Still early, but anyone else feel the Chychrun-Jensen trade might actually be a win-win trade?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Your analogy is a straw man as there values aren't that far apart.

Chychrun sucked on Ottawa. His value had dropped. He was also relatively expensive.

There wasn't much of a market for Chychrun.

Jensen plays RD which was not only a need for Ottawa but a shortage in the NHL.

This mean that any value gap was made closer by market forces.

That's how economics work.

I find it amusing how many fans think that GM's have so many better options when trading players buy don't because of....reasons?

That being said, they both seem like a better fit now.

I'm talking about their value when Ottawa will be competing.

You made the strawman.

I'm saying their value right now is ok but with chychrun being 8 years younger or whatever, and Ottawa not competing, that by the time Ottawa is ready to compete, Jensen will be washed up or on his last legs or gone while chychrun will probably be a second pairing defenseman.

So if our cup window is in a few years, this trade doesn't help this team in its cup window.

Don't say I'm making a strawman if you don't even understand what I was saying. Just ask for clarification.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Chychrun have been a stud so far. Looking like a 1D and the best defenceman on the Capitals.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
they can keep him was nothing but a useless overpayed bum when he played here. all the hype he had was crazy.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

You made the strawman.

I'm saying their value right now is ok but with chychrun being 8 years younger or whatever, and Ottawa not competing, that by the time Ottawa is ready to compete, Jensen will be washed up or on his last legs or gone while chychrun will probably be a second pairing defenseman.

So if our cup window is in a few years, this trade doesn't help this team in its cup window.

Don't say I'm making a strawman if you don't even understand what I was saying. Just ask for clarification.
On the other hand: they traded one year of Chychrun for two years of Jensen. Age is immaterial when Chychrun was never re-signing in Ottawa.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Yes, Chychrun is a better player overall than Jensen.

The trade was 1 year of Chychrun for 2 years of Jensen and a 3rd round pick.

I'm glad Chychrun fits on the Caps where he doesn't have Sanderson and Chabot blocking him from meaningful icetime.

And good for Chychrun, as if he continues to have a good season he'll cash in next offseason, some team will overpay him, as nearly all UFAs are overpaid.

Jensen has been steady Eddy. He leads the Sens in +- and has 4 assists in 6 games. Most importantly, he's a defense-first RD, exactly what the team needed.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Haven't watched any OTT games but I assume they aren't playing man-on-man in zone? That IMO is what made Jensen struggle last year in WSH, he just wasn't a good fit for Carbery's system after being an extremely good one for Lavi's. I also wouldn't take a victory lap too early -- Chabot-Jensen is rocking a 33% xG share in almost 80 minutes ...

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

You made the strawman.

You make very little sense and come off as pretty much here to just pick fights. Between this and your posts in the David Perron thread I've had enough.

So before I hit ignore. I say good day to you sir...I said good day!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You make very little sense and come off as pretty much here to just pick fights. Between this and your posts in the David Perron thread I've had enough.

So before I hit ignore. I say good day to you sir...I said good day!

I feel like I should argue with you about how it's a bad idea to ignore me because 1/10th of my posts are golden...in my opinion!

But I shall bid you farewell kind sir!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad