Value of: Steven Stamkos’ next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stamkos has one year left in Tampa and will be 34 years old when his contract is up. In your opinion what is Stamkos’ market value and what deal will he end up signing (and where)?

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
No reason for him to leave Tampa. He's been the face of that franchise for almost 15 years.

3-4 years at 8-9 mil per.
Agree with you No reason to leave Tampa. His next contract will depend of # of year.
2 years @ 9.5 M
3 years @ 9.25 M
4 Years @ 8.5 M
That's the price for a point per game players and a 30 goal +

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I see him taking less to allow the team to win, dude has got the cash, he’s got the cups. If he wants to keep playing it’s to win.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Agree with you No reason to leave Tampa. His next contract will depend of # of year.
2 years @ 9.5 M
3 years @ 9.25 M
4 Years @ 8.5 M
That's the price for a point per game players and a 30 goal +
I don't think that TB can afford to give SS a cap hit of ~$9M, without making another move with the "core". While the cap is likely going up next year (amount TBD), Hagel's cap hit goes up $5M with his new contract, and all the expiring contracts are in that $1M range that you don't really get relief from as you need to replace that guy with another league minimum-ish contract.

Tampa Bay Lightning Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Overly simplistic - but if the cap goes up $3M, SS would likely have to sign for about the $7M'ish that the poster "Vasilevsky" is hoping for a couple posts above this one. I think that's possible if the Bolts go for a slightly longer contract than they'd probably like (4-5 years).

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
I see him taking less to allow the team to win, dude has got the cash, he’s got the cups. If he wants to keep playing it’s to win.
I don't agree with your reasoning. If he's got cash and cups, why is it obvious that if he keeps playing it's for more cups? Lots of players choose cash over the best chance to win, especially once they've already won.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I don't agree with your reasoning. If he's got cash and cups, why is it obvious that if he keeps playing it's for more cups? Lots of players choose cash over the best chance to win, especially once they've already won.
Most players haven’t made over $100 million in a low tax environment. It’s a zero sum game and the more he makes the less is available. If he is in it just for the money, he would leave as a free agent to a garbage team to not make the playoffs and reduce the burden on his body. Nothing I have ever seen, or read leads me to believe that is what he is about.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Stamkos has one year left in Tampa and will be 34 years old when his contract is up. In your opinion what is Stamkos’ market value and what deal will he end up signing (and where)?

I think he takes a discount.

4 years at 6-7 per.

Helps keep TB cap flexible to continue bringing in players to help maintain a competitive team.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No reason for him to leave Tampa. He's been the face of that franchise for almost 15 years.

3-4 years at 8-9 mil per.
To me the face of the franchise has been Kucherov for at least the past 8 years. But I don't see Stamkos wanting to leave, but he's pretty much lost it at this point. He's in the same category as Tavares, older stars out of their primes, still put up points but pretty unimpressive.

Maybe something like a 3x7M ? Would be fair value

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The where is Tampa, I can't see him going anywhere els, MAYBE in his last season season if Tampa sucks and he decides he wants to compete but he's already got 2 cups so maybe not.

3-4 years 7 million per

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
To me the face of the franchise has been Kucherov for at least the past 8 years. But I don't see Stamkos wanting to leave, but he's pretty much lost it at this point. He's in the same category as Tavares, older stars out of their primes, still put up points but pretty unimpressive.
Kuch has been the biggest star but Stamkos is still the leader and the heart and soul of the franchise.

And “pretty unimpressive”? Stamkos is two seasons removed from the highest point total of his career - a total Tavares came within 20 points of only twice and never closer than 18. To compare the two is ludicrous. In fact Stammer’s point totals the last two seasons are almost identical to those of Auston Matthews (yes, in more games, but that doesn’t change the fact that his total production has matched that of someone Leafs fans insist is a top five player in the game.) He may be in decline but even a declining Stamkos is still better than 99% of players in the league.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Kuch has been the biggest star but Stamkos is still the leader and the heart and soul of the franchise.

And “pretty unimpressive”? Stamkos is two seasons removed from the highest point total of his career - a total Tavares came within 20 points of only twice and never closer than 18. To compare the two is ludicrous. In fact Stammer’s point totals the last two seasons are almost identical to those of Auston Matthews (yes, in more games, but that doesn’t change the fact that his total production has matched that of someone Leafs fans insist is a top five player in the game.) He may be in decline but even a declining Stamkos is still better than 99% of players in the league.
I mean unimpressive in the way they score points. He puts up points but doesn't look dominant or impressive in doing so.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The heart says he will sign a reasonable contract to retire here. In the end it is buisness. I would not be suprised if Yzerman drops a number on him to come and mentor the youngsters in Detroit. Stammer will be productive as long as he wishes to play. His drop off will happen but in what world does he score fewer than 20 goals and 40 assts? Maybe at 40 Jager was effective after 35 then there’s OV. The one thing that would be a concern is injury Stamkos has missed parts of a number of years but he remains a threat . If he resigns in Tampa even at 7+ he will be worth it. The guy that may just fall off a cliff is Heddy it’s harder for a D guy after 33 or 34 his loss would be more of an impact . So time will tell if the Bolts continue to struggle like to be last half of last season not sure what happens. The first 35 games of this season will set direction of what is going to need to happen.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad