News Article: Statement from the Ottawa Senators regarding Eugene Melnyk - MOD Warnings-#9 & #143

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I dont begrudge anyone expecting a payout or donating their liver. Melnyk got the publicity to find a donor due to his fame and wealth and its only fair he should pay for it. If I needed a liver transplant I would pay for it if none were available. I'd mortgage the house and do whatever it took to get the word out there.

that's illegal. People would go absolutely nuts.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

It's illegal to sell your organ for cash, but can't blame those who would want some reward in return. I believe donating a part of ones organ should be with the main priority of saving ones life, but when you have a billionaire asking the public for help there will be people who will want something in return.

I can see where people who would do it just to save ones life can be disgusted by the people who would do it for a reward, but if Melnyk wasn't who he is I'm sure there would be less applicants/opportunities available to him.

For me personally, if I was a potential match all I would ask is if he could provide me with financial support until I was able to work again. That's asking for something in return but otherwise I wouldn't be able to provide him with that opportunity.

Last edited:

jediqwerty

May 16, 2015
Guys, the reason why discussing whether or not Eugene caused this illness himself is extremely inappropriate, unnecessary, and is not like a "normal forum discussion", is because this topic serves NO purpose.

The ONLY thing happening when you do that, whether intentionally or not, is it ends up evaluating whether or Melnyk deserves to live, and can ONLY act as a deterrent from people wanting to save his life.

Now, you might be thinking, "Well, that's not how I see it. For me, its a discussion about honesty and rights of the donor."

Although your intentions are pure (sort of, I guess), you're treating the situation as a point of drama, and are failing to empathize with the person. We have NO idea if this has anything to do with him liking to drink. Imagine if someone who knows Eugene personally (or he himself) read something like that.

He could be pronounced terminal as early as next week, and people are just casually discussing like its his own fault. Who does that help? What purpose does it serve other than a form of entertainment for people to discuss, like an episode of Game of Thrones or Lost.

Sometimes there's things that do not NEED to be said, even if it seems like a fun topic to talk about.

I actually really, really, really hate to agree with you but I do.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa

who cares. When your life is on the line, you won't be thinking jeez this isn't going to be regarded very well by my peers. **** that, people travel all over the world for alternative treatments that they can't get at home.

If it's illegal here, go somewhere it isn't. As long as you are not harming anyone else to save yourself, I see no issue with paying to save yourself, be it alternative cancer treatment, stem cell transplant, liver transplant or whatever.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Lets be realistic. If Melnyk gave any monetary reward the government would find some way to take it.

It wouldnt be about Mlenyk in jail or the reward seeking donor. It would be about the government interfering to stop people from getting rewards for this stuff

Its illegal in all but one country in the entire world i believe(someone said that in the main board thread). Not to mention melnyk cant leave the hospital and didnt necessarily expect it to be this bad. From what i understand he's been sick since January but didnt expect to get this ill.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
who cares. When your life is on the line, you won't be thinking jeez this isn't going to be regarded very well by my peers. **** that, people travel all over the world for alternative treatments that they can't get at home.

If it's illegal here, go somewhere it isn't. As long as you are not harming anyone else to save yourself, I see no issue with paying to save yourself, be it alternative cancer treatment, stem cell transplant, liver transplant or whatever.
This is the realest reality.

If I were a billionaire and somebody did that for me I would make sure that person never has a problem financially for the rest of their life. It would be different if he was on a donors list and received the liver through the normal channels but actually having someone step up at the last possible moment like this I don't see any problem with giving back to the donor.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Too much of a slippery slope, especially when organs are suddenly worth a lot of money. It's bad enough already that China makes a point of having many of their convicted felons "disappear" when something like a heart or lungs are needed by a wealthy person in the country. It's not long before runaways, homeless folks, people without families, and the poor start to disappear when money becomes a factor.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Is it safe to say Melnyk is probably going to be fine? He has 12 possible candidates after all.

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
Is it safe to say Melnyk is probably going to be fine? He has 12 possible candidates after all.

Nowhere out of the woods, this is still the beginning. There's always a chance of organ rejection, of stroke or heart attack during surgery, of his body not being strong enough for surgery, of the donor having a last-second change of heart, etc, etc.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Nowhere out of the woods, this is still the beginning. There's always a chance of organ rejection, of stroke or heart attack during surgery, of his body not being strong enough for surgery, of the donor having a last-second change of heart, etc, etc.

Not to mention that the screening process takes days, and that hospital is extremely particular in fining a match (as they should be given their 100% success rate).

Things like liver size and even where the veins line up are very important.

You might be off the hook after all ;)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Not to mention that the screening process takes days, and that hospital is extremely particular in fining a match (as they should be given their 100% success rate).

Meh I don't care if Im on the hook, I only say here what ill say in real life, thats me. Live With it. :)

But given the hospitals success rate, and finding those 12 out of 500, the only chance something goes wrong is the small chance something ****s up during the surgery (which has never happened at this hospital). Also wouldn't having a change in heart be illegal? Since you essentially eliminate the 11 other candidates, and cancel right before the procedure, its almost identical to killing him in a way.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Well, they did say surgery would likely start "within a week", which is why I said it was encouraging news.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fact that Melnyk has been hospitalized for the last three weeks is a red flag. He is clearly very ill, whereas many transplant candidates are able to be at home while awaiting their transplant.

Liver transplants have a high success rate, but it is still not quite like ordering a pizza. He will be in hospital for about three weeks post surgery, and it will be six months to a year before he returns to anything resembling a "normal" life or routine. (For instance, they have to be incredibly vigilant about the risk of infection for some time afterwards.) He will be on anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his life, and those have their own side effects. Anyone who thinks he will be hopping on the FAN 590 a few days afterwards is going to be disappointed...

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
This whole situation could be avoided if we had more sensible organ donation policies. An opt-out system instead of opt-in would basically eliminate shortages all together.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
They throw in a freebie? sorry

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
This whole situation could be avoided if we had more sensible organ donation policies. An opt-out system instead of opt-in would basically eliminate shortages all together.

Because of his rare blood type, it has to match his blood type for a cadaver donation. A live donation he can receive from any blood type.

SenatorArmy*

TORONTO - Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk is thanking the public for their support in what he calls the "biggest battle" of his life — his urgent public appeal for a liver transplant.
Melnyk, 55, who has been battling health issues for months, was admitted to hospital three weeks ago due to the onset of liver-related complications. His condition is considered critical.
Melnyk released a statement on Monday saying his health became more critical during the past few weeks and that his friends and family convinced him to go public after numerous potential live liver donors were not a match.
More than 500 people have offered to donate part of their liver to Melnyk, and one of his doctors said Saturday that he could undergo surgery by the end of the week.
The Senators announced on Saturday that more than 12 candidates had been identified and selected to go through the donor screening process. The candidates are all at different stages of that process.
A living donor transplant is Melnyk's best option because he has rare AB blood; a live donor doesn't need to have a matching blood type, whereas an organ from a deceased donor must be a perfect match.
"I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from the public and the media. It is truly heartwarming to feel loved by so many people," Melnyk said in the statement, in which he also thanked medical staff at the University Health Network and Toronto General Hospital.
"Words cannot even begin to express how thankful my family and I are for your expressions of support, your prayers, and your unconditional desire to help me in the biggest battle of my life."
Melnyk also stressed the importance of organ donation and the Senators said Saturday that his health was stable and that he is in good spirits.
"You have lifted my spirits, and in the process have given me all the strength I need at this difficult time," Melnyk said. "Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

http://www.tsn.ca/senators-owner-melnyk-thanks-public-1.285857

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad