Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Flyers won 38 games last season - improving in each of the last two seasons with Tortorella behind the bench. Those 38 wins are the most the team has had since their last playoff season in 2019-20.

The 2016-17 Blue Jackets won 50 games. They won 45 the next season and 47 the year after that. At no point during that stretch were the Blue Jackets legitimate contenders.

An army of middle 6 forwards blocking shots and only scoring on the counterattack can win a surprising number of regular season NHL games. But without a strong nucleus of elite talent, you're not going anywhere in the playoffs. Grinding down players and wearing out relationships in pursuit of a first round exit is not particularly tantalizing, and it has a nasty side effect of making it harder to gain the additional elite talent needed through the draft.

Michkov is a start, but without additional guns they're liable to waste his career like they did with Giroux. Hey, with Giroux they won 47 games once! Their best season since the last time they did that! They never had the talent to win 16 games in the playoffs, though.

Reactions: BillDineen and JPT

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Is there any chance he is really injured or is he just milking his current contract?
"Why not both" meme probably fits best. He has had some pretty bad injuries over the years, the one he got in the playoffs in 2017, we thought maybe he had a ruptured achilles in last year with the Preds, but it turned out not to have been ruptured. Anyway, I don't doubt stuff has taken a toll and he is physically diminished. He claims his hip injury is too bad to play (conveniently diagnosed after being sent to the minors by Philly, despite that he could play through it with Colorado). Philly apparently accepted that. At the time in letting him not report to the AHL, later in not pursuing a buyout, and right up until he started doing dance moves at his wedding? They were ok with LTIRing him and accepting his injured status. But at the same time, spotting grounds for material breach and termination was a bonus opportunity for them to save that LTIR hassle (plus whatever leftover amount insurance wasn't covering?)

He's probably "hurting". Which lots of veteran players are. To what extent he could play through it (in his case probably very ineffectively), vs. sit out on LTIR, I don't know. But according to him and his agent he needs surgery, they have consulted on that with Philly staff and third party doctors, and he actually had hip surgery scheduled at the time of termination. So I think it's fair to believe there is indeed an injury. :dunno:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Impressive. Flyers are not a good team. They are stuck in neutral going nowhere fast. For the last decade plus.

Like where they're headed a lot more than most developing teams. With the exception of maybe Carolina - and more because of their culture than their personnel (particularly since they lost Don Waddell and replaced him with analytics guys) - don't see any of the other Metro teams challenging for a Stanley Cup any time soon.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Like where they're headed a lot more than most developing teams. With the exception of maybe Carolina - and more because of their culture than their personnel (particularly since they lost Don Waddell and replaced him with analytics guys) - don't see any of the other Metro teams challenging for a Stanley Cup any time soon.
Flyers are headed where they are always headed. A road to nowhere. There is no plan. No direction. They have an average at best prospect pool. Despite being a bad team. No true stars on the team currently. MM is the only hope. Even then only so much he can do.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ill assume you meant he'd likely be demoted to the AHL. BRAVO!!!!
Is there any chance he is really injured or is he just milking his current contract?
Guy is likely legitimately injured to some degree. He has had several injuries (some severe - compartment syndrome, skate to the leg, etc). Supposedly has some sort of hip injury now. I guess the big question is - how much pain is a player willing to put up with to play for a mediocre team? He was willing to ride through the pain playing for a cup contender. If he was still on the Avalanche, would he still be playing or would he be undergoing surgery and possibly calling it a year? That's a loaded hypothetical but it is essentially what players have to ask themselves year in year out. Do i take the risk in further injuring myself and impacting my life after hockey for this team? The current iteration of the flyers isnt exactly a team id be excited to do that for (personally speaking).

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Flyers are headed where they are always headed. A road to nowhere. There is no plan. No direction. They have an average at best prospect pool. Despite being a bad team. No true stars on the team currently. MM is the only hope. Even then only so much he can do.

Awful lot of Flyers' prospects in their respective country's U20 camps. None of them are top prospects?

And others putting up huge numbers in college.

They aren't any good?

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Ill assume you meant he'd likely be demoted to the AHL. BRAVO!!!!
He is definitely injured. Problem is it's one of those nagging things that is keeping him from being 100%. He's not hurt enough to miss NHL games, but is too hurt to play AHL games. which is raising a lot of questions here and rightfully so.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Awful lot of Flyers' prospects in their respective country's U20 camps. None of them are top prospects?

They aren't any good?
Get back to me when they contribute at the NHL level. They are a nothing special prospect group outside of MM.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Is he cooked?
What's the deal with him?

I feel like the Habs should give him a one year "show me" contract
Show what? That he can still play? That a well known soft (but large) player with recent injury history and in the last year of an eight year, sixty four million dollar contract who couldn't contribute to a contender with all the opportunity imaginable and is now actively not trying to play at all... what do you want him to show you? You won't like it.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I didn't followed that situation at all but damn lol

It seems that he fell hard
I meant that this isn't a situation where a guy needs a fresh start after being marred by injuries like Monahan, who has pretty much universally liked by his team mates. Johansen was lazy in Colorado and their core players didn't like his effort. Not the type of player you want around a young team.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

They aren't any good?

My guy, that means NOTHING. In 2017, the Flyers had 9 of their draft picks play in the WJC—no other team had more than 6, and most had 2 or 3. Damn, the Flyers must have had a great prospect pool and a bright future, right? Surely, today they're one of the best franchises in the league.

Except those players were David Kase, Felix Sandstrom, David Bernhardt, Carter Hart, Philippe Myers, German Rubtsov, Mikhail Vorobyev, Matej Tomek, and Tanner Laczynski. Not only did they not turn out to be impact players: literally none of them are even in the NHL today. Well, one of them was, but then...

You're hitting on something that has plagued the franchise for a very long time, which is its aversion to boom/bust picks and preference to draft high-floor-low-ceiling talent. Sure, they're shoe-ins for a junior tournament, but that doesn't mean they project to be anything as pros.

Their roster today is 80+% comprised of mid-to-late-first-round draft picks. They might have the most first rounders on the NHL roster of any team in the league, if not the second. Guess what? Those are all just depth guys. Scott Laughtons and Ryan Poehlings. You can't risk a Pastrnak when there's a perfectly good Sanheim sitting right there. Buium? No, Luchankoooooooooo!

They don't have a strong prospect pipeline. At best, they just have more of the same shit they already have in spades. I don't know who you're referring to in college, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillDineen and SnS

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
My guy, that means NOTHING. In 2017, the Flyers had 9 of their draft picks play in the WJC—no other team had more than 6, and most had 2 or 3. Damn, the Flyers must have had a great prospect pool and a bright future, right? Surely, today they're one of the best franchises in the league.

Except those players were David Kase, Felix Sandstrom, David Bernhardt, Carter Hart, Philippe Myers, German Rubtsov, Mikhail Vorobyev, Matej Tomek, and Tanner Laczynski. Not only did they not turn out to be impact players: literally none of them are even in the NHL today. Well, one of them was, but then...

You're hitting on something that has plagued the franchise for a very long time, which is its aversion to boom/bust picks and preference to draft high-floor-low-ceiling talent. Sure, they're shoe-ins for a junior tournament, but that doesn't mean they project to be anything as pros.

Their roster today is 80+% comprised of mid-to-late-first-round draft picks. They might have the most first rounders on the NHL roster of any team in the league, if not the second. Guess what? Those are all just depth guys. Scott Laughtons and Ryan Poehlings. You can't risk a Pastrnak when there's a perfectly good Sanheim sitting right there. Buium? No, Luchankoooooooooo!

They don't have a strong prospect pipeline. At best, they just have more of the same shit they already have in spades. I don't know who you're referring to in college, either.

Hmm. You conveniently ignore Oliver Bonk and Denver Barkey. And Luchanko seems more likely to be an impact player in the NHL than a college defenseman who was the sixth defensemen taken in the draft.

Particularly with the defensemen already in the Flyers' system or on the way.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Hmm. You conveniently ignore Oliver Bonk and Denver Barkey. And Luchanko seems more likely to be an impact player in the NHL than a college defenseman who was the sixth defensemen taken in the draft.

Like who? Besides Bonk they have nothing but huge question marks in the system.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

I don't ignore them. Bonk looks like a second-pairing defender with junior offensive totals inflated by his use as a forward on the PP. And even with that, he's not outproducing Travis Sanheim at the same age (W to O, I know). Barkey is another little guy shredding juniors--some interesting potential there, but he's not outscoring Morgan Frost at the same age. These are pretty good prospects, but not guys who change a franchise's trajectory.

Add in Luchanko, who is a little bit of a mystery box because he's so incredibly young, that's about it for noteworthy Flyers prospects. But unless those dudes all break in extremely favorable ways, their current top prospects project to be more middle-of-the-lineup guys. On a team whose main limitation is that it is entirely comprised of middle-of-the-lineup guys.

I don't know why you think the Flyers fans here don't know anything about their team. We do. We don't want to be grim and dismal about it, but if you watch how they operate very closely, you see it. We've just been watching them spin wheels for more than a decade now, and we've all called it out as it has happened, and we continue to call it out because it has continued to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillDineen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad