Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
2nd year is what really f***s the Oilers right?

Yes, they have to sign both Bouchard & Drai by next summer. Drai is UFA in 2025. Bouchard is RFA, but with arbitration rights. Oilers can take him to arbitration, which protects him against an offer sheet.

But, both players should get significant raises.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The Oilers should have tried to make cap room before these offer sheets came out. Trying to dump someone like Ceci now is going to cost more because teams know the Oilers are up against a deadline.

I don't see any way they match Broberg - especially because it's a two-year deal. Next year they'll need to squeeze in Drai and Bouchard. I can't see them also fitting in $4M+ for Broberg.

Planning your moves around a potential offer sheet seems a bit silly given how rare they are.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This has to be connected to someone on Edmonton management team once pissing off someone who works for St Louis I guess

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Well if I was poor and didn’t believe in myself, or if I was playing on a terrible team, I’d take the money all day.

But if I had already made over 5M from my elc and I was finding my way on a team that has a legit shot at winning the Cup, and I knew the chances are pretty good that at 23 I’ve still got some good earning years in front of me, If probably take a cheap 1-2 year deal because chances are good I might never be this close to winning again. I’d rather make a little less overall and maximize my chance of winning.
Getting a raise to leave Edmonton is probably the best reward in itself.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Well if I was poor and didn’t believe in myself, or if I was playing on a terrible team, I’d take the money all day.

But if I had already made over 5M from my elc and I was finding my way on a team that has a legit shot at winning the Cup, and I knew the chances are pretty good that at 23 I’ve still got some good earning years in front of me, If probably take a cheap 1-2 year deal because chances are good I might never be this close to winning again. I’d rather make a little less overall and maximize my chance of winning.
$5M? Broberg has mostly been playing in the AHL for $70k annually in one of the the states with the highest tax rates

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I like Broberg a lot and defended him while he started slow in the AHL but he's not worth that cap hit.

Neither is Holloway. I'd let both walk.
A 2nd & a 3rd for both Broberg & Holloway! Absolute steal by Blues if Oilers let both walk.
The more I think about it, the more I believe the Oilers need to let them both walk as well.

Yes they're both fast, The only value they really brought was they were cheap players who are playing replacement-level, and growing into adequate bottom-roster guys.

Yeah, it sucks we used 1sts to draft and develop them till this point, but with McDavid and Draisaitl on the same team, we need our depth guys to outperform their contracts (likely sub-$2m each).

That Broberg contract is absolutely abysmal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Ok Oilers fans.

Look what you will do. You match both OS because the compensation picks are bad. And Habs will help you out with your cap problems.

Then you trade us Ceci and Holloway for Barron, so you can fit Broberg's salary.

Deal?

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Oiler fans seemed pretty high on Broberg after last years playoffs. Obviously we need a bigger sample size but that loss would hurt. Holloway I’m guessing they just match even if it’s an overpay.
Smart moves by the Blues taking advantage of a team in cap trouble. Hope this becomes part of a trend and we see more offer sheets.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I never understand how these work anyway. Doesn't the player have to sign it or he's basically benched by his current team?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Planning your moves around a potential offer sheet seems a bit silly given how rare they are.
Hopefully that changes. Plenty of teams are putting themselves into difficult situations because of the cap, so their borderline players should be getting offersheeted. It's another way to help keep more teams competitive.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Ok Oilers fans.

Look what you will do. You match both OS because the compensation picks are bad. And Habs will help you out with your cap problems.

Then you trade us Ceci and Holloway for Barron, so you can fit Broberg's salary.

Deal?
Why on earth would the Habs do this deal ? Why would you want Ceci on the roster ? Why do you want Barron out ? If you cannot be patient with Barron how can you be with Holloway ? They were draFted the same year.

Reactions: j c petit

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
A lot of the value to Edmonton with both of these players was how cheap they were expected to be while in their cup window. Holloway likely makes sense as they need his speed up front but Broberg idk. You can probably find a comparable vet with the pick at the deadline.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Who of Holloway or Broberg has made 5 mil? It is under 2 mil closer to 1 since both has spent more time in AHL than NHL. You sign it everyday as a player. We dont even know what Oilers has offered them. Maybe they just got the QO and Oilers said, we need to shed salary.. but it is middle of August, you want a contract by now so you can focus. Worst thing would be October is close, Oilers offer like a 1 mil each if you wanna play because cap wont allow more. Oilers has not shown any loyalty either so, you are stupid if you not sign this OS..

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
2nd year is what really f***s the Oilers right?
Yup.

With Drai & Bouchard needing massive raises next summer, hard to see the Oilers matching either...

Plus that they have no 1st/2nd picks this year...

Well played by the blues. Broberg will be viewed as worth his deal by the end of this year, and Holloway is ready to take a step forward.

Dumping Evander Kane now becomes the priority, but it's going to cost them, not sure they find a fit quickly enough.

Oilers screwed up by not biting the bullet, dumping Ceci, and getting both kids signed to bridge deals earlier this summer.

Might well have put a big dent in their cup contention window if they lose these two important & improving depth pieces while rushing out to pay declining vets like Skinner & Henrique

For the blues, who have 4 rfas next summer, could get sticky for them in both negotiating those extensions (given they just made premium offers to similarly young & unproven players) and possibly having a target on their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad