Value of: Steven Stamkos’ next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Most players haven’t made over $100 million in a low tax environment. It’s a zero sun game and the more he makes the less is available. If he is in it just for the money, he would leave as a free agent to a garbage team to not make the playoffs and reduce the burden on his body. Nothing I have ever seen, or read leads me to believe that is what he is about.

Dude you ever been to Florida? "Zero sun" is not how I would describe it :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: oceanchild

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I don't see how he remains in Tampa unless he takes a pay cut. Too many massive contracts on Tampa.

The Sergachev contract won't look good in 2 years from now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If he has kids I think theres little doubt hes staying. I mean theres a very very low chance of him leaving given he won his cups and is going to retire as the franchises best ever player. He has 0 pressure at this point and has a job for life with Tampa even when he retires so his options are unlimited.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't see how he remains in Tampa unless he takes a pay cut. Too many massive contracts on Tampa.

The Sergachev contract won't look good in 2 years from now.
If you look at the projected roster - more than half the team would be making the league minimum. I respect the hell out of the Lightning and what they've been able to accomplish, but I don't think that a team can be successful being that "top-heavy". If you look at recent Cup winners - they all were "deep" teams that got contributions up and down the line-up.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If you look at the projected roster - more than half the team would be making the league minimum. I respect the hell out of the Lightning and what they've been able to accomplish, but I don't think that a team can be successful being that "top-heavy". If you look at recent Cup winners - they all were "deep" teams that got contributions up and down the line-up.

Tampa got their cups and just about became a dynasty had they got their 3rd straight. But I think their window is closing, they're just too top heavy now. And theyve lost a lot of key pieces from their cup wins - Palat, McDonough, Killorn, Maroon.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If Stamkos takes in the 7-7.5 range, Tampa will be able to run 3 forward lines, their top 2 D pairs and thelr starting G all making over league min next year in all likelihood. Sure, they won't be as deep as they were when they could run a 3rd line of Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow, but they certainly won't be running half a team of min league contracts. Those that are making league min or close will be mostly 4th line/bottom pairing players.that are still solid for what they bring(Raddysh, Eyssimont etc.).

The flat cap made it clear several of the non core pieces would have to go, and Brisebois ususally won't keep or overpay these types for long contracts once in their early to mid 30's. Stamkos is a bit different given his role with the team, but if he wants too much, he too will go somewhere else and the team will use the 7-8 million on someone else(or perhaps a couple of players) next summer.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Players hate escrow which is why they voted no to increasing the cap this season. Escrow would have been higher than 6%

If the owners top up at the end of the season ($87.5M cap for 24/25), how do they distribute it? Prorated? Seems tricky to me and if there is rumors of that near the end of this season, you can forget about players taking low AAV's to join a contender.

If the PA had accepted the NHL’s offer Escrow withholding would have been higher than 6%, but if both sides planned out the cap raise accurately the final Escrow % should have ended up under 6%.

If the Owners have to top off the players then first the total $ amount of underpayment is calculated. Each team will contribute 1/32nd of the payment pool required to ensure the players receive 50%. The pool of money is distributed proportionately to each player based on their salary and signing bonuses for the season.

It’s simpler to do than it might sound. For example if they calculate the players were underpaid by 3.4% then every player will receive 3.4% more compensation after the season. Players who split time between the NHL and minor leagues receive 3.4% of the compensation they earned while on the NHL roster. The 3.4% boost is based on the actual player compensation for that season, not the AAV.

For perspective, in my hypothetical scenario where the players were underpaid by 3.4% each of the 32 teams would kick in a little over $3 after the season to top off the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad