Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The lack of any official statement from the Oilers organization two days into this is hilarious. They really got caught with their pants down.
Why would they make a statement on it until they have resolved it, regardless of how they do it? It wouldn't make sense to talk about it publicly until the process has finished, or else they might tip their hand on what they are doing.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Easily? These guys aren't game changers...

Last year the Blues had 23 skaters(15F/8D) play in 20 games or more.

From that group at forward, they are returning Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Neighbours, Saad, Schenn, Bolduc, Torophenko, Kapanen, Sundqvist, and Walker.

They would be replacing Hayes, Blais, Vrana, and Alexandrov(all awful) with Texier, M. Joseph, Holloway, and Faksa.

There’s also the chance Dvorsky forces the issue, which would mean Walker becomes our 16th F. While none of them are world beaters, that group is much, much better at 2-way play, drastically faster, and will put up more points.

Returning on defense from that group will be Parayko, a healthy Faulk, Leddy, Kessel, and Perunovich.

Scandella, Krug(LTIR), and Tucker(minors) would be replaced by Broberg, Suter, and P.O. Joseph.

Once again…not world beaters, but still a better, and more cohesive group defensively.

Our main issue last year was that the team defense as a whole sucked, and the depth up front was not great at all. We barely missed the playoffs. The team now is a much better group if these moves go through.

They may not be more than a WC team, but nobody should be shocked at all if they make it back to the playoffs.

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
What part of this are you not getting? STL is not strapped for cap space. They have zero intention of "competing" in the next year or two. They have the opportunity to take a gamble on two young players and hope they turn into contributors for the future.

There is no downside for STL other than the draft capital they'll forfeit.
On top of that paying a 2nd and a 3rd for 8th and 18th overall.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
What a masterclass by Brobergs agent. Parlayed ~6 good games (which if you look into the analytics weren’t all that great) into 9M guaranteed.

Was hoping the Oilers could get Broberg ~1.5 for the third pair and I think that’s fair value, so in the realm of a 3X overpay. STL doesn’t care as they just won’t qualify him in 2 years.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We are literally talking about fringe players that could barely crack the oilers lineup. I know it goes against ur oilers suck schtick but these are bottom rung players, and that broberg deal will end up looking worse than kotkaniemi deal and ensure st lous remains a bottom feeder for years to come
It’s a 2 year contract lmao

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
What a masterclass by Brobergs agent. Parlayed ~6 good games (which if you look into the analytics weren’t all that great) into 9M guaranteed.

Was hoping the Oilers could get Broberg ~1.5 for the third pair and I think that’s fair value, so in the realm of a 3X overpay. STL doesn’t care as they just won’t qualify him in 2 years.
We plan on making him our 2lhd right now. Then hooefully half way through the season he becomes paraykos new jaybo. Its that easy.

You just keep the copium flowing.
They will be given a solid xhance one not given by oilers and solid 15 20 mins a night. Something oilers were not able to do.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
You can't even answer the question? There's a big difference between a guy like Skinner taking less money than a young guy who hasn't earned tens of millions in his career already.
Again, my reply was to "no one takes a pay cut to play in Edmonton". It was to "no young player takes a pay cut to play in Edmonton". Broberg & Holloway can't take a pay cut anymore to stay in Edmonton, not sure if you're aware.

Work on your reading comprehension, then reply. Thanks.

Guys who made their money already
Cool. That's not what I was replying to.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Again, my reply was to "no one takes a pay cut to play in Edmonton". It was to "no young player takes a pay cut to play in Edmonton". Broberg & Holloway can't take a pay cut anymore to stay in Edmonton, not sure if you're aware.

Work on your reading comprehension, then reply. Thanks.

Cool. That's not what I was replying to.
Awesome

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Foegele and Mcleod were 2 of the least trusted players during the last 3 playoff runs. When it was time to close out the game and the bench was shortened those two were always on the bench. The Nurse-Broberg combo got dominated in every statistical category but GF/GA which was more due to luck over anything else. This is coming from someone that likes all 3 players but Foegele isn't worth 3.5 to the Oilers and no one would turn down a Savoie for Mcleod trade. What could sting in the future is if Broberg can reach his potential.
I hate to break this to you but a Nurse - Anyone pairing is going to get dominated all the time forever.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
To be fair, veteran teams typically do better in the playoffs than younger ones. It makes the Oilers a better team in the short term.

But they'll need some younger players to fill holes in the lineup eventually, especially given the new salaries they'll be paying their top players.
This is objectively not true. Go look at past cup champions rosters. They almost always have significant contributions from younger players, especially in the bottom 6.

I can’t remember a recent cup champ that would be near as old as the Oilers are, especially if they lose Broberg and Holloway.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This is objectively not true. Go look at past cup champions rosters. They almost always have significant contributions from younger players, especially in the bottom 6.

I can’t remember a recent cup champ that would be near as old as the Oilers are, especially if they lose Broberg and Holloway.
If you want youth, we got Matt Savoie, Beau Akey, Sam O'Reilly

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hate to break this to you but a Nurse - Anyone pairing is going to get dominated all the time forever.
Even though you're right, Broberg's numbers were much worse when paired with Ceci and Kulak. You can't really expect a rookie Dman playing his off side to dominate. At least with STL he'll be on his natural side and have a solid partner on RD.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Foegele and Mcleod were 2 of the least trusted players during the last 3 playoff runs. When it was time to close out the game and the bench was shortened those two were always on the bench. The Nurse-Broberg combo got dominated in every statistical category but GF/GA which was more due to luck over anything else. This is coming from someone that likes all 3 players but Foegele isn't worth 3.5 to the Oilers and no one would turn down a Savoie for Mcleod trade. What could sting in the future is if Broberg can reach his potential.
Sounds like you're doing some revisionist history. And the truth isn't what you say it is.

Foegele was a part of your most recent PK unit that was so nails during the playoffs. Incredible forechecker with good size/speed. He was getting 12 minutes a game in the playoffs so hardly a scrub the coaches didn't trust. He put up 8 points with no PP run.

McLeod was probably Edmonton's 2nd best forward vs the Avs in the WCFs a few years ago. He was fantastic in that series. Flying all over the ice. He played over 13 minutes a game in the 2024 playoffs. Scored 4 goals. 13 minutes is a lot of ice time for a guy they didn't trust.

Holloway played 11:30 a game. Shot a hard to duplicate 17.5% in the playoffs.

Now you'll play Perry more. He averaged 10 minutes a night. He'll be 40 next playoffs. Henrique will be 35. He averaged 14 minutes a game. He'll need to play more.

Brown was at 11 minutes a game. He'll need to play more too.

Janmark was at 12 minutes a game. He'll need to play more too. Both these guys are in their 30s.
It basically looks like Edmonton rolled their lines well and bottom six all played about the same minutes on the same effective PK. You kept the older guys that played 100+ games last year.\

Savoie > McLeod in 3 years? Sure. I agree. McLeod > Savoie in 2024-2025. The last year before Drai and Bouchard blow your salary structure to bits if Drai even resigns.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
To be fair, veteran teams typically do better in the playoffs than younger ones. It makes the Oilers a better team in the short term.

But they'll need some younger players to fill holes in the lineup eventually, especially given the new salaries they'll be paying their top players.

Average age of cup winners is 26 with about 5 seasons under their belts. Veteran teams do not do better in the playoffs

IMG_5893.jpeg

If they underperform, it's better draft picks for the Oilers you mean
A 2nd and a 3rd will always be a 2nd and a 3rd. It’s the 1st round that matters

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
We are literally talking about fringe players that could barely crack the oilers lineup. I know it goes against ur oilers suck schtick but these are bottom rung players, and that broberg deal will end up looking worse than kotkaniemi deal and ensure st lous remains a bottom feeder for years to come
Can’t tell if this guy is doing a bit or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad