Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
nerds
giphy.webp

giphy.webp

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We mostly agree, but to address a couple of your points:
How powerful Osha is in the Force wasn't my point. It was that her ability to Force choke came out of nowhere, despite not training or practicing in the last 5 years.

Mae gave up on revenge, wanted Sol to apologize and turn himself in and even consented to having memories of her bitterness and crimes erased. I think that that constitutes turning good, since good people choose justice over revenge and, without her memories, she has no more reason to bad.
Point 1: we're well past training being a necessity at this point, but I've made this point before, no one trained Luke to focus his death star strike or pull his lightsaber with the force. Obi Wan's ghost telling him to use the force doesn't count as training. I mean I understand your grievance but I think it's just kind of one of those things that needs to be accepted for suspension of disbelief. Disney's take on the force is very powerful users can accomplish great feats without training in the right circumstances. I mean, Lucas also gave us Anakin having supernatural reflexes as a child before anyone with knowledge knew he was force adept. I think the idea is training is still needed but in limited circumstances the force can flow through someone powerful enough and have them accomplish things they didn't even know they could do. It's cheap but I don't think it's a huge issue. It is essentially space magic based on spirituality at the end of the day.

2. I mean that's just degrees of "good". She's still a murderer and was still more than her fine with her sister taking her place to be trained by an evil killer. So I don't know how much I can get behind her being "good" now. Her changing her murderous/vengeful motivations out of nowhere, I can agree with but I don't think that's necessarily becoming good. More like less of a villain. If anything. But I guess it's semantics.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I stopped watching after episode 2 and decided to wait till the end if I should pick it up again. From what I've been reading, this show is absolute pass. Sounds pretty stupid overall.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
So they really tried to make Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker look better with this horror show o_O

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Where do I begin?
The idea that you bleed into the crystal isn’t a new concept considering we see it happen in the Jedi Survivor game where Dagan Gera after being freed from his bacta tank takes his lightsaber, dismantles it, and physically bleeds his crystal with his sheer anger and rage. The thing with Osha bleeding her crystal is that… she bleeds it through the lightsaber? Why wasn’t Anakin able to do that when he literally killed 100s of Jedi’s and separatists, force chokes the love of his life whom he turned to the dark side for, and then fights his former master? It makes no sense and no matter how hard they tried, as a viewer, I felt nothing, I wasn’t emotionally drawn.

I also absolutely f***ing hate how they make it seem like the Jedi is some sort of evil corrupt “organization”. Like wtf? The Jedi are supposed to be GOOD. They glorify the dark side and make it look like it’s some walk in the park freeing experience where suddenly morality is thrown out the window and the person becomes immune to negative consequences within 5 minutes. They’ve completely destroyed the entire premise of light vs evil, cause and effect aspect, the gradual change of personality and influence that the force has as well as specific events and circumstances that alters a characters emotional development and state over the course of time by suggesting Osha, who is essentially 6 years removed from the last time she trained and was a bottom tier padawan with seemingly little connection to the force at this point is able to force choke a JEDI MASTER. A Jedi Master that she was pupil under, had saved her from Brendok fire, acted as her mentor, begged the council to train so she could fulfil her dream of becoming a Jedi. And the fact that a seasoned Jedi Master wasn’t able to break free from the force choke considering the power difference, what an absolutely pathetic sequence and a waste to Master Sol’s character.

Learning the death of your mother was at the hands of your Master is definitely a disheartening experience, but you would think Osha would have at the VERY LEAST the common courtesy of hearing him out for just 5 goddamn minutes and NOT just riding off to the sunset with the man that kidnapped and MURDERED your innocent Jedi and friends and threatened to kill your sister for abandoning him. Like what? She doesn’t even get to learn Mae’s side of the story before they agree to wipe her memory…. How does that even make sense when the entire thing was revolves around Mae being the evil twin who tried to take everything away from her? I didn’t buy it at all. And suddenly, because she’s angry she abandons all her morals.. the same morals that wanted Mae to go to trial for her crimes in the first place, now all of the sudden when given the option to turn Sol over by f***ing Mae herself… to the republic to face his crimes and confess which would ultimately FREE Mae, (in which Sol would’ve gladly done anyway), she seemingly does the most complicated, backwards, complete opposite and stupid option of killing Sol, agree to have Mae’s memory wiped, and to run off with the Jedi killing, friend murdering man she has no obligation to.

And then they bring Yoda at the end. My f***ing goodness. You expect me to believe Master Venestra is going to be able to manipulate and lie to Yoda about what happened and that Yoda somehow gets tricked into believing her? Yoda, who sensed Anakin slaughtering the Tuskans in his rage and Order 66, somehow won’t be able to sense whatever happened on Brendok? I mean what is the other alternative? That Yoda, who embodies everything light and Jedi, is going to go along with this lie that Venestra concocted to the senate and republic to keep shit under wraps?

What a terrible show. 0/10. No redeeming qualities at all. I hate Disney, I hate the producers of this show. f*** this shit.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Point 1: we're well past training being a necessity at this point, but I've made this point before, no one trained Luke to focus his death star strike or pull his lightsaber with the force. Obi Wan's ghost telling him to use the force doesn't count as training. I mean I understand your grievance but I think it's just kind of one of those things that needs to be accepted for suspension of disbelief. Disney's take on the force is very powerful users can accomplish great feats without training in the right circumstances. I mean, Lucas also gave us Anakin having supernatural reflexes as a child before anyone with knowledge knew he was force adept. I think the idea is training is still needed but in limited circumstances the force can flow through someone powerful enough and have them accomplish things they didn't even know they could do. It's cheap but I don't think it's a huge issue. It is essentially space magic based on spirituality at the end of the day.

2. I mean that's just degrees of "good". She's still a murderer and was still more than her fine with her sister taking her place to be trained by an evil killer. So I don't know how much I can get behind her being "good" now. Her changing her murderous/vengeful motivations out of nowhere, I can agree with but I don't think that's necessarily becoming good. More like less of a villain. If anything. But I guess it's semantics.
No, my point was that I consider Force choke to be a more advanced ability that requires recent training or practice. I don't have an issue with Luke sensing the training droid or hitting the exhaust port after only one lesson because those are beginner skills and it took him 3+ years to learn more advanced ones (like Force pull and Force choke). I do have an issue with characters being able to do advanced tricks out of nowhere because they're just that strong in the Force. Making each new character stronger in the Force than previous characters in order to explain why they need less training and practice is an awful, lazy direction that ruins characters and the mystique of the Force, IMO.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that the best Disney Star Wars projects (Rogue One, The Mandalorian and Andor) have very little to no Force use in them. When Disney involves the Force, they abuse it, make it common and easy to master, make the story all about it and use it as a convenient device to progress the plot and solve any situation for the writers. It contributes to lazy storytelling and boring characters, and it's no surprise to me that we really see that on display in a show in which every single character (except maybe Bazil) is a Force user. It may be the new standard for this franchise, but it's not one that I choose to accept.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No, my point was that I consider Force choking to be a more advanced ability that requires recent training and practice. I don't have an issue with Luke sensing the training droid or hitting the exhaust port because those are beginner tricks and it took him 3-4 years to learn more advanced tricks (like Force choking). I do have an issue with characters being able to do advanced tricks out of nowhere. Making each new character stronger in the Force than previous characters in order to explain why they need less training and practice is an awful, lazy direction that ruins characters and the mystique of the Force.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that the best Disney Star Wars projects (Rogue One, The Mandalorian and Andor) have very little to no Force use in them. When Disney involves the Force, they abuse it and make it easy to master, everyone uses it (except when they forget that they can) and it's able to solve any situation that arises, like a deus ex machina. It contributes to lazy storytelling and boring characters, and it's no surprise to me that the best example of that is the project in which every single character (except maybe Bazil) is a Force user. Disney seemingly can't incorporate the Force without abusing it, and the fact that they've lowered the standards for it and Star Wars doesn't mean that I'm willing to lower mine to match and just accept it.
I guess for me I'm not so much accepting of it as not as bothered by it but I'm not trying to discount your opinion either.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Overall very disappointed in how the Jedi were portrayed in this show, for virtually no pay off.
Yeah, I gave the show the benefit of the doubt that, in the end, it wouldn't be as bad in that respect as I feared and it was. The finale really doubled down on the Jedi criticism and humiliation and I think that it's particularly disgraceful how the co-main character, Sol, was treated. This show was clearly made without respect for the franchise or the fans and just to entertain its creator's views and fantasies rather than the fans.

Reactions: Rob and Huffer

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Overall this show was such a mess with essentially all characters being extremely unlikeable and the flip flopping of character intentions was just dumb. Made the Jedi look like mall cops of the world.

The Yoda cameo at the end was silly and unnecessary. You’re telling me Yoda was unaware of this whole ordeal? Definitely makes lots of sense

Reactions: King 88

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
IMO this was more of Disney's social agenda..Law enforcement is corrupt and evil
Well if that's the case, they inadvertently sent an anti-DEI message. That was the most diverse group of incompetent and corrupt space cops I've ever seen.

Reactions: Sad People

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
There basically was though.
Senator Rayencourt was arguably the most compelling character in the finale and he was in it for like 30 seconds lol

I'm assuming that angle is supposed to lay the groundwork for the Jedi becoming even more pawns of the Senate/Republic by the time of the prequels. Which is interesting, but like the other interesting things the show set up, I don't trust the people who made this season to pull it off.

Reactions: HanSolo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I am surprised there wasn't a defund the Jedi storyline
The finale does end with that one Senator calling for a review of the Jedi to begin immediately, so maybe Headland is saving their defunding for Season 2, which hopefully never happens.
Well if that's the case, they inadvertently sent an anti-DEI message. That was the most diverse group of incompetent and corrupt space cops I've ever seen.
The show also inadvertently reinforced the stereotype that black children without fathers grow up to become criminals, which doesn't do the black or lesbian communities any favors.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I thought the finale was pretty good, right up until the resolution of the Mae/Osha/Qimir thing. That made absolutely no sense at all. The other thing I didn't really like was Bazil, but that was true for the whole thing. One of the more annoying characters in Star Wars.

They did the same thing with the final scene in a bunch of episodes. They took what really should've been a mid- or end-credits scene and just tacked it onto the end of the episode before the credits rolled. I found that jarring.

I enjoyed just about everything else in there.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I thought the finale was pretty good, right up until the resolution of the Mae/Osha/Qimir thing. That made absolutely no sense at all. The other thing I didn't really like was Bazil, but that was true for the whole thing. One of the more annoying characters in Star Wars.

They did the same thing with the final scene in a bunch of episodes. They took what really should've been a mid- or end-credits scene and just tacked it onto the end of the episode before the credits rolled. I found that jarring.

I enjoyed just about everything else in there.

Yeah, the wiping memory stuff was not explained properly, I think Qimir wanted to kill Mae for failing him, and that Osha made a deal to save her, but he's so not hostile at this point that it didn't feel necessary. Other than some rushed things, I also thought this series was mostly fun - certainly not the bottom of the barrel stuff everybody's ranting about (compared to the other SW series).

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Lightsaber fights were awesome though

Manny was probably the only good actor in this show

Black girl had the same facial expression throughout the whole show, even though she played 2 characters

Squid games guy looked like he wanted to take a shit, but his bad acting might be due to the fact that he has recently learned english so he gets the benefit of the doubt

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I stopped watching after episode 2 and decided to wait till the end if I should pick it up again. From what I've been reading, this show is absolute pass. Sounds pretty stupid overall.
Do yourself a favor and don't start it up again

Lightsaber fights were awesome though

Manny was probably the only good actor in this show

Black girl had the same facial expression throughout the whole show, even though she played 2 characters

Squid games guy looked like he wanted to take a shit, but his bad acting might be due to the fact that he has recently learned english so he gets the benefit of the doubt
I agree with the bolded

My only reply to the italicized part is

1721423606097.png

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Also memory wipe?

wtf. Why not just memory wipe someone while in battle. They can forget about dueling… mid duel! Force Alzheimer’s! U don’t even have to kill them after because they’ve got a memory of a child! I mean seemed to wipe Mae’s memory as easy as waving a flag. Shit why not just memory wipe the entire Jedi order! Problem solved, Jedi don’t know they a Jedi no mo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad