PTO: [STL] James Neal and Michael Frolik sign PTOs with the Blues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For those that are saying that Neal only started playing bad because of getting Covid... he started sucking long before that.
He caught covid in 2021. In the 2019-20 season he scored 14 goals in the first 26 games that he played. In the final 19 games he played that season he only scored 5 goals and that figure only looks as good as it does because in those 19 games he scored 3 goals in one game... so basically he went 18 games only scoring 2 goals.
In the 2021 season, in the 11 games he played before he got covid, he only scored 2 goals.... so he continued his suck from the latter part of the 2019-20 season into the 2021 season.
So he scored at a 20 goal pace even when slumping in the previous year?

I don’t think you have a clue what you’re talking about.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Typical arm chair GM living in his cousins trailer playing NHL 19 on x box lol....you're gonna eat crow when one of these 2 is signed and I am gonna be right there to " illustrate " just how " fun" it really is .

Wow, you seem REALLY invested in this thread. Why do you care about these two non-Blues players so much?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So you skipped past my entire post which broke down each of your points, you didn't bother to refute any of it and THIS was the best you could come up with? Lol ok breh.

I think the funniest part is that you'll consider it a 'win' if either of Neal or Frolik gets a contract even if they're firmly parked in the press box wearing a suit the vast majority of the time.
Disputing known logic with arm chair GMS that lack fundamental grasps of what actually is happening here is waste.....so yes it will be yummy crow for you once aleast one is offered a contract as I said. Yummy

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wow, you seem REALLY invested in this thread. Why do you care about these two non-Blues players so much?
Meh, without getting into how I made a living for a while, it's absolutely a blast to school arm chair GMs....as for Fro I have no ties besides following his career like any other NHL player but as far as the real deal goes I have had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple occasions when he flanked mr malkin in Pittsburgh. Good guy and iam pulling for him.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Meh, without getting into how I made a living for a while, it's absolutely a blast to school arm chair GMs....as for Fro I have no ties besides following his career like any other NHL player but as far as the real deal goes I have had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple occasions when he flanked mr malkin in Pittsburgh. Good guy and iam pulling for him.

spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

I assume that whenever someone says something like this, they're referring to selling drugs.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yes; we had the #6 ranked PP last year.
However; we also lost our #1 PP weapon with Hoffman leaving.

There is a role for Neal on this team; same as there was for Maroon a few years ago. But only if the legs are there. He's going to have to beat out at least 1 of Sanford, Clifford, MacMac and Kostin to make the team. Not impossible, but not a given either. And personally; I think the coaching staff is frustrated enough with Sanford that any signs of life from somebody else would push him off the team.

As much as I appreciate Hoffman's contributions I don't think losing him is going to significantly affect the PP. The Blues forward group isn't built in a way that one guy can affect it that much.

We have multiple players that can fill that role you described who are already under contract and now Thomas has been signed to a 2.8 mil cap hit further decreasing space to add either of Neal or Frolik. As you said, if Neal doesn't have the legs anymore it's a moot point and if he does he's going to have to beat out younger guys who absolutely do still have the legs.

A 6th ranked PP doesn't need help to the same degree a 25th ranked PK does so given the two players respective strengths I would think Frolik would have a better shot at filling the role DLR did than Neal would in a Maroon type role.

As far as Sanford goes, meh, he's a 1 year placefiller till Neighbours gets here.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So he scored at a 20 goal pace even when slumping in the previous year?

I don’t think you have a clue what you’re talking about.
Oooooo.... 20 goals for a guy costing $6.5M...
And then in 2021 he was scoring at a 15 goal pace before getting covid

Bring out the marching band!!

If anyone here doesn't have a clue its you. If Neal isn't scoring he's a total liability out on the ice... and getting worse every year as he gets older. He costs more goals than he scores. I wouldn't have him on my team even if he said he'd play for free.

Reactions: Nightrain

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oooooo.... 20 goals for a guy costing $6.5M...
And then in 2021 he was scoring at a 15 goal pace before getting covid

Bring out the marching band!!

If anyone here doesn't have a clue its you. If Neal isn't scoring he's a total liability out on the ice... and getting worse every year as he gets older. He costs more goals than he scores. I wouldn't have him on my team even if he said he'd play for free.
" he started sucking long before that."

First time ive heard that being on pace to score 20 goals even when slumping is someone who is sucking.

Being overpaid and sucking are two different things.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
As much as I appreciate Hoffman's contributions I don't think losing him is going to significantly affect the PP. The Blues forward group isn't built in a way that one guy can affect it that much.

We have multiple players that can fill that role you described who are already under contract and now Thomas has been signed to a 2.8 mil cap hit further decreasing space to add either of Neal or Frolik. As you said, if Neal doesn't have the legs anymore it's a moot point and if he does he's going to have to beat out younger guys who absolutely do still have the legs.

A 6th ranked PP doesn't need help to the same degree a 25th ranked PK does so given the two players respective strengths I would think Frolik would have a better shot at filling the role DLR did than Neal would in a Maroon type role.

As far as Sanford goes, meh, he's a 1 year placefiller till Neighbours gets here.

Hoffman will be replaced by Tarasenko coming back to form. We lost Hoffman and Schwartz, but gained Buchnevich, Saad, and a hopefully healthy Tarasenko.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

First time ive heard that being on pace to score 20 goals even when slumping is someone who is sucking.

Having the ability to put a few pucks in the net doesn't mean you don't suck. 5v5 Neal is a disaster out there.... and he's been like that for a while.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This isn't hard. Neal with a decent camp pushes any of the any of the 4th line guys with the exception of bozak. This is especially true if the PP looks like it needs a different look. Neal would come cheaper than some perhaps the absolute minimum.
I'll leave you with obvious, you would think a team that is soooooo deep up front would of had a better showing last season then

The only way Neal or Frolik play on this team is because of injuries. They will not push anyone out of the lineup.

For those that are saying that Neal only started playing bad because of getting Covid... he started sucking long before that.
He caught covid in 2021. In the 2019-20 season he scored 14 goals in the first 26 games that he played. In the final 19 games he played that season he only scored 5 goals and that figure only looks as good as it does because in those 19 games he scored 3 goals in one game... so basically he went 18 games only scoring 2 goals.
In the 2021 season, in the 11 games he played before he got covid, he only scored 2 goals.... so he continued his suck from the latter part of the 2019-20 season into the 2021 season.

So you're saying that Neal scored a near 35 goal pace during the 19-20 season and then you call that bad because he goal scoring was streaky? So you're saying goal scorers are streaky? In other news water is wet.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The only way Neal or Frolik play on this team is because of injuries. They will not push anyone out of the lineup.

So you're saying that Neal scored a near 35 goal pace during the 19-20 season and then you call that bad because he goal scoring was streaky? So you're saying goal scorers are streaky? In other news water is wet.
One of the two make the team and is offered a contract. Most likey a minimum deal but that seals my point.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
One of the two make the team and is offered a contract. Most likey a minimum deal but that seals my point.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of them, maybe even both get a contract. In our current situation neither of them should be penciled in with our top 12 forwards, however injuries will occur (we had a LOT of them last season) while Sundqvist is already going to miss the start of the season. I think we should view both of them as insurance if one or 2 more forwards get injured during pre-season or a trade happens (Tarasenko?). If our roster stays healthy (big IF), normally I'd only expect them to battle for a 13th/14th forward spot. And otherwise we could send them to Spingfield untill needed as they don't exactly have the best forward group in the AHL.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Sorry Neal was terrible for the Flames way before that. He got lucky on the PP with mcdavid but went back to his own self

Neal is lazy, can’t skate and have bad attitude.

that’s why he is on PTO. The Oilers didn’t buy him out because he is functional. They desperately need secondary scoring and he was providing none

Reactions: Nanuuk

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wouldn't be surprised if one of them, maybe even both get a contract. In our current situation neither of them should be penciled in with our top 12 forwards, however injuries will occur (we had a LOT of them last season) while Sundqvist is already going to miss the start of the season. I think we should view both of them as insurance if one or 2 more forwards get injured during pre-season or a trade happens (Tarasenko?). If our roster stays healthy (big IF), normally I'd only expect them to battle for a 13th/14th forward spot. And otherwise we could send them to Spingfield untill needed as they don't exactly have the best forward group in the AHL.
I dont disagree entirely but both will be competing for roster spot. I expect Neal will see some playing time.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Okay. You completely ignored my question.
As you did mine !!!! Are roster spots handed out before camp? Is every spot spoken for in July? Read between the lines and your answer lies there....obviously neither are a threat to crack top 6 so what does that leave?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad