Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
No, they have to pay him that.
Same for Holloway.
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and contend for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

Coming after rumours of Drai and Mcdavid leaning towards team friendly deals...

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
lol I love that the Blues did this but I am glad the Flames didn't.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Don’t see a world where the Oilers let Holloway go for just a 3rd and see no way they can match the Broberg offer. Seems like a foregone conclusion that they match Holloway and begrudgingly take the 2nd for Broberg.
Just looking from the outside, their roster to me needs a Broberg way more than a Halloway and they’re clearly in win now mode so upside should play less of a role in their decision to immediate need. So, I fully suspect you are correct and they will keep the guy that I think they need less.

Reactions: DaveG

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and content for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

And that's more of a reason why he took the deal.

4.6 mil per on a 2 yr deal is absurd for him, money talks... especially when you're a young player in the league

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
What's the deal on the timing of this? STL grinding to get their 2nd back? The Kane LTIR news (making it more likely EDM can fit them in temporarily)? Or everyone back to work post-Olympics?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and content for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

Damn can't believe a guy thought of his family and himself instead of your happiness as a fan.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
There is no downside to this for the Blues other than Edmonton will be pissed at them. They have the cap space and it's only a 2 year deal.

Besides, if Broberg becomes a top-4 guy, 4.5 mil per year won't be that much in 25/26 given the rising cap.

What's the deal on the timing of this? STL grinding to get their 2nd back? The Kane LTIR news (making it more likely EDM can fit them in temporarily)? Or everyone back to work post-Olympics?
I think getting their original pick back was the lat step. You can't legally tender the offersheet without currently having the picks. STL likely had verbal agreements from the players and then did what they had to do to get their original picks back and immediately submitted the offersheets.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m not sure I fully believe in Broberg but he did seem to play better in the playoffs. It’s of course ridiculous AAV for him but at least it’s only two years…so this isn’t like a Kotkaniemi contract.

I actually think Holloway will be worth $2 million in short order even if his upside is a good third liner. Is Edmonton so cap screwed they can’t match that? Because matching that is a no-brainer IMO.

Either way, what a great popcorn drama to unexpectedly have in boring mid-August…this trolling from the Blues is delightful.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Now the Kane to ltir news yesterday makes more sense. Edmonton likely knew this was coming.

I don’t understand signing an offer sheet unless you’re 100% sure your current team isn’t going to match which in this case the way the deals are structured, Edmonton is almost assuredly going to begrudgingly match.

You’re on a team that’s trying to win the Cup and has veterans leaving money on the table and you go and sign a deal that far exceeds your performance/trendline and maximizes how badly it screws your team over. Great way to ensure everyone in the room hates you. I’m sure it won’t be awkward for them at all.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Must have hard balled holloway for him to sign a 2x2. Thank God for Jeff skinner tho!

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Awesome, don't see enough offer sheets & I like these both for STL.

If Broberg picks up where he left off in the playoffs this could be a steal of a move assuming they get him. I imagine Holloway is more likely for EDM to keep.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah I don't see how Edmonton could possibly match the Broberg one and the compensation is just a 2nd? Yeah it's an overpay but I think that's a good bet for St. Louis who has an old as dirt d-core, Broberg started to look really good towards the end of the season

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Now the Kane to ltir news yesterday makes more sense. Edmonton likely knew this was coming.

I don’t understand signing an offer sheet unless you’re 100% sure your current team isn’t going to match which in this case the way the deals are structured, Edmonton is almost assuredly going to begrudgingly match.

You’re on a team that’s trying to win the Cup and has veterans leaving money on the table and you go and sign a deal that far exceeds your performance/trendline and maximizes how badly it screws your team over. Great way to ensure everyone in the room hates you. I’m sure it won’t be awkward for them at all.
It's $9M guaranteed for Broberg having signed that?

Reactions: Simby

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not to mention Kane won't be all that difficult to trade if need be

200w.gif

I mean, I guess throwing picks at someone isn’t physically hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad