Steve Yzerman is not a good GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
How so? Posters are saying using the Avalanche is a bad comparison because the Wings were so poor and lacked talent.

Vegas literally didn't exist, had no prospect pipe-line or infrastructure, no coaching staff, etc. and won a Cup within five years.

Quite damning for Yzerman and Detroit, don't you think?

If you have better examples I'm all ears.

If you're done claiming the Avs rebuild started after they had lottery picks, or that a team created from an expansion draft is comparable to a team a GM took over as they were bottoming out, I'm all ears.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Which point-per-game perennial Norris contender did he pass on? Or is it his job to secretly manufacture these guys in a lab?
He drafted a HOF goalie at 18 and Brayden Point in the third round. Why are you making excuses for Stevie Y?

If you're done claiming the Avs rebuild started after they had lottery picks, I'm all ears.
You have trouble staying on topic, I thought we were discussing Vegas.

The Avs had lottery picks through 18/19, which I've discussed at length.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
He drafted a HOF goalie at 18 and Brayden Point in the third round. Why are you making excuses for Stevie Y?

You have trouble staying on topic, I thought we were discussing Vegas.

The Avs had lottery picks through 18/19, which I've discussed at length.
I edited the post. Maybe if you quit changing the topic every time one of your arguments implodes you wouldn't have such a hard time getting people to stay on it.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Which Hall of Fame goalies, 1st line centers, and perennial norris contenders did he ACTUALLY pass on since he's been in Detroit.

He can't draft a Brayden Point in the 3rd round if there is no Brayden Point there to draft in the 3rd rounds

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I edited the post. Maybe if you quit changing the topic every time one of your arguments implodes you wouldn't have such a hard time getting people to stay on it.
How so? I've consistently argued that a five year window is enough time to build a contender and I continue to provide examples of such.

That's not changing the topic.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Except if you're Colorado or Vegas.

I guess he isn't the drafting genius his fans in Tampa made him out to be.

Colorado's rebuild goes back to 2011 lol. Lets just say it doesn't though and it started with the Rantanen selection (as your previous post tried to suggest). Rantanen was drafted in 2015, therefore the "rebuild" would have kicked off during the 2014-2015 season. The Av's won the cup in the 2021-2022 season, which would mean that it took 8 seasons to go from rebuild to cup winner. So my point still stands. You're holding the Detroit rebuild to a standard that no other rebuilding team has come close to achieving.

Vegas makes no sense. They haven't even been around long enough to have to go into a "rebuild" like we're talking about.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Colorado's rebuild goes back to 2011 lol. Lets just say it doesn't though and it started with the Rantanen selection (as your previous post tried to suggest). Rantanen was drafted in 2015, therefore the "rebuild" would have kicked off during the 2014-2015 season. The Av's won the cup in the 2021-2022 season, which would mean that it took 8 seasons to go from rebuild to cup winner. So my point still stands. You're holding the Detroit rebuild to a standard that no other rebuilding team has come close to achieving.

Vegas makes no sense. They haven't even been around long enough to have to go into a "rebuild" like we're talking about.

I've now given three examples of teams that turned things around in five years. But my post from above stands:

I could give you a hundred examples, you'd just say it's a poor comparison in one way or another no matter what.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
How could Yzerman be so f***ing stupid to not draft a Crosby and Malkin level player two years in a row. It's easy!
So success comes down to luck more than anything else and previous drafting results don't mean much?

I don't disagree, but building a team covers more facets than just the draft.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If you're done claiming the Avs rebuild started after they had lottery picks, or that a team created from an expansion draft is comparable to a team a GM took over as they were bottoming out, I'm all ears.
if you’re going to count the early AVS picks, then you need to include the wings picks before SY and the time spent rebuilding as well before SY.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Florida (the team that just won the cup, IIIRC) drafted 3rd overall in 2010, 3rd overall in 2011, 2nd overall in 2013, and 1st overall in 2014 (heyyy they didn't complete their 2010 rebuild by 2014).

They used those players, or assets from those players (along with other players at the top of those drafts) to win the cup. And they look like they will be a powerhouse moving forward with those players.

Why would anyone think rebuilds take time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's a good GM that had more luck in Tampa vs what he is having in Detroit. Just goes to show that building through the draft is not that easy. A lot of luck is involved.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
So success comes down to luck more than anything else and previous drafting results don't mean much?

Have you looked at Pittsburgh's drafting over the last 20 years?

Because it f***ing sucks. :laugh:

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Coming from the guy who used the mid 2000s Penguins as an example of how rebuilding isn't that hard...
What does that have to do with anything?

Detroit fans claim a rebuild takes more than five years, I've now provided three separate examples of three different teams that became contenders in a five year period. I'm sorry you don't like that, but it doesn't change reality.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012

Using the benefit of hindsight, please build us a powerhouse of a team that Yzerman had the option of drafting from the 2019 drafts and later

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've now given three examples of teams that turned things around in five years. But my post from above stands:

No, no you haven't. Colorado didn't do it in 5yrs and I laid that out to you....you just keep ignoring it. Vegas has never gone into a rebuild. Their only 5yrs into the league and the team was built under significantly different circumstances. Who was the 3rd example you gave?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
No, no you haven't. Colorado didn't do it in 5yrs and I laid that out to you....you just keep ignoring it. Vegas has never gone into a rebuild. Their only 5yrs into the league and the team was built under significantly different circumstances. Who was the 3rd example you gave?
I see, Detroit is unique and was bad in a way the league has never seen, thus there are no comparisons.

You guys are hysterical.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
if you’re going to count the early AVS picks, then you need to include the wings picks before SY and the time spent rebuilding as well before SY.

Yes. We'll compare Yzerman starting with Rasmussen and Zadina to the Avs having Landeskog and MacKinnon if you like. :laugh:

You're right. Ken Holland really set him up for success there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad