Steal of the 2023 draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Outside top3, Jagr tops him
Wasn't Jagr ranked around 5/6 by most scouts, while only a few called him the best player for the 90 draft? If I recall, scouts thought he didn't have the flash sexiness appeal.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Wasn't Jagr ranked around 5/6 by most scouts, while only a few called him the best player for the 90 draft? If I recall, scouts thought he didn't have the flash sexiness appeal.
I wasn’t following the NHL back then but I have heard and read several times that he fell because of questions concerning his character.

Edit: Just found this:

Sounds similar to Michkov who apparently really wanted to join the Flyers (for reasons beyond my understanding).

Reactions: Fantomas

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wasn’t following the NHL back then but I have heard and read several times that he fell because of questions concerning his character.

Sounds similar to Michkov who apparently really wanted to join the Flyers (for reasons beyond my understanding).
I think Friedman said with Michkov it was that he wanted to play for a team with a rich history. Friedman said he also would've played for Washington.

Essentially, in a nice way Friedman was suggesting Michkov didn't want to play for whatever will happen with the Arizona Coyotes.

Probably would've played for Montreal too, but it didn't seem like they were interested in him. Whether that extends to him also wanting to play for teams like San Jose, Columbus, Anaheim that don't have the Coyotes problems but also aren't viewed as the heritage teams in the NHL, I don't know. Doesn't seem like they were interested in him, so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Maybe Allen uses his massive drop as motivation and becomes a 4/5 d-man

I mean he fell into the Grand Canyon to describe his drop from top 10 preseason

Reactions: Chainshot

Astyanax

May 5, 2020

Well, i don't remember all of that, but the rumor as I heard it in Detroit, was after petr klima, they didn't/ wouldn't risk a high pick on a Czech.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Potentially. That was the one guy I was thinking might be similar in that regard.
Could Kariya maybe also be in that discussion? It was before my time, but his numbers were absurd,size was only reason he didn’t go first or second like he should have it seems.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could Kariya maybe also be in that discussion? It was before my time, but his numbers were absurd,size was only reason he didn’t go first or second like he should have it seems.
Yeah, that's another good one. And before my time too, so I can't discuss the exact reasons for him. There might've been some other reasons.

I remember reading about the reasons for Jagr. I think there were some concerns about whether he'd come to NA. Kariya, don't have the same knowledge about why.

Reactions: GunnarStahl

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ummm, Shane Wright??
No, I think Michkov was better pre-draft than Wright. Wright obviously was very good, and one of the better pre-draft prospects to fall outside the top 3 in a long time, but Michkov is definitely in a similar tier with players like Jagr and Kariya in that regard. Wright is not at that level, but there aren't that many others in the last 20 years that were better pre-draft than Wright that fell outside the top 3. There probably still are a few more before you get to Wright.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
There’s some good stuff being said about Jeremy on the avs board. We’ll see.

• 187th overall – Jeremy Hanzel, Defenseman, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Michkov by a mile.

I don’t think there’s ever been a player that good of a prospect pre-draft that fell outside the top 3, let alone 7.
Jagr because no one thought he'd come. If they knew he was coming he goes 1 not 5. I believe I read somewhere that he wanted to go to Penguins so he himself put out there doubt he was coming so he would fall to them.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I played Junior hockey in the early to mid 90's at 5'7 and 145 pounds.. (5'7 and 220 now lol). Size.. most of that first round were size based picks.

I found the amount of sticks constantly tugging me back on the forecheck to be just energy sapping.. . You would be hooked trying to join the rush. faceoffs ? Like trying to either block like a tight end or get around a block if trying to get the puck back.

The game is much better today.

You can't argue with Pronger... Gratton was a decent player but was a size pick. So many busts in that first round.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
He was seen as the most talented player in the draft but his representatives told every team he was going to stay in Europe or that he outright didn't want to play for them. The only team they didn't is Pittsburgh, so the pens drafted him. I'm not sure I'm the specifics but they essentially tried to dissuade any other team from drafting him but it was pretty well known he was likely the best player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
From what I recall, Jagr always saw Lemieux as an idol and only wanted to play for Pittsburgh, thus him and his representatives tricking the 4 other teams above Pitts saying he won't come to NA if they drafted him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
1. Mitskov
2. Heidt
3. Brzustewicz
4. Cagnoni
5. Allen
6. Karpovich
7. Levis

Maybe Mitskov and Heidt has some serious character issues, but Heidt at 62th feels still so wrong. Sixth and seventh round didn't have any real steals but had to pick someone!
the devils board draft expert is also very high on karpovich. nice to read someone else values him. he also mentioned heidt would have been his pick for the devils in the second round.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah, that's another good one. And before my time too, so I can't discuss the exact reasons for him. There might've been some other reasons.

I remember reading about the reasons for Jagr. I think there were some concerns about whether he'd come to NA. Kariya, don't have the same knowledge about why.

I was just starting to follow hockey around then, I think part of it was that NCAA hockey wasn't as good at the time. Kip Miller won the Hobey Baker in 1990 after a 101 point season but had already bounced around a couple of NHL teams by 1993.

That said, Sharks scout Tim Burke (based in the northeast and amazingly still with the team 30 years later) was advocating Kariya for the #2 pick. Others in the room wanted Chris Pronger. Unfortunately co-GM Chuck Grillo was dead set on Viktor Kozlov and got his way.

Grillo would get fired in early 1996 as Kariya was about to pot 50 goals while Kozlov was struggling. That #2 pick might have the most fun butterfly effect outside of the Lindros trade. Quebec badly wanted Pronger and apparently floated an offer of an unsigned Peter Forsberg to San Jose, but the Sharks turned it down due to salary concerns.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
From what I recall, Jagr always saw Lemieux as an idol and only wanted to play for Pittsburgh, thus him and his representatives tricking the 4 other teams above Pitts saying he won't come to NA if they drafted him.
Meh, the top 3 guys who got drafted ahead of Jagr were ridiculously highly touted, not sure he would have been drafted top three. Maybe 4th above Ricci, but the top 3 were crazy good at the time, Nolan and Primeau were absolute Beasts who could score, and Nedved was crazy talented scoring at will in the WHL at 17 years old. I remember that draft well, no way Quebec were not picking Nolan and no way Vancouver was not taking Nedved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad