Steal of the 2023 draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wasn't Jagr ranked around 5/6 by most scouts, while only a few called him the best player for the 90 draft? If I recall, scouts thought he didn't have the flash sexiness appeal.

jagrTHN.jpg

I think the 'flash' thing came from a random quote from a nameless scout from THN's Draft Preview. A couple other blips from the write up:

"Czechoslovakian left winger Jaromir Jagr is considered by some scouts to be the best player eligible for this year's draft."

"After the World Championships in Finland, Bob Clarke proclaimed Jagr as the best player available, but he has since been fired as general manager of the Philadelphia Flyers who pick fourth overall."

Signability was a factor. The previous year Bobby Holik would have gone higher but teams weren't totally sure when they'd get him. Holik defected at that draft, but Jagr maybe didn't indicate to teams that'd be willing to do the same / only did so for Pittsburgh.

At the same draft, the draft preview mentions that Slava Kozlov (and Pavel Bure if his 1989 draft rights were revoked) were top 10 talents. But them being Russian meant nobody knew when they'd come over, so they went much later.

Edit: It was a few years before my time, but it is interesting to read how the Iron Curtain affected the draft. Here's one from 1989 about Holik:

Robert Holik, an 18-year-old left wing with the Czechoslovakian national hockey team, is believed to have defected to the United States with the hope of joining the Minnesota North Stars of the National Hockey League, a published report says.

"The question of the day is: Where is Robert Holik?" the Toronto Star quotes an unnamed NHL executive who is attending the league meetings in Minneapolis as saying in today's editions.The meetings will be capped on Saturday by the annual entry draft.

"If he's in North America, as is rumored, it could throw the draft upside down," the executive is quoted as saying.

The newspaper says hockey officials believe that Holik, rated highly by NHL scouts, is being kept hidden by the North Stars, who intend to select him with their No. 1 pick, the seventh overall, in Saturday's draft.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Riley Heidt should have been a first rounder.
Remains to be seen. I think he's largely carried by Koehn Ziemmer. Not even just offensively but mainly defensively and physically. I think he knows it. Every interview he does, pretty much no matter what he's asked, he's singing his linemates praises:laugh:

Heidt is the boom or bust type of player. I'm not yet sure what it's gonna be and how his game is gonna translate to NHL hockey.

For now I'm just curious how he does without Ziemmer. For starters, I didn't think he was any good vs Everett.

Reactions: kinghock

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Remains to be seen. I think he's largely carried by Koehn Ziemmer. Not even just offensively but mainly defensively and physically. I think he knows it. Every interview he does, pretty much no matter what he's asked, he's singing his linemates praises:laugh:

Heidt is the boom or bust type of player. I'm not yet sure what it's gonna be and how his game is gonna translate to NHL hockey.

For now I'm just curious how he does without Ziemmer. For starters, I didn't think he was any good vs Everett.

He did well in camp with Walker and Haight as his teammates.

I guess the WJC will show us where he's at, but he's done as well as he can.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Brzustewicz taken 75th OA leading all defenseman in the OHL in points and 5 points removed from league lead.

41 points in 26 games. Rehkophf and Brzustewicz have been feasting together and their chemistry is quite remarkable for a defense-forward partnership.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I saw this as the latest thread used in the NHL Draft-Prospects section and chuckled to myself. Late November of 2023 is of course way too early to know who was a steal and who wasn't in the 2023 draft as we won't know for a few years and there is nothing to be gained by speculating.

Then I saw the thread had been started 10 days after the conclusion of the draft. :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He did well in camp with Walker and Haight as his teammates.

I guess the WJC will show us where he's at, but he's done as well as he can.
Playing a WJC on a Canadian team isn't exactly a great measuring stick...unless you're a goalie maybe.

I'm much more interested to find out how his game is gonna translate to pro hockey. Time will tell.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
waaaaaaaaaaaay to early

I get why we have this thread. But players get a bump by either knowing an NHL team wants them or motivation to do better because they either fell or were not drafted.

Also, in many cases they are now the men playing against the boys

Reactions: Blueston

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Signability was a factor. The previous year Bobby Holik would have gone higher but teams weren't totally sure when they'd get him. Holik defected at that draft, but Jagr maybe didn't indicate to teams that'd be willing to do the same / only did so for Pittsburgh.
There was no need for Jágr to defect, Czechoslovakia was already ruled by liberal democrats at that point and citizens free to leave the country.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Rehkopf I thought was a 22-32 pick who slipped to 50 and is currently showing huge progression.

Benson is gonna make a lot of teams regret passing

Yegor Sidorov is a guy I'm keeping eye on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad