PTO: [STL] James Neal and Michael Frolik sign PTOs with the Blues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
the PTO's I don't worry about too much, especially in this case as both these guys appear to just be 'camp' guys

and Im guessing Thomas doesn't like the 'bridge' deal he's being offered, but dude hasn't been able to put together a healthy season since his rookie debut
but if Sanford is getting 2m, then Thomas is worth 3. just my opinion

I couldn't agree more .

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I wouldn't look too much into it yet, quite a few good RFA's haven't been signed yet and we still have some time before the season starts. Barbashev also signed quite late last season for example. The only fact we know now is that Thomas is in town skating with a big chunk of the Blues roster.
would have to think Army will get something done... always does

and good point about Barby

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
No idea what happened to Frolik. Turned from Swiss Army knife middle 6er to healthy scratch fodder seemingly overnight.

Neal is beyond done at an NHL level.
To be honest, in the limited number of games he played last year for the Habs, the one impression he always gave is that he was completely lost and seemed out of place on the ice. Personally, I think he’s a Europeen league calider player that this point - but could MAYBE fit with the right team as a 12-13th forward. On the Habs he wouldn’t even be a bench player.
To be fair, Habs got a few of those “swiss army knife” players and all are undeniably superior to him. So the fit wasn’t there either.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
with Neal on the Oilers he started strong but then went in this kind of holding pattern. He had his role on the PP, which went away when Chiasson worked out better there, but in general there were issues in the bottom six that seemed to hamper anyone. The phrase "rising tide lifts all boats" seemed to apply a lot to him. He seemed close to being a great skilled veteran in the depth but could just never find the right teammates or chemistry or whatever was wrong, and then this year he had his covid recovery and so it always seemed like an effective Neal was just out of reach.

It really feels like the buyout was a good idea because maybe it hasn't been happening because he just doesn't have it anymore, and the theme this year was to flush out the bottom six, almost entirely. But as a PTO I'd be curious to see how Neal does with this different mix of teammates.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Always rooted for James Neal. He was one of the leaders on the Plymouth Whalers 2006-07 OHL Championship team. I hope this works out for him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Frolik had such a strange career to me. Started off strong with a 45pt rookie campaign at just 20 years old, but followed that up by staying in the 35-45pt range for essentially his entire career.

Rarely do you see a player stay the same, without any career years or major drop offs, for like 12 straight years.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Are 5 guys getting hurt in preseason? Anything is possible I guess
Or will the need for a veteran net front presence who still has some hands push one of the cookie cutter forwards out?? I guess anything is possible.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Or will the need for a veteran net front presence who still has some hands push one of the cookie cutter forwards out?? I guess anything is possible.

Who are they beating out?

Buchnevich -RoR-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Barbie-Tarasenko
Sanford/MacMac-Sunny/Bozak -Kostin

good luck with that

Reactions: TK 421

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Who are they beating out?

Buchnevich -RoR-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Barbie-Tarasenko
Sanford/MacMac-Sunny/Bozak -Kostin

good luck with that
This isn't hard. Neal with a decent camp pushes any of the any of the 4th line guys with the exception of bozak. This is especially true if the PP looks like it needs a different look. Neal would come cheaper than some perhaps the absolute minimum.
I'll leave you with obvious, you would think a team that is soooooo deep up front would of had a better showing last season then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad