Value of: Starting Goaltender to EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Somehow the Oilers have to improve their goaltending. Moving Campbell's contract might be harder than anything else Holland or a new GM might have to face. However that is a first requirement for the Oilers to get another goalie.

How much to get a goaltender like Hellbuyck out of Winnipeg?
Swayman out of Boston?
Gustavsson out of Minnesota?

Tough asks and even if goaltenders don't get as much in return as they should in the modern NHL, these guys would be costly.
Campbell could go to... Arizona? They took Zack Kassian who's AAV was less ($3.2 Million) and had a fewer years left (2) on his contract for the 29th OA, a 2nd round pick in 2023 and a 3rd in 2025. The Oilers received the last 1st round pick in that draft, 32 OA.

So perhaps a similar multi pick trade but with nothing coming back to the Oilers. Maybe that gets it done. Maybe.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The cost to move Campbell's contract will be astronomical.

That's before trying to acquire another goalie in a super competitive market.

Oilers are better off spending assets to improve other parts of the roster, like they did with ekholm. And just pray that one of the two current goalies can step up

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

Oilers are better off spending assets to improve other parts of the roster, like they did with ekholm. And just pray that one of the two current goalies can step up

I would also think that a goalie issue would be something to visit at the trade deadline next year. Skinner is a rookie and played like one. We should see what he is like after some experience.

Oh and get Campbell ALL the sports psychologists.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Not sure what the team will do since they don't have a GM yet, but it is sounding like the Pens will try to find a different starter than Jarry for next season. I would rather try to sign Jarry to a 1 year prove it and use him in a 1a/1b situation with another goalie. However it is looking like he might make free agency one way or another.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not sure what the team will do since they don't have a GM yet, but it is sounding like the Pens will try to find a different starter than Jarry for next season. I would rather try to sign Jarry to a 1 year prove it and use him in a 1a/1b situation with another goalie. However it is looking like he might make free agency one way or another.

If Chiarelli becomes the Pens GM I absolutely try and grift him in a Campbell trade. Ohhhhh man.

This isn't a winning strategy.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Holland will give Campbell the opportunity to rebound and play better before he considers trading him. I also think that Skinner's development is key to the Oilers success - as is getting another shutdown defenseman, and the entire team learning to hit the next level when it comes to effort. The goaltending isn't the only reason the Oilers lost - its a symptom of bigger problems with the defensive structure, not to mention their inability to show up for a complete game.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Somehow the Oilers have to improve their goaltending. Moving Campbell's contract might be harder than anything else Holland or a new GM might have to face. However that is a first requirement for the Oilers to get another goalie.

How much to get a goaltender like Hellbuyck out of Winnipeg?
Swayman out of Boston?
Gustavsson out of Minnesota?

Tough asks and even if goaltenders don't get as much in return as they should in the modern NHL, these guys would be costly.
Campbell could go to... Arizona? They took Zack Kassian who's AAV was less ($3.2 Million) and had a fewer years left (2) on his contract for the 29th OA, a 2nd round pick in 2023 and a 3rd in 2025. The Oilers received the last 1st round pick in that draft, 32 OA.

So perhaps a similar multi pick trade but with nothing coming back to the Oilers. Maybe that gets it done. Maybe.
Maybe you should check how many goalie struggle in the first year after signing with a new team.

Reactions: nturn06

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Fair.

There is no chance the Oilers can afford to retain 50% on Campbell, and RNH has a full NMC. So forget about him.

Broberg and/or a 1st should be in play in any trades moving forward.

Oilers would have to retain something on Campbell, either that or they take a bad contract back.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Ducks could offer Gibson for Campbell (and I'd understand if you'd pass, but I'm not sure what better option you have), but what could you offer to make it worth it to the ducks.

They would be looking to add someone to their core as they have enough prospects a 2 way top 4 gritty defenseman or 2 way right wing/right handed that that could play in the top 6.

For example

Campbell + Yamamoto 4 Gibson?

I don't see anyone else that makes sense... and even Yamamoto may not be enticing enough.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Ducks could offer Gibson for Campbell (and I'd understand if you'd pass, but I'm not sure what better option you have), but what could you offer to make it worth it to the ducks.

They would be looking to add someone to their core as they have enough prospects a 2 way top 4 gritty defenseman or 2 way right wing/right handed that that could play in the top 6.

For example

Campbell + Yamamoto 4 Gibson?

I don't see anyone else that makes sense... and even Yamamoto may not be enticing enough.

Campbell and Yamo? lol. Try more like Campbell and McLeod and Broberg.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
Stop. Oilers goaltending will be fine, they are in no rush to change it. If someone actually wanted Campbell then they would deal him, bit they won't be adding major assets to move him. They're going to give Campbell a shot at rebounding next year and have Campbell/Skinner split

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Stop. Oilers goaltending will be fine, they are in no rush to change it. If someone actually wanted Campbell then they would deal him, bit they won't be adding major assets to move him. They're going to give Campbell a shot at rebounding next year and have Campbell/Skinner split
But they are in a huge rush to improve and futures prospects/picks don’t mean anything unless you can convince mcdavid to stay by showing you are doing everything to be a contender. Otherwise, in 2 years he can just walk. Just like Matthews might, just like any star on a team not contending. All Jets stars are jumping ship.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Skinner actually played well for the most part in the games the Oilers played reasonable defense. That just didn't happen enough. I don't think goaltending was the reason they lost. The reason they lost is every time they got a lead they gave up a horrible sequence of scoring chances for the other team and blew every lead they had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad