Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
We are literally talking about fringe players that could barely crack the oilers lineup. I know it goes against ur oilers suck schtick but these are bottom rung players, and that broberg deal will end up looking worse than kotkaniemi deal and ensure st lous remains a bottom feeder for years to come
For 2 years. Lol no risk involved for 2 former first rounders. Including 8th overall. Just bad cap management bro, it is what it is no need to spin it any other way. Players bust and hit all the time. Only time will tell.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
For 2 years. Lol no risk involved for 2 former first rounders. Including 8th overall. Just bad cap management bro, it is what it is no need to spin it any other way. Players bust and hit all the time. Only time will tell.
Cap management? who worries about bottom tier players that couldnt even crack the lineup for most of the year. The oilers are a dominant superteam and focused on players that will help them win the cup, neither of these two scrubs is that. Broberg might one day grow to that but its not a gamble I would take for 4.5M

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Cap management? who worries about bottom tier players that couldnt even crack the lineup for most of the year. The oilers are a dominant superteam and focused on players that will help them win the cup, neither of these two scrubs is that. Broberg might one day grow to that but its not a gamble I would take for 4.5M

What part of this are you not getting? STL is not strapped for cap space. They have zero intention of "competing" in the next year or two. They have the opportunity to take a gamble on two young players and hope they turn into contributors for the future.

There is no downside for STL other than the draft capital they'll forfeit.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We are literally talking about fringe players that could barely crack the oilers lineup. I know it goes against ur oilers suck schtick but these are bottom rung players, and that broberg deal will end up looking worse than kotkaniemi deal and ensure st lous remains a bottom feeder for years to come
You guys are going to miss the size, speed and length of Forgele, Broberg and McLeod in the playoffs far more than you realize.

Skinner in the playoffs… Forechecking with tenacity? Hahaha.

Aravsson with his bad back missing the playoffs altogether.

The Oliers are the leagues oldest team coming off another long and ultimately disappointing season with short off-season. All the way back at square one with every one else. Long long way to go before you’re back there again and many hurdles in the way.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The oilers are by far the best team in the league, teams of that calibre do not pay unproven players huge contracts.

Let them both rot in St louis and watch the oilers lift the cup next year, i cant think of a worse fate.

Isn't it pretty early in the day to be this drunk? "By far" the best team in the league? Lol

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
nerevarine said:
‘The oilers are by far the best team in the league, teams of that calibre do not pay unproven players huge contracts.

Let them both rot in St louis and watch edmonton lift the cup next year, i cant think of a worse fate.’

If they were by far the best team in the league they would be Cup champs easily. They had a great year but sports is a fine line. SCF teams often don’t get back to the finals the next year. A lot of things went well for the Oilers. No guarantee that they do as well next year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
nerevarine said:
‘The oilers are by far the best team in the league, teams of that calibre do not pay unproven players huge contracts.

Let them both rot in St louis and watch edmonton lift the cup next year, i cant think of a worse fate.’

If they were by far the best team in the league they would be Cup champs easily. They had a great year but sports is a fine line. SCF teams often don’t get back to the finals the next year. A lot of things went well for the Oilers. No guarantee that they do as well next year.
A lot of things went well like McDavid and Drai playing injured?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
DISCLAIMER: I've been to Edmonton like ten times and I like it a lot. I've even been there in early January when tears freeze shut my eyelids and cars are encrusted in dirty ice. I really like the City of Edmonton and have shared a few times at HFOilers the places that I frequent when I'm there. It's a good city, but I know people there. I have ties there and know where to go. I watched Rogers Place go from two massive pits to a beautiful building.

So, you ask, Why? Cup window closed, extremely poor roster and cap management, not a good pipeline and it will become worse without reacquiring the draft capital that you need to sustain at a lower cost. Edmonton has had to overpay too many players and now look what has happened.

Other than that I think the effect of the weather up there is exaggerated cuz most players don't live in Edmonton during the offseason, and even if they did, summers there are great. In-season, they'll be jet setting around NA with loads of money half the time. Weather excuse is overplayed.

Taxes thing? idk maybe

Winning a Cup? MosDef!! But happening in Edmonton, with the utmost respect, nope for the reasons outlined above.

This is just me stepping into Draisatl's shoes imagining what it would be like to be in this situation for another 8 years. If I was him, I would be thinking, That was our shot together. I will become an UFA. I already have enough money for the rest of my life. We just hired an asshole of a GM who will definitely make some players not want to play here, thus diminishing our compete level. We don't have enough draft capital to sustain ourselves AND two young drafted, cost-controlled players about to leave cuz we ain't matchin'. And if we do match, the gymanstics that has to occur to make that happen sounds disruptive. Ceci and Kulak were two of our better D during the playoffs, but one of them will have to go to match. This is not a good situaiton for me.

Respectfully, I don't see it y'all.

Peace out and I'll be sure to hit Padmanadi soon.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The lack of any official statement from the Oilers organization two days into this is hilarious. They really got caught with their pants down.
Yep. I think overall GM’s got complacent with offer sheets. But the Oilers really painted a target on themselves by being cash strapped with two young RFA’s unsigned and then hiring Bowman. The double offer sheet by St. Louis was really creative. Kudos to Armstrong for orchestrating this.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Bro “a dominant super team”? Make sure you let that crack pipe cool off in between hits.

They were a great team last year but so far an SCF loss is their high water mark.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wow. I was just looking at the Oilers roster and they have 10 forwards and 5 dmen that are 30+ years of age and the season hasn't even started yet.

Hyman 32
RNH 31
Kane 33
Arvidson 31
Skinner 32
Henrique 34
Janmark 31
Perry 39
C Brown 30
Ryan 37

Ekholm 34
Ceci 30
Kulak 30
J Brown 30
Stecher 30

Right now the Oilers average age is almost 31. Thats old!!!

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We'd be better, but it has more to do with all our other moves and how bad our bottom 6 was last season.

Holloway instead of someone like Blais, Texier knocking Kapanen down, Joseph instead of Hayes, Faksa as a better 4th line C, etc.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wow. I was just looking at the Oilers roster and they have 10 forwards and 5 dmen that are 30+ years of age and the season hasn't even started yet.

Hyman 32
RNH 31
Kane 33
Arvidson 31
Skinner 32
Henrique 34
Janmark 31
Perry 39
C Brown 30
Ryan 37

Ekholm 34
Ceci 30
Kulak 30
J Brown 30
Stecher 30

Eckholm is the guy I’d worry most about. He’s the one who holds that D together. If he takes a step back at age 34 then that’s a pretty bad defensive group. And there’s no one in the pipeline to replace him.
Realistically the best chance at a Cup is the next two years as Hyman and RNH also will be older.

Reactions: 1989

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023

Hyman 32
RNH 31
Kane 33
Arvidson 31
Skinner 32
Henrique 34
Janmark 31
Perry 39
C Brown 30
Ryan 37

Ekholm 34
Ceci 30
Kulak 30
J Brown 30
Stecher 30

Those ages above are what makes the situation harsh for the Oilers.

Broberg and Holloway are both homegrown former first rounders, 22 & 23. One can try to call them depth and dismiss their on-ice impact, but when considering of cap structure and timing, this move is one hell of a torpedo.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Hyman 32
RNH 31
Kane 33
Arvidson 31
Skinner 32
Henrique 34
Janmark 31
Perry 39
C Brown 30
Ryan 37

Ekholm 34
Ceci 30
Kulak 30
J Brown 30
Stecher 30
To be fair, veteran teams typically do better in the playoffs than younger ones. It makes the Oilers a better team in the short term.

But they'll need some younger players to fill holes in the lineup eventually, especially given the new salaries they'll be paying their top players.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
A lot of things went well like McDavid and Drai playing injured?

Lots of teams are injured in the playoffs, it's practically a given; how many times have we seen a team win the Cup and then their star players go get surgery? It's just part of the deal, at the end of the day you run what you brung.

I guarantee opponents weren't healthy either, hell they had to go 7 games against a team on their 3rd string goalie and who didn't have their best goal scorer for game 7, are they gonna be that fortunate to face an opponent in that situation next year? And despite a stirring comeback, let's not forget they were down 0-3 in the Finals. The only relatively decisive no-drama series they had was against the Kings.

That doesn't happen if they're the best team "by far". They're certainly one of the favorites, maybe even the favorite, but the NHL playoffs are a beast ... the margins are small, and the best team often does not win for any number of reasons.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Lots of teams are injured in the playoffs, it's practically a given; how many times have we seen a team win the Cup and then their star players go get surgery? It's just part of the deal, at the end of the day you run what you brung.

I guarantee opponents weren't healthy either, hell they had to go 7 games against a team on their 3rd string goalie and who didn't have their best goal scorer for game 7, are they gonna be that fortunate to face an opponent in that situation next year? And despite a stirring comeback, let's not forget they were down 0-3 in the Finals. The only relatively decisive no-drama series they had was against the Kings.

That doesn't happen if they're the best team "by far". They're certainly one of the favorites, maybe even the favorite, but the NHL playoffs are a beast ... the margins are small, and the best team often does not win for any number of reasons.
Were Barkov and Tkachuk injured? If not, then it's not quite the same.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You guys are going to miss the size, speed and length of Forgele, Broberg and McLeod in the playoffs far more than you realize.

Skinner in the playoffs… Forechecking with tenacity? Hahaha.

Aravsson with his bad back missing the playoffs altogether.

The Oliers are the leagues oldest team coming off another long and ultimately disappointing season with short off-season. All the way back at shows one. Long long way to go before you’re back there again and many hurdles in the way.
Foegele and Mcleod were 2 of the least trusted players during the last 3 playoff runs. When it was time to close out the game and the bench was shortened those two were always on the bench. The Nurse-Broberg combo got dominated in every statistical category but GF/GA which was more due to luck over anything else. This is coming from someone that likes all 3 players but Foegele isn't worth 3.5 to the Oilers and no one would turn down a Savoie for Mcleod trade. What could sting in the future is if Broberg can reach his potential.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Were Barkov and Tkachuk injured? If not, then it's not quite the same.

I read afterward that Tkachuk was playing with injuries. What specifically I don't know.

And it's not just star players hurt that matter. Sometimes you just get injuries to guys who aren't necessarily stars, but who play important roles which you don't have a replacement for. At the end of the day, it just is what it is, you can't just magically say "if the Oilers' stars were healthy" while assuming everyone else's injuries didn't matter as much, none of us know.

And there's no law of averages that says if they were hurt this year they're more likely to be healthy next. All any team can do is build a good team over several years, and hope at least one year it all goes their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad