Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
Question. Are the Oilers allowed to trade the rights of one of the players during the 7 day matching period? And then the new team can then match the offer sheet.

If possible, may allow them to get a bit better return. Than just a 2nd for Broberg or a 3rd for Holloway.

I do know there is a 1 year ban on trading the players once signed. Just didn't know if they could be traded prior to matching or making decision not to match.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No that's not accurate. An offer sheet has to be signed by the player for it to be formally submitted to the league. Maybe teams do extend offer sheets every summer to players but if the player doesn't sign it then it means nothing. Both Broberg and Holloway signed the OS's this time so an announcement was made.
Yeah, an offer sheet without the player signing it is nothing - its just an offer letter basically, like any other contract that hasn't been signed yet. We wouldn't hear about any unsigned OS's.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Question. Are the Oilers allowed to trade the rights of one of the players during the 7 day matching period? And then the new team can then match the offer sheet.

If possible, may allow them to get a bit better return. Than just a 2nd for Broberg or a 3rd for Holloway.

I do know there is a 1 year ban on trading the players once signed. Just didn't know if they could be traded prior to signing.
I can't answer your question, but I don't think we could trade Broberg for a 2nd at 4.5M in salary. That's a steep price for him. Holloway might be tradeable for a 3rd at this OS though.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I know you hate the Oil I saw you in the playoff thread, saying things like the Oilers have useless players is just petty bro.
Are you saying Nurse, Campbell, Brown, Ceci, Kane (the players I was referring to as useless) have lived up to their contracts? Do you seriously think someone like Jeff Skinner is worth losing two of your top young players?

Bond

May 10, 2012

I do know there is a 1 year ban on trading the players once signed. Just didn't know if they could be traded prior to signing.
What else would they get? They are now expensive

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

I do know there is a 1 year ban on trading the players once signed. Just didn't know if they could be traded prior to matching or making decision not to match.
Negative. The players will either be members of the Oilers or Blues, whatever Edmonton decides.

Edit: I was wrong, apparently they can't be traded until a year later

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Like Bourgault, Carter Savoie, Matvey Petrov and Tyler Tullio? McLeod?

They've got a weak pipeline to say the least. Savoie from Buffalo is about it and he's 20 and tiny. Could be a good second liner in a few years when Drai and McDavid are gone.
I don't follow, sorry. The question I quoted was how Blues fans feel about it. I was responding, I'm a Blues fan, Blues pipeline was my reference

Bond

May 10, 2012
Negative. The players will either be members of the Oilers or Blues, whatever Edmonton decides.

The players can be traded immediately after the offer sheet is settled, but not before
Nah, they can't be traded for a year once the OS settles

Reactions: JKG33

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
I can't answer your question, but I don't think we could trade Broberg for a 2nd at 4.5M in salary. That's a steep price for him. Holloway might be tradeable for a 3rd at this OS though.
Agreed on the value. 4.5m is high in salary. But could get a different type of return. Player, prospect, etc.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Would the league allow St Louis to rescind it’s trade with Pittsburgh?

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

The players can be traded immediately after the offer sheet is settled, but not before
So I guess Oilers will match, then offer up both players the highest bidder if they can't fit them in before start of season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I wonder if the Blues even really want Holloway, or if it is part of gamesmanship to get Broberg? If they didn't make the OS to Holloway, and we could get him for around 1.2 - 1.5 like we were expecting, it would be easier to match the OS on Broberg, but having that extra 1M going to Holloway, if we match, makes it harder to match the Broberg OS. I wonder if Armstrong isn't trying to outsmart Bowman here, and is using Holloway as pawn to increase the odds of the Broberg deal not being matched.

He’s really not needed on the Blues, it just puts more pressure on the Oilers. But if he can be acquired for a 3rd, it’s a good deal. Cant ever hurt adding assets for cheap.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So I guess Oilers will match, then offer up both players the highest bidder if they can't fit them in before start of season.
Nope. If they match it, they can't trade either player for a year. They could match and then trade someone else to make the space work though.

What a big ball move
Signing 2 offer sheets to the same team is a big ball move, ha ha. I would love this if it wasn't the Oilers on the wrong end of it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Really weird offer sheets. Ya former first rounders but neither has lived up to anything and the financial price is not cheap considering neither is an NHL regular yet. Interesting to see how this ones ends up.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yes, I'm sure they are going to ask for a 1st for a player that has 1 or 2 years left on his deal at a decent cap hit in today's NHL.

Ceci has 1 year left at 3.25 mil per.
Kulak has 2 years left at 2.75 mil per.

Given that they know Edmonton is desperate because they're being losing a better player in Broberg, what incentive do they have to help you without bloated compensation? Especially not for a widely inconsistent bottom six defenseman in Ceci who didn't exactly have a glowing playoff, or two years of Kulak.

They may be moveable but it will definitely come with a cost.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Nope. If they match it, they can't trade either player for a year. They could match and then trade someone else to make the space work though.
Wow! Bad move not signing Broberg before they went and signed Arvidson. And no one will take Kane off their hands. BUT, they can pull the old Tampa Bay Kucherov move where Kane misses entire regular season and is magically 100% come playoff time! At least that saves them Broberg.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He’s really not needed on the Blues, it just puts more pressure on the Oilers. But if he can be acquired for a 3rd, it’s a good deal. Cant ever hurt adding assets for cheap.
Ya a 3rd round pick is nothing. This is the best weaponization of cap space ive seen in a while. Especially since Drai isnt even signed so lots of things for Bowman to think about.

Wow! Bad move not signing Broberg before they went and signed Arvidson. And no one will take Kane off their hands. BUT, they can pull the old Tampa Bay Kucherov move where Kane misses entire regular season and is magically 100% come playoff time! At least that saves them Broberg.
I think kane is for sure not coming back.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Also, nice work from absolute elite irreplaceable GM Stan Bowman, whose hire came after no stone was left unturned.
I mean to be fair I would assume both agents here knew that an offer sheet was a strong possibility and didn't need to accept lower... if Bowman had just come out and signed Broberg to 4.6 X 2 everyone would have lost their minds.

It's Bowman's problem to solve but he really has his buddies Ken Holland and Jeff Jackson to thank for putting him in this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad