone disagree today?

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Id take Hanifin. The kid is just so smooth, he looks like a lock for a future #1 D. Shuts down opposition offense and gets it going the other way. Reads the play better than any dman I've seen coming into the draft, and has good tools.

Regardless, cant miss at #4. The entire top 10 is loaded this year

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't get that. That would suggest that all opinions are equal, because they've been published on the internet. I don't share that opinion. His coach says he's a top 2 centreman at the pro level. That doesn't scream Joe Thornton or Anze Kopitar to me. He's more of a Johansen type from what I can gather. Maybe RNH, who also doesn't scream elite to me at this point. Excellent, but does that mean top 5-6 centre in the league?

Uhh, if we can draft a Ryan Johansen type that is 100% what we should be doing.

Durkin67

Id take Hanifin. The kid is just so smooth, he looks like a lock for a future #1 D. Shuts down opposition offense and gets it going the other way. Reads the play better than any dman I've seen coming into the draft, and has good tools.

Regardless, cant miss at #4. The entire top 10 is loaded this year

Yeah man. I can't help thinking the same thing. Strome has huge upside, but Hanifin just seems to have all the tools, the headspace, the wheels, and the full three zone game all wrapped up.

He could be to TOR what Pietrangelo is to the Blues.

Durkin67

Uhh, if we can draft a Ryan Johansen type that is 100% what we should be doing.

Your opinion. If we can draft a Pietrangelo, I'd say that is of equal importance especially for the worst defensive team in the league, and pretty much in league history over the last couple years

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Your opinion. If we can draft a Pietrangelo, I'd say that is of equal importance especially for the worst defensive team in the league, and pretty much in league history over the last couple years
I agree. Hanifin looks like a near-generational talent to me. Strome may become a top line centre but I think his impact will be less. Now if we can somehow snatch Barzal by trading our assets, we'd go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad