Start Your Franchise Draft I

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I really wanted to see the Rockies draft a particular player just because it would be fun but I can't argue with Lindor as a building block.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
If the goal is to simply rank the best overall players to start a franchise with, should we be taking so much into account the state of each particular franchise? That would seem to skew the list mostly based on a random draft order of franchises. If the goal is to definitively put yourself in the ownership shoes of a specific franchise then I stand corrected.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If the goal is to simply rank the best overall players to start a franchise with, should we be taking so much into account the state of each particular franchise? That would seem to skew the list mostly based on a random draft order of franchises. If the goal is to definitively put yourself in the ownership shoes of a specific franchise then I stand corrected.

I think it's a little bit of both to be honest. Some franchises have different limitations and ownership philosophy so not every player and their contract is a viable option. However, there are a couple no brainers like Trout and Harper that every franchise would pay no matter what because they are just THAT good and that young.

So, I don't know if that answered anything but that's the way I see it.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Yeah I was thinking same but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a straight top 100 list regardless of team or like an amateur draft where signabiity if you will, makes a big impact. Where teams pick and their market is dictating the list at times.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Texas Rangers will take, with the 13th pick, shortstop Corey Seager.

092315_lad_seager_hr_med_a5nviivz.gif

#1 prospect in baseball? Check. Instant impact on call-up? Check. Long-term control? Well, he's not FA eligible until 2022.

While his call-up last year is obviously a bit inflated currently I don't see that being beyond his ceiling given his minor league track record. Also I love his swing even if it's from the wrong side. His offensive upside is huge and he plays at a premium position.

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
The Texas Rangers will take, with the 13th pick, shortstop Corey Seager.

092315_lad_seager_hr_med_a5nviivz.gif

#1 prospect in baseball? Check. Instant impact on call-up? Check. Long-term control? Well, he's not FA eligible until 2022.

While his call-up last year is obviously a bit inflated currently I don't see that being beyond his ceiling given his minor league track record. Also I love his swing even if it's from the wrong side. His offensive upside is huge and he plays at a premium position.

I needed one more pick

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
Went down to two players, felt the other was too much of a reach, can't go wrong with a semi young, Cy Young Winner

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Detroit Tigers select, 3B, #20, Josh Donaldson.

tumblr_nthjbhpS9g1r37slco1_400.gif

Contract extension in 2018? Not a problem considering the gun show will be sold out every day of the season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Finally Donaldson gets picked. I thought maybe he died or something. Was deciding between Arenado and Donaldson at pick #8 but went with Arenado because of his age.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Finally Donaldson gets picked. I thought maybe he died or something. Was deciding between Arenado and Donaldson at pick #8 but went with Arenado because of his age.

Age and years of control have to be considered two of the most important things when picking a franchise player though. Obviously skill and ability have to be there as well but all things equal I think you have to go with the young, cost controlled option. Remember you're just selecting a core of 4 people. Theoretically your organization would have budget to fill out the rest of the roster. The less you spend on core, the more you could spend on the rest. Obviously it's a balance and maybe I'm going too deep into it but if we're treating it like real franchises then I think it makes sense.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Age and years of control have to be considered two of the most important things when picking a franchise player though. Obviously skill and ability have to be there as well but all things equal I think you have to go with the young, cost controlled option. Remember you're just selecting a core of 4 people. Theoretically your organization would have budget to fill out the rest of the roster. The less you spend on core, the more you could spend on the rest. Obviously it's a balance and maybe I'm going too deep into it but if we're treating it like real franchises then I think it makes sense.

I realize that but Donaldson is only 30. Production wise he's better than any other 3B in the game. Contract wise, $11.6 mill this year and $17 mill in 2017 while still being under team control in 2018. Arenado on the other hand has 1 extra year of eligibility but he is going to get pricey this offseason. Arenado and his agent will use Donaldson's contract as a starting point.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I realize that but Donaldson is only 30. Production wise he's better than any other 3B in the game. Contract wise, $11.6 mill this year and $17 mill in 2017 while still being under team control in 2018. Arenado on the other hand has 1 extra year of eligibility but he is going to get pricey this offseason. Arenado and his agent will use Donaldson's contract as a starting point.

We could easily be talking about Arenado surpassing him in that timeframe though. Donaldson has stiff competition with Machado and Arenado.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We could easily be talking about Arenado surpassing him in that timeframe though. Donaldson has stiff competition with Machado and Arenado.

We could. To start your franchise I'd take Machado/Arenado/Bryant before Donaldson but the point I'm making is that he should be right after those guys. If I had pick #9 or #10 I easily grab Donaldson.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
We could. To start your franchise I'd take Machado/Arenado/Bryant before Donaldson but the point I'm making is that he should be right after those guys. If I had pick #9 or #10 I easily grab Donaldson.

I don't disagree. The franchise aspect does make it a little murkier.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I like Donaldson a lot but I like Seager's upside and that he's under control for an extra 3 years (and is much cheaper). Aside from larger sample size from last year Seager and Correa have always been pretty much neck and neck coming up so I still like Seager more, but Donaldson is up there with a few other guys I was considering at the position.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Darko, I don't disagree either. There's nothing wrong with selecting JD at all. The guy is a beast but you also have to think compared to a guy like Arenado who is 5 years younger, yes, Arenado will start getting pricey soon but those are for what we are assuming to be peak years. When JD is up for his big contract in a few years, he is likely on the other side of his peak. So when you factor in team control and the years that you are paying for its easy to see why the high end players with youth on their side are so valued. Again, JD is a great pick but as MB suggested there are other factors in play that make the decisions here a bit more difficult.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Darko, I don't disagree either. There's nothing wrong with selecting JD at all. The guy is a beast but you also have to think compared to a guy like Arenado who is 5 years younger, yes, Arenado will start getting pricey soon but those are for what we are assuming to be peak years. When JD is up for his big contract in a few years, he is likely on the other side of his peak. So when you factor in team control and the years that you are paying for its easy to see why the high end players with youth on their side are so valued. Again, JD is a great pick but as MB suggested there are other factors in play that make the decisions here a bit more difficult.

When you take a guy like Donaldson, then it sets the tone for the rest of your draft. All the high immediate return, young guys are going to be gone by the time that pick rolls around again.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was thinking about getting a certain pitcher with the 15th pick but I noticed the way this was leaning that Donaldson was going to fall into my range. I would have been doing myself a disservice not picking him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad