Steal of the 2023 draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I wasn’t following the NHL back then but I have heard and read several times that he fell because of questions concerning his character.

Edit: Just found this:

Sounds similar to Michkov who apparently really wanted to join the Flyers (for reasons beyond my understanding).
Maybe he just really really likes Torts style of coaching! He'll go from potential franchise sniper to middle 6 grinder in no time :cool:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Two observations on the 2023 draft with more than 1/4 season's data:

3rd Round--folks (me included) were comparing 2023 to 2015 due to the top picks and overall depth of the draft. It looks like 2015's 3rd round has produced 3 regulars (Cirelli, Novak, Kolesar) and several goalies. The most recent draft has enough players producing* well to make it look like 3-5 NHL regulars in the next 8 years is a reasonable projection. All of Lardis, Castagna, Brzustewicz, Pekarcik, Cataford, Ziemmer, Sidorov, Barkey, and Kärki are off to impressive starts. The goalies from round 3--see next--have also out-played their draft status.

Goalies--quite a few of the goalies are off to super starts. All of the 2nd rounders except Bjarnson are playing well. Both 3rd rounders (Fowler and Zavragin) have eye-popping stats so far. Slukynski is my personal favorite from the class and has been the USHL's best goalie--the other 4th rounder who is doing well is Miller, though his numbers aren't impressive he is on a team that struggles mightily.

In addition to the top of the draft, 2023 could be one of the best ever for 3rd rounders and above-average for goalies.

*Almost exclusively stat-watching as there are just too many players to have seen multiple times.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Dvorak dropped due to injury...
Sale dropped due to a stupid club...
Hrabal should be a 1st rounder

When these 3 win the World Jr's in a month this will make more sense.lol

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

That said, Sharks scout Tim Burke (based in the northeast and amazingly still with the team 30 years later) was advocating Kariya for the #2 pick. Others in the room wanted Chris Pronger. Unfortunately co-GM Chuck Grillo was dead set on Viktor Kozlov and got his way.

Grillo would get fired in early 1996 as Kariya was about to pot 50 goals while Kozlov was struggling. That #2 pick might have the most fun butterfly effect outside of the Lindros trade. Quebec badly wanted Pronger and apparently floated an offer of an unsigned Peter Forsberg to San Jose, but the Sharks turned it down due to salary concerns.

This is just so utterly depressing. How do you choose between Pronger, Kariya, and Kozlov and get the wrong one? God help this franchise.

On topic: it was great to see Cagnoni and Musty on folks' lists, but I think history will indeed say the biggest steal was Michkov.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This is just so utterly depressing. How do you choose between Pronger, Kariya, and Kozlov and get the wrong one? God help this franchise.

IKIFEEL.jpg

Yeah I think all of our teams have had a mea culpa pick like that. Maybe upsetting was that somebody higher up on the food chain vetoed Pronger/Kariya and steered them towards Kozlov. In the context of 1993, Russians were the new hotness: Mogilny potted 76 goals, Bure scored 60, Fedorov was a Selke level point per gamer. I could maybe understand if Chuck Grillo talked himself into Kozlov being the next great Russian prospect.

And on the bright side, Dean Lombardi managed to trade Kozlov when he still had value. Kozlov eventually yielded Brad Stuart (and Jonathan Cheechoo) which later led to Joe Thornton.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Kinda funny on draft day many said Cowan was a complete reach and unjustified where he was picked, but since then he looks like a steal at 28th OA. Standout in all development camps, pre-season, was the last cut of training camp and went back to Juniors where he now has 31 points in 19 games.

Looks like he will make team Canada at the world juniors. Won't be surprised if in a few years he is in the top 10 of redrafts.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Kinda funny on draft day many said Cowan was a complete reach and unjustified where he was picked, but since then he looks like a steal at 28th OA. Standout in all development camps, pre-season, was the last cut of training camp and went back to Juniors where he now has 31 points in 19 games.

Looks like he will make team Canada at the world juniors. Won't be surprised if in a few years he is in the top 10 of redrafts.
Yah it's been 4 months since the draft, it is definitely time to say a guy drafted, in one of the deepest drafts in quite some time, taken at 28th would go in a top 10 in a redraft in a few years.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yah it's been 4 months since the draft, it is definitely time to say a guy drafted, in one of the deepest drafts in quite some time, taken at 28th would go in a top 10 in a redraft in a few years.

We're in a thread that was created on July 2nd about draft day steals. Maybe you are in the wrong thread because every player mentioned will have the same sample sizes.

And FYI saying I wouldn't be surprised does not equal a guarentee.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Wasn't Jagr ranked around 5/6 by most scouts, while only a few called him the best player for the 90 draft? If I recall, scouts thought he didn't have the flash sexiness appeal.
Jagr was ranked higher than 5 by almost everyone. The rumor was that he wouldn't sign/report to any team except the penguins as he wanted to play with Lemieux.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Jagr was ranked higher than 5 by almost everyone. The rumor was that he wouldn't sign/report to any team except the penguins as he wanted to play with Lemieux.
Has this ever been confirmed? Rumors in the local NYC newspapers had the Islanders desperately trying to trade up to grab him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad