PTO: [STL] James Neal and Michael Frolik sign PTOs with the Blues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
This isn't hard. Neal with a decent camp pushes any of the any of the 4th line guys with the exception of bozak. This is especially true if the PP looks like it needs a different look. Neal would come cheaper than some perhaps the absolute minimum.
I'll leave you with obvious, you would think a team that is soooooo deep up front would of had a better showing last season then

Not sure what you have against the Blues, but clearly you don't follow them very closely. We were among the league leaders in man games missed due to injury, including some of our most important players, which probably had something to do with our performance last year. I also doubt that Neal would take a roster spot from either Sanford or Sundqvist, but it's possible you just don't know much about the Blues' players.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Not sure what you have against the Blues, but clearly you don't follow them very closely. We were among the league leaders in man games missed due to injury, including some of our most important players, which probably had something to do with our performance last year. I also doubt that Neal would take a roster spot from either Sanford or Sundqvist, but it's possible you just don't know much about the Blues' players.
More likey its possible the blues signed these guys for a reason. Not just to fill a spot but realistically challenge for a roster position. Especially Neal who can add some veteran experience and good on the PP. Its nothing against the blues its just too many cookie cutter forwards gives a very predictable look. Its cheap insurance for a long season and all it takes is one other forward to have a bad camp. Also I thought the great depth you spoke of was suppose to overcome injuries, isnt that the purpose of depth ??? Obviously blues management thought it was worth a shot , low risk better reward.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Who are they beating out?

Buchnevich -RoR-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Barbie-Tarasenko
Sanford/MacMac-Sunny/Bozak -Kostin

good luck with that

Not just this, but without a Tank trade happening before the season starts(which I'm not counting on anymore), I'm having a hard time seeing how they fit Neal in under the cap, even at league minimum.

I'm not even sure how they get Thomas under the cap. Surely he's a bigger priority than Neal. Am I missing somebody hitting LTIR?

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Not just this, but without a Tank trade happening before the season starts(which I'm not counting on anymore), I'm having a hard time seeing how they fit Neal in under the cap, even at league minimum.

I'm not even sure how they get Thomas under the cap. Surely he's a bigger priority than Neal. Am I missing somebody hitting LTIR?

Sundqvist(2.75 mil) will at least start the year on LTIR.

Also note that McEachern makes 900K.
If Neal signs at 750K, that would actually save us a couple thousand.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
This isn't hard. Neal with a decent camp pushes any of the any of the 4th line guys with the exception of bozak. This is especially true if the PP looks like it needs a different look. Neal would come cheaper than some perhaps the absolute minimum.
I'll leave you with obvious, you would think a team that is soooooo deep up front would of had a better showing last season then

I see what's going on now. You just don't know what the f*** you're talking about which makes sense.

Reactions: BlueOil

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

As Kimzey mentioned, Sundqvist will start the season on LTIR. And even if Sundqvist returns from LTIR and a trade or new long term injury hasn't happened by then we shouldn't have any issues: Lets say Thomas signs a bridge deal at around 2.5 million aav, we can waive a guy like Clifford and just run a 22-man roster. It's not ideal, but it's doable.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
So weird seeing all these NHL regulars from years back slug it out with PTOs lately

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
James Neal. I'm glad he's getting another shot. I feel for the guy, it wasn't his fault that he got COVID last year and wasn't ready for the season to start. He was slow the year prior, but he could keep up, COVID (or Father Time) really did a number on him in between the past two seasons. I hope he rebounds to what he was two years ago. He's still not the guy he was in his prime, but at least he would still get an NHL payday.

Reactions: jetsforever

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If Neal gets cut there's only one place to lay blame. His stick manufacturer.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I see what's going on now. You just don't know what the f*** you're talking about which makes sense.
Hmmm yeah....arm chair GMs get proven wrong all the time, won't be long till your next....easy prediction one of the 2 is offered a one year minimum contract.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007

James Neal isn't pushing any of Barbashev, Bozak or Sundqvist out of the lineup and that's the Blues 4th line. All three have defined roles on this team.

Blues had the 6th ranked PP last year, pretty sure they don't need Neal to give them a "different look". If you had criticized their 25th ranked PK that would have at least made sense.

Blues and Blackhawks had by far the most injuries in the league last year, that played a huge role in why the Blues stunk.

Doug Armstrong brings in higher profile PTOs every year, sometimes they get a league min contract and sometimes they don't. In this case the Blues have 13 forwards ahead of them with Thomas still to be signed and they're right up against the cap. Even league min contracts would be tough to swing and that's with Sundqvist on IR to start the year.

In the future you should probably stick to spouting off about something you actually do know about. But hey...thanks for giving me an opportunity to illustrate just how clueless you are. It's been fun.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
13th/ 14th forwards as offensive (Neal) and defensive (Frolik) respectively?
That or they can go to Buffalo or Arizona and maybe still have a roster spot.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Sundqvist(2.75 mil) will at least start the year on LTIR.

Also note that McEachern makes 900K.
If Neal signs at 750K, that would actually save us a couple thousand.

Ah, OK. Didn't realize Sundqvist was gonna miss the start of the year.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I hope they both perform well in camp and get the 13th and 14th roster spots for Opening Night, with MacEachern and Clifford being waived.

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Buchnevich-Schenn-Kyrou
Saad-Thomas-Bozak
Sanford-Barbashev-Kostin
Neal, Frolík

Sanford will likely get dealt when Sundqvist returns.

Reactions: jetsforever

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I hope they both perform well in camp and get the 13th and 14th roster spots for Opening Night, with MacEachern and Clifford being waived.

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Buchnevich-Schenn-Kyrou
Saad-Thomas-Bozak
Sanford-Barbashev-Kostin
Neal, Frolik

Sanford will likely get dealt when Sundqvist returns.

If Neal anywhere close to half as good as Hoffman was last year, I will be very happy with this signing.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
If Neal anywhere close to half as good as Hoffman was last year, I will be very happy with this signing.

Agreed. I think they both could carve out a role on this team, especially when the annual injuries hit. Net front presence has been an issue, and Neal can provide that and his still solid shot. Frolík can also be used in the Mac/DLR role where he just comes in to be a 4th line and PK fill in.

I am also of the belief that both Clifford and Mac would clear waivers, therefore just adding more forward depth in case it gets as bad as last year.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For those that are saying that Neal only started playing bad because of getting Covid... he started sucking long before that.
He caught covid in 2021. In the 2019-20 season he scored 14 goals in the first 26 games that he played. In the final 19 games he played that season he only scored 5 goals and that figure only looks as good as it does because in those 19 games he scored 3 goals in one game... so basically he went 18 games only scoring 2 goals.
In the 2021 season, in the 11 games he played before he got covid, he only scored 2 goals.... so he continued his suck from the latter part of the 2019-20 season into the 2021 season.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
James Neal isn't pushing any of Barbashev, Bozak or Sundqvist out of the lineup and that's the Blues 4th line. All three have defined roles on this team.

Blues had the 6th ranked PP last year, pretty sure they don't need Neal to give them a "different look". If you had criticized their 25th ranked PK that would have at least made sense.

Blues and Blackhawks had by far the most injuries in the league last year, that played a huge role in why the Blues stunk.

Doug Armstrong brings in higher profile PTOs every year, sometimes they get a league min contract and sometimes they don't. In this case the Blues have 13 forwards ahead of them with Thomas still to be signed and they're right up against the cap. Even league min contracts would be tough to swing and that's with Sundqvist on IR to start the year.

In the future you should probably stick to spouting off about something you actually do know about. But hey...thanks for giving me an opportunity to illustrate just how clueless you are. It's been fun.
Typical arm chair GM living in his cousins trailer playing NHL 19 on x box lol....you're gonna eat crow when one of these 2 is signed and I am gonna be right there to " illustrate " just how " fun" it really is .

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Typical arm chair GM living in his cousins trailer playing NHL 19 on x box lol....you're gonna eat crow when one of these 2 is signed and I am gonna be right there to " illustrate " just how " fun" it really is .

So you skipped past my entire post which broke down each of your points, you didn't bother to refute any of it and THIS was the best you could come up with? Lol ok breh.

I think the funniest part is that you'll consider it a 'win' if either of Neal or Frolik gets a contract even if they're firmly parked in the press box wearing a suit the vast majority of the time.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
neal and frolik are just there to skate around with the boys and keep the language fresh

nice of army to let them strut with a decent squad

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Yes; we had the #6 ranked PP last year.
However; we also lost our #1 PP weapon with Hoffman leaving.

There is a role for Neal on this team; same as there was for Maroon a few years ago. But only if the legs are there. He's going to have to beat out at least 1 of Sanford, Clifford, MacMac and Kostin to make the team. Not impossible, but not a given either. And personally; I think the coaching staff is frustrated enough with Sanford that any signs of life from somebody else would push him off the team.

Reactions: barriers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad