Online Series: Star Wars Andor on D+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I remember reading somewhere that the MCU basically takes existing genres and puts them in a world with superheroes, like how Captain America Winter Soldier was a spy/espionage movie and Spiderman Homecoming was a John Hughes type high school movie.

I hope they use this format more with the Star Wars shows or movies. I can already see that Andor is like a Homeland type show and the Mandalorian is basically a western.

And decreasing the role of Jedis in these shows mean that they will need to have proper storytelling rather than relying on giant lasers and lightsaber duels.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Just imagine this garbage in Andor:
book-of-boba-fett-biker-gang-550x275.jpeg

Can't believe they are in the same universe...

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The Stars Wars galaxy contains trillions, if not quadrillions, of advanced, intelligent beings. Every conceivable sub-culture exists somewhere.

One show I'd love to see is one that looks at all the infighting after Return of the Jedi. I'm not sure what the established canon is of that time period, but I feel a show that looks at the struggle of the Rebel Alliance to remain united following the defeat of the Emperor, and the rivalries between the remaining Imperial high command would be great. On the rebel side, you'd have some systems that want to go back to being independent, while others want to maintain the unity of the Republic. Meanwhile, some Imperial commanders would want to keep fighting, others try to carve out their own mini-empires, and some go off to join the resurrected Emperor and eventually coalesce into the First Order.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Just imagine this garbage in Andor:
book-of-boba-fett-biker-gang-550x275.jpeg

Can't believe they are in the same universe...
It's far from the worst thing ever in a SW film. I have bigger gripes with various things in ROTJ, the Prequels, CW, et cetera. I get what they were trying to do, but I think it didn't get executed very well.

Reactions: Jussi

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
The Stars Wars galaxy contains trillions, if not quadrillions, of advanced, intelligent beings. Every conceivable sub-culture exists somewhere.
speaking of which, did they ever explain why the prison that Andor was sent to only had humans? I figured they would at least have a token member of a few other species.

actually, there do seem to be less aliens in Andor than in other SW shows…

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
speaking of which, did they ever explain why the prison that Andor was sent to only had humans? I figured they would at least have a token member of a few other species.

It's never explicitly explained, but it is implicitly. Back at Space Miami-they were dividing up the prisoners sentenced that day to go to different prison ships. When Andor's ship arrived at Narkina 5, they mentioned they had been indentified as suitable for labor. Narkina 5 also uses the whole electric floor thing to maintain control. Presumably they want to guarantee the electric floor works, and thus use humans for that specific-type of prison structure (as opposed to differing alien physiologies which may not be as impacted). The alien prisoners were either sent to different types of labor camps (perhaps with more armed guards), deemed not suitable for labor and sent to a more "traditional" prison (like we saw Jyn Erso and an alien sharing a cell in Rogue One), or perhaps were executed altogether.

The aliens (and droids) in Andor are definitely more of background pieces than other Star Wars content, for sure. I don't think we've had a speaking part for an alien since the first three-episode arc back on Ferrix. There have been some in the background of Mon Mothma's parties or in crowds on Ferrix since then, but that's about it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Also, I imagine that mixing alien species wouldn't be good for production or management efficiency. When they're the same species, the prisoners are interchangeable and more likely to work together and not slow each other down. They also need only one formulation of food tailored for them (imagine the headache of dozens of different food formulas needing to be made and then sent to the appropriate cells) and are less likely to start fights (same reason for segregating prisoners based on race in real prisons). Of course, there's a downside to all of this--they can communicate, organize and try to escape--which the Imperials are liable to discover next episode.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I heard somewhere that part of the human centric nature of the show is that Gilroy doesn't want a bunch of aliens and droids distracting from the characters and performances we're supposed to care about. Not sure I necessarily agree with that logic, but I'm enjoying this show so much that I'm fine with it. I don't need a cantina scene in everything. And we've had B2, a mouse droid, and a KX droid so there's enough there to ground it in Star Wars for me.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Oh the Aliens are contributing in their own ways.

As a flavorless paste.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I love Andor but I'm not sure a Voltron of Favreau/Filoni/Gilroy would work. I think part of why this show works is that Gilroy really doesn't care about the rest of Star Wars. He cares about this little Rogue One universe and is focused on that. He's not trying to bring big name characters in the way Filoni does. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Filoni fan, but he does have a tendency to make the universe smaller (like the master he learned from).

There's enough room in Star Wars for both the more family friendly Mandoverse shows and the more adult oriented shows like Andor. I think it might be best to let Favreau/Filoni do their thing and let Gilroy do his thing.
Only hardcore Voltron fans will understand this reference.

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
It's far from the worst thing ever in a SW film. I have bigger gripes with various things in ROTJ, the Prequels, CW, et cetera. I get what they were trying to do, but I think it didn't get executed very well.
It's easily the worst thing on D+ though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A couple twists in this episode I genuinely did not see coming. Perhaps they were showing us all the dysfunction in Mon Mothma's family, her strife with her arranged marriage and her daughter's rebellious attitude, for a different reason than we all suspected. And who would have guessed a character with basically only a few speaking lines would turn out to be someone important.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Still want to see when the electric floor gets activated that everyone's hair stands up on end.

I can imagine they stopped using the electric floor in the prison's for Wookies. I mean you'd light their fur on fire man.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
The show continues to impress me each week. The writing for this episode was amazing, The acting was superb, even with Luna being a weak lead the rest of the cast is amazing. They surrounded him with good people behind and in front of the screen.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad