Still early, but anyone else feel the Chychrun-Jensen trade might actually be a win-win trade?

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Both guys fit their new teams well. Win win so far.

Chychrun didn't fit the Sens as they already had Sanderson and Chabot on the left, who move the puck up ice better than Chychrun being better skaters and puckhandlers so got most of the PP time / offensive situations. It was unfair to have him on the bottom pairing with a poor partner or right side. He was bad on the right side but the large majority of NHL D-men can't play their off side well. He did have a really bad season, I'm glad he is bouncing back, he just didn't fit the Sens, dumb trade by Dorion chasing a name. Good offensive D-man with that cannon, that had to be in the top 4 on the left side with a partner that is good defensively to thrive. And get PP time. It'll be interesting to see how he helps Washington in a playoff run, scores 20+ goals, and what he'll get paid.

A veteran defender who skates well like Jensen is exactly what the Sens needed as their #4. Good salary, 2 years, which should coincide with Yakemchuk replacing him in the top 4 should his development continue to go well. He's been especially valuable with Zub out. Today he was on with Sanderson for the last minute protecting the 1 goal lead. The guy looks like he just knows what to do, not flashy but steady. Doesn't add much to the offense, but not his role. Has wheels to skate the puck up ice when required.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
So the Sens traded a 12th overall pick and two 2nd round picks for Chychurn, flipped him for a third round pick and a 34 year old "exceptionally smart defensive" stay at home 2nd pair/2nd PK Defeseman and it's a win-win? Sure.
The initial Chychrun trade was obviously a disaster for Ottawa. But OP was clearly talking about the trade with Washington.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Jensen is 34 years old.

This is a bad value trade. Good for Ottawa it is working out this year, but Chychrun has way more value.

Guys like Jensen can be obtained for cheap every year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jensen is 34 years old.

This is a bad value trade. Good for Ottawa it is working out this year, but Chychrun has way more value.

Guys like Jensen can be obtain for cheap every year.

Well, he has no value if he walks. He's a free agent after this season.

Sens decided to get something they actually needed in the line-up (defensive-minded RD) and so far it's helped them, particularly with Zub on the shelf.

Anyway, on paper Chychrun is by far the better player but he didn't work out in Ottawa very well for whatever reason.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
To be honest, Sens look more balanced now with Jensen. He's pretty good, steady.

I liked Chychrun too so glad he's doing well in Washington

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ben Chiarot got a late 1st as a UFA to be at the deadline.

Let that sink in.

That helps Ottawa in 3-4 years.

Ottawa and Montreal are not at the same point in the rebuild schedule.

Let that sink in.

They had a massive hole at RD in the top four and those guys are not easily available.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
That helps Ottawa in 3-4 years.

Ottawa and Montreal are not at the same point in the rebuild schedule.

Let that sink in.

They had a massive hole at RD in the top four and those guys are not easily available.
A smart GM could have flipped Chychrun for good futures and then used the cap space and the futures to get a good D with an age that fits the core.

Nobody is going to convince me 34 y old Nick frickin Jensen was good value for Chychrun.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Value wise it's a loss for Ottawa even if Jensen fits Ottawas team more right now.

It's just poor asset control. If chychrun is a top 4D in 5 years and Jensen is long gone and Ottawa wants to compete down the road, it's poor asset control.

Chychrun being more valuable than Jensen and therefore being able to command a higher salary isn't exactly a plus for Jensen though.

It's like saying I would rather have Zack MacEwan over McDavid because McDavid will command 13M and we don't have that cap space but we have the cap space for MacEwan so we wouldn't make that swap in the summer? Yeah right.

Unless one is overpaid...but if both command market value and one gets noticeably more, it's because he's a better player or more valuable asset.

Like with stocks, price isn't a reflection of value, it's market perception of value.

I get your point, and it's valid, and I'm not disagreeing with it, but skill/production have to be weighed against other factors like roster fit, long term cap situation, coachability/room fit, dependability (injuries) etc.

I would like this trade more from the Jensen side if he was going a team like Edmonton or the Leafs, and not a rebuilding team like Ottawa, who don't need that solid defensive bang-for-buck like other cap crunched teams. Not being told who these guys play for beforehand, I would have guessed the teams were reversed based on roster/cap fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad