Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd never sign it though given Edmonton is probably the logical betting favorite to win the cup next season. I'd gladly take half that to stay
He likely wasn't even being offered half of that. Edmonton was probably offering both players under 2M per year on 1 year deals, that's what they could afford. You can't blame Broberg for taking a guaranteed 9M over 1.5-2 M. That's life-changing money.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We can't just add an LTIR contract to make salary disappear. It would need to be one of our healthy contracts for an LTIR contract. So probably not, unless you want to make a deal for Darnell Nurse.
Which is likely to occur in such a deal like Couture for Kulak and a draft pick to keep Broberg.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
People are again too caught up on the AAV aspect of a contract and not focusing on the total contract.

Broberg's total contract is $9.2 million. I'm no Broberg truther, but that's not a terrible bet. The Blues have cap space for the foreseeable future...why do they care if that $9.2 million is over 2 years or 4 years? If Broberg got $2.3 x 4 - the same total contract, people would think it looks like a pretty good deal. It's all the same if you are St. Louis. If Broberg does well, you'll just extend that AAV. If he sucks - the actual benefit of shorter term and higher AAV, is you get the contract off your books quicker.

The only reason the structure matters is because the Blues are trying to put Edmonton in a bind so they can obtain an asset they don't have and make what they feel like is a good bet.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Those mfers. Damn this puts Edmonton in a tough spot. I get why Broberg took it, but that seems low for Holloway to piss off your team.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Which is likely to occur in such a deal like Couture for Kulak and a draft pick to keep Broberg.
Honestly, I'm not sure if keeping Broberg at 4.5M is worth paying any assets for. He hasn't shown to be worth even half of that contract. A guy would need to be really confident that he is going to excel in a 2nd pair role starting this season for 4.5M, and while Broberg has shown the tools to be a top 4 guy, he hasn't shown the consistency or hockey IQ to be that yet. I expect the Oilers will let Broberg walk at that cap hit.

Any good UFA defensemen left that we could sign for 1M? It looks like a roster spot has opened up for Troy Stecher, so we could use a new #7, ha ha ha.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Now the Kane to ltir news yesterday makes more sense. Edmonton likely knew this was coming.

I don’t understand signing an offer sheet unless you’re 100% sure your current team isn’t going to match which in this case the way the deals are structured, Edmonton is almost assuredly going to begrudgingly match.

You’re on a team that’s trying to win the Cup and has veterans leaving money on the table and you go and sign a deal that far exceeds your performance/trendline and maximizes how badly it screws your team over. Great way to ensure everyone in the room hates you. I’m sure it won’t be awkward for them at all.

There are no guarantees to how long your career is. What if Broberg signs a team friendly deal and then gets a bad injury? That could be it for him.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Hope this becomes a trend. But like unspoken rules in baseball offer sheeting rfas is the ultimate PMS trigger for old GMs.

Reactions: Rebels57

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Pretty easy decision, you sign Holloway and you let Broberg walk. 4.5 lmfao.
I dont know if it really is that easy though looking at their current defense and defensive pipeline. Nurse and Ekholm at LHD and no other real high level lhd prospects... ekholm is still playing well but at age 34 they really need someone stepping up soon and Nurse is... nurse.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So much for everyone taking a little less so they can win.
Now we find out if Ceci is indeed a cap dump or if he has value like Oiler fans claim.
Matt Dumba just signed for more than Cody Ceci makes after a year where he was one of the biggest liabilities on the ice every time he was out there. Cody Ceci has value.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Not to mention Kane won't be all that difficult to trade if need be
The guy who has ran himself out of 3 organizations already for antics and attitude? A guy who is currently injured, maybe, who knows given how him and the organization are not even close to the same page. A guy with a full no movement clause. A 33 year old with a 5+M cap hit who has been trending down for 3 years now.

If he was easy to trade, he'd already have been long gone.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Holloway is an easy match and you almost thank St. Louis for that

Broberg, meh. 4.5 is a lot of an older D with limited NHL experience. He was solid in playoffs but hockey iQ has always been the issue, and long term he likely has a Jack Johston type career. Ill take him at 4.5M if need be, but thats still a lot for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad