Proposal: STL-EDM (including Draisaitl)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I remember Quebec drafting Sundin, Lindros and Nolan in 1990 to 1992.

In 1995, Colorado's 1st year, they won the cup... and those 3 players were not part of that team.

Quebec traded some real stars to get a more complete and balanced team.

Oilers should learn from this.

You get a bonafied goalie, a star defenseman a depth forward or prospect and a pick, I do that trade for Leon.

Yeah losing him hurts, but it will benefit in the long run.

Reactions: YP44 and Reparlana

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
This isn't bad value at all for the Oilers.

But I don't see a circumstance where the Oilers get rid of one of their 2 top 5 players in the league in order to win.

We need better management.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Have you looked at team needs at all?

With the addition of Kane, the biggest need is a goaltender. Based on this season, Binnington is a marginal improvement over Koskinen at best. You're not even close.

Lol, so you think Kane is going to show up and save the team? I said it was fair, but the Oilers need a stronger defense as well.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Lol, so you think Kane is going to show up and save the team? I said it was fair, but the Oilers need a stronger defense as well.

No, I don't, but why on earth would we be trying to shore up the FORWARD group by trading the best forward in the deal, when goaltending is our biggest need. Again, Kane gives us depth up front and Binnington is a marginal improvement.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
No, I don't, but why on earth would we be trying to shore up the FORWARD group by trading the best forward in the deal, when goaltending is our biggest need. Again, Kane gives us depth up front and Binnington is a marginal improvement.

True, it should be for a stronger defenseman, I was just confused on first reading. I think Binnington is a pretty good upgrade, but that’s me.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
A deal for Draisaitl probably starts with a high-end defenseman and a 2nd line center. You'll almost certainly need to make it a three team deal to truly get what you need.

The Blues get the best player, but they don't have any problems scoring. What the Blues need is defense, so even if Mikkola isn't great, this probably makes them worse. If they're able to sign Husso and turn around and deal picks and prospects for Chychrun, maybe this works, but it's not a complete deal as is for either team.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I don’t think this is a bad trade at all. Helps both teams, imo.
no offense, but I don't think it helps either team.. not much anyways. Mikko and Binny would help EDM but not sure if it'd help them as much as they'd like
EDM needs a stud dman and a goalie
STL needs a stud LHD

in this trade the best pieces are Forwards, which neither team has a 'need' for. and even for Drai, I don't see STL trading F depth, especially fairly high end forwards

kudos for a 'give to get' proposal tho

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This really isn’t bad from the Blues side but at the same time it’s more of a why would you do it type of thing. Thomas and Buch are both great two-way players. I think that’s the only thing the Blue lose in this deal that can’t be replaced. Mikkola is solid but can’t handle the minutes we need him to yet. Binnington is better than Koskinen but Binner has been struggling a bit this season and Husso isn’t human.

I dunno it’s kind of a shake up type of move and unfortunately our forwards don’t need a shakeup near as bad as our defense does

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Have you looked at team needs at all?

With the addition of Kane, the biggest need is a goaltender. Based on this season, Binnington is a marginal improvement over Koskinen at best.

So Binnington that has won a cup and had crazy win % is a marginal upgrade over Koskinen? At this point Spencer Martin is a big imptovement over Koskinen.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Edmonton just needs a goalie and a shutdown D at the TDL. Koskinen obviously going the other way.

There's no reason to trade Drai lol
Oilers just need a goalie and a shutdown D???

They need a bonified number 1 goalie, 2 top 4D that know how to play D, and a couple of bottom 6 forwards that can score goals. I think a shutdown 3C would also be needed to help them go deep in playoffs. Oilers need a lot of components not just one goalie and one D. Unless you want the Oilers just to make playoffs and get swept in the first round lol.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Oilers just need a goalie and a shutdown D???

They need a bonified number 1 goalie, 2 top 4D that know how to play D, and a couple of bottom 6 forwards that can score goals. I think a shutdown 3C would also be needed to help them go deep in playoffs. Oilers need a lot of components not just one goalie and one D. Unless you want the Oilers just to make playoffs and get swept in the first round lol.
RNH is our 3C. Holloway isn’t even on the team yet lol. Our forward depth is fine.

We need a defenseman to bump Keith down to the third pair. Ideally a different style defenseman to replace Barrie on the right side but we can worry about that in the offseason.

Then obviously a starting goalie.

So 1-2 defenseman and a goalie is basically our biggest needs. Anything on top is nice to have but not a must. No reason to trade the second best player in the league for spare parts. We have other assets.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Leon Draisaitl, Mikko Koskinen

for

Robert Thomas, Pavel Buchnevich, Niko Mikkola, Jordan Binnington

...Or something in that sense. Maybe retention and picks involved.
so a goalie with sub par playoff numbers and dwindling numbers in regular season, a bottom pairing dman and a middle 6 forward? only true value is buchnevich. the issue isnt go much regular season as it is post season. if oilers would want to trade drai they would want players with atleast a bit of term( no binnington doesnt count cause its starting to look like hes regressing) sure buch has 3 yrs after this but if oilers have to pay a few players like JP and Bouchard theyd be taking on to much salary. its quality over quantity oilers need.

in other words unless blues are willing to slaughter their roster/prospects and picks it wont happen. only way oilers dont hang up is if you start with "we will take kosk and kassian if you are willing to trade drai and yamo" then when holland says okay well what do you have to offer it better start with buch, neighbors, husso, and go from there because that offer doesnt seem appealing at all when theres the other 30 teams that would drop to make an offer for drai. as soon as they would get a sniff of edm getting an offer for drai. not only that mcdavid, drai, nurse are all close so im pretty sure atleast mcdavid would be having a say with holland. because if its not a team altering/guaranteeing cup contending trade for drai i bet mcdavid requests a trade.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
So Binnington that has won a cup and had crazy win % is a marginal upgrade over Koskinen? At this point Spencer Martin is a big imptovement over Koskinen.

Surprise, most goalies are an improvement over Koskinen. But if our biggest need is a goaltender and the goaltender included in the trade that we are receiving for Leon ******* Draisaitl is Binnington, there is a serious problem with the trade.

Quite frankly, his previous cup means nothing to us. The same as Duncan Keith's previous cups mean nothing to us. Statistically, Binnington is a marginal improvement over Koskinen based on this years stats and the centre piece would not be Leon going back.

The remainer of the trade does not even account for the next biggest need (shut down LHD).

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
and even then oilers can make a trade with buffalo for tuch and thompson and it wouldnt cost drai. and that would solidify 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines on rw with them and JP.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
so a goalie with sub par playoff numbers and dwindling numbers in regular season, a bottom pairing dman and a middle 6 forward? only true value is buchnevich. the issue isnt go much regular season as it is post season. if oilers would want to trade drai they would want players with atleast a bit of term( no binnington doesnt count cause its starting to look like hes regressing) sure buch has 3 yrs after this but if oilers have to pay a few players like JP and Bouchard theyd be taking on to much salary. its quality over quantity oilers need.

in other words unless blues are willing to slaughter their roster/prospects and picks it wont happen. only way oilers dont hang up is if you start with "we will take kosk and kassian if you are willing to trade drai and yamo" then when holland says okay well what do you have to offer it better start with buch, neighbors, husso, and go from there because that offer doesnt seem appealing at all when theres the other 30 teams that would drop to make an offer for drai. as soon as they would get a sniff of edm getting an offer for drai. not only that mcdavid, drai, nurse are all close so im pretty sure atleast mcdavid would be having a say with holland. because if its not a team altering/guaranteeing cup contending trade for drai i bet mcdavid requests a trade.
U know nothing about Robert Thomas……

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Leon Draisaitl, Mikko Koskinen

for

Robert Thomas, Pavel Buchnevich, Niko Mikkola, Jordan Binnington

...Or something in that sense. Maybe retention and picks involved.

Trading for Draisaitl would involve an actual honest to goodness overpayment. I don't see that here.

When proposing a deal for one of the top players in the game signed long term on a sweetheart contract look at something on your roster you don't want to move and add.

From an Oilers perspective they need a #1D and probably a 2C to make them think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad