Online Series: Star Wars Andor on D+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This show is truly special. I never aspired to hope that Andor could be this good cause I never thought Star Wars could be. Not since Empire. The performances from Skarsgard and Serkis, I don't think it's a stretch to say they're the best performances in any Star Wars project. Fantastic episode. Will miss the season when it's over.

I really hope future Star Wars works can be in this range of quality.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That episode made me feel like I can take on the whole Empire myself.
Easy there Dack.

I honestly had the least interest in this show of all the shows we've known were coming, and now I think it may be my favorite Star Wars outside of the OT. TCW at it's best and Mandalorian might still have an edge over it for me, but it's really close.

Reactions: HanSolo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I liked how their clever and coordinated escape plan also included "throw wrenches at the armed catwalk guards while they pick us off like fish in a barrel." Maybe that stage of the escape could've used a bit more thought. :laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I liked how their clever and coordinated escape plan also included "throw wrenches at the armed catwalk guards while they pick us off like fish in a barrel." Maybe that stage of the escape could've used a bit more thought. :laugh:
In fairness the only edit I can think of is flip the tables over to make barricades but past that the wrenches were all they really had to at least distract the guards. Also flipping the tables might have wasted time and exposed them just as much with the need to move heavy equipment off of there.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just can't stop thinking about the show since I watched One Way Out last night. Like, I think this show really succeeds where other Disney projects have faltered in showing how domineering, oppressive, and yet arrogant the Empire was. In something like A New Hope they can achieve that effect simply through the presence of stormtroopers, dialogue from characters, and the imposing threat presented by Star Destroyers, the Death Star and Darth Vader. But in all pre-OT shows and movies, including Rogue One, this fist of the Empire is really shown at a similar surface level. You have some smatterings of the Empire pushing people around, executing them, and characters talking about how bad things are but you can only get away with that for so long. We've already had the basics established by A New Hope and in the filmmaking time since then we've all exposed to visceral and impactful depictions of hardship and oppression through TV and movies or another. The suffering of the galaxy deserved a more real look and this show has been delivering that so well. This is the first time a Star Wars project feels like it adds scope and emotional context to the struggle from Rogue One to Return of the Jedi. That alone makes this show a triumph in the Star Wars canon to me.

I also can't stop thinking about the prison break arc in a wider sense. From a personal perspective, both my parents lived in Romania under totalitarian rule. My mom managed to leave the country with her family under the pretext that my grandfather would get improved medical training in the states and come back. My dad was forced to stay and was in the capital during the Romanian revolution. So the point of this is how quickly rebellion can spark and spread under the right conditions. Which is encapsulated by this arc perfectly. The inmates have been intimidated into compliance and strict obedience so that there's no thought that escape is possible. All it took was one inmate leaking that the prison executed an entire floor of inmates and it sparked a total revolt and escape. Just reminded me of what I learned about the beginning of the Romanian revolution. The people were oppressed for well over a decade and the trigger of the revolution was relatively miniscule. The Romanian secret police were trying to evict a well loved Timisoara priest from his church, and a mob formed to protest his eviction. From there the crowd grew enflamed and it snowballed into a nationwide revolt through word of mouth (since the government was restricting communications at the time) the whole thing lasted a little over a week and ended with the execution of the dictator and a change in government. I think all the set up and all the displays of the prison control were so effective at laying the tinder down for the fire that would start when Kino and Andor learned they were never being released. I know the personal diatribe was unnecessary but it's all I can think about after watching the episode. How quickly a revolution can start in the most dire of circumstances. Helped the episode resonate with me that much more even though my only personal experience was watching my parents' tears as they watched a documentary about the Romanian Revolution.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
In fairness the only edit I can think of is flip the tables over to make barricades but past that the wrenches were all they really had to at least distract the guards. Also flipping the tables might have wasted time and exposed them just as much with the need to move heavy equipment off of there.
I think they were anchored to the floor.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Episode 10 IMDB score is currently 9.6. after 4600 reviews.
Looking at the top 5....

I am of the opinion that Breaking Bad is VASTLY over rated. Ozymandias is good, but is not GOAT, or even top 10 of all-time eps.

AoT is peak fiction. Hero & Perfect Game are GOAT. The two can both go 1 and 2 in either order.

Victory and Death, and Shattered are great, but they are from top 5 of all TV.

One Way Out is f***ing amazing. Hands down the best SW since Emp. It might be so good as to land in the top 5 for me.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, their options were limited. I'm just wondering what else besides the access panel and water line that they knew about and had access to that might've helped. Maybe there was nothing. Regardless, I still find it a little funny that their plan involved taking advantage of electrical conductivity and throwing objects at people like apes, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised when Andy Serkis is the ringleader. :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, their options were limited. I'm just wondering what else besides the access panel and water line that they knew about and had access to that might've helped. Maybe there was nothing. Regardless, I still find it a little funny that their plan involved taking advantage of electrical conductivity and throwing objects at people like apes, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised when Andy Serkis is the ringleader. :laugh:
It did have very stong Caesar vibes. I was almost expecting some variation of "apes together strong" in his speech. Although he sounded more like Snoke over the PA system.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It did have very stong Caesar vibes. I was almost expecting some variation of "apes together strong" in his speech. Although he sounded more like Snoke over the PA system.
I especially got Caesar vibes when he yelled "Attack!" and aggressively ran to lead the charge. Perhaps it wasn't coincidental that he was cast in the part.

Last edited:

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.

For what it is worth, school shooter training (still can't believe this is a thing) says to throw whatever objects you can find at the shooter because some study showed even a trained shooter has severely decreased accuracy when objects are coming at them. I know teachers that have objects, things like lacrosse balls, at every desk for that very reason.

When you find yourself in that situation, using whatever you have available is your only option.

Reactions: Hivemind

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Just noticed that one of the producers also produced Chernobyl. It's easy to see the parallels in quality now, and how both ratchet up the tension. They even got a few of the actors from it as well (Skarsgard, the prison doctor, the mole in the ISB).

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Some things I loved:

* The two speeches- holy shit. Stellengards was so good I went from 'wow serkis just had the best monologue ever in star wars' to 'now it's the second best'
*Serkis' facial expressions- the resigned beaten man who rises to the occasion when hope has left him, then his 'attack' on shockingly realising he didn't get fried.
*Cassian's 'on program' and egging Kino on.
* The black shift captain who fearfully takes the first step onto the potentially hot floor (realized in second watch he also had the orange on both sides).
*Related to the above- I find feet, particularly mine, pretty gross- but there were several scenes where I felt like being barefoot added immensely to the storytelling. Who knew?
* The guy from Andor's table who helps break one of the other groups out- but appears absolutely crazed resulting in the prisoners rightly looking at him like 'that unhinged guy will be shot any moment, no one is getting out'. Moshi's much more measured Same guy lamenting being the first to jump in.
*Moshi not being shot being largely luck. You know he makes it and yet the stakes were real. In a different world, Moshi and Cassian are killed and two of the other guys end up rising through the rebellion.
*Kino's 'can't swim' and then cassian being unable to help him- so much better than him getting shot
*Lead guard who says 'it's a vexing question' cowering with the other guards behind a door. Something tells me they will be picking up some new shift work.
*New prisoner immediately getting stuck in and taking out one of the three guards
*The score- I don't properly appreciate scores, particularly in a first viewing, but man oh man did I feel it

*@han solo's post about Romanian dictatorships (never new about that- thanks for sharing!)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hard to believe there's only one episode left. Still seemingly so much in the air (and this episode introduced at least one new loose end).

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Another very very good episode. I wish we had 4 or 5 seasons of this series.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Another very very good episode. I wish we had 4 or 5 seasons of this series.

You got all the things that makes star wars great in this episode. Hopefully this will shut up all the fanboys who are complaining about no action. That one shot [shots :D ] was pure Star Wars.

Yeah, a 3 season or more arc would've been great. From what I understand, there will be a big time gap between season 1 and 2.

Reactions: Richard

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was quite enjoyable even without moving the story forward much. It's hard to believe that we've seen 11 episodes already and there's only one left.

I like how B2 isn't your typical SW droid. He's not in this for cuteness or comic relief, but for sentimentality. It's amusingly fitting that his full name is B2EMO. He's like an old, pitiful but loyal dog. I might've felt worse for him this episode than for Cassian.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad