Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I didn't care for La'an. She seemed to me like a two-dimensional, angry know-it-all who fancied herself in charge.

As for the Gorn, the same argument for changing them can be made against including them at all. If they're not an iconic species, then why bring them back in name only? I think that we know the answer to that.
I think the show gets some value out of the fan service. Also if they create a big bad who is not mentioned or present in the Alpha Quadrant in the other series it becomes just a different thing old school fans complain about. There's no winning with nerds.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think the show gets some value out of the fan service. Also if they create a big bad who is not mentioned or present in the Alpha Quadrant in the other series it becomes just a different thing old school fans complain about. There's no winning with nerds.
You're right that introducing a new species comes with problems, especially because this is a prequel. It's yet another reason against doing prequels. Introducing a new species or re-introducing one in name only aren't the only two options, though. If they had brought back the Gorn and made them cool, but still somewhat recognizable, it would've been a win with the "nerds," I think.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Watching the second episode now and I have a couple of thoughts:

1) Everyone's too casual. Even Pike makes little asides and quips and snarky remarks even in the middle of duty. Like when communication breaks down with the Shepherds and he turns to the crew and makes a jokey remark and mugs for the camera. You're professionals doing a job. It's fine to have some gallows humor or pithy remarks, but maintain professionalism when teh situation calls for it.

2) One thing that not just this show, but a lot of sci-fi shows and multiple star treks starting more noticeably in and around the Voyager era are guilty of that bugs me is that they forget that these ships like the Enterprise are supposed to be capital ships. They're massive, like aircraft carriers or battleships or the like. They aren't meant for agile, fighter-jet like flight paths. Because even if being in space means there's no drag or significant external gravitational pull doesn't mean the laws of physics go on holiday. Something that big and bulky should not be so swift to change direction, twist, twirl, and rock its way around as if it's a much smaller and more maneuverable craft.

Reactions: johnjm22

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Got through the entire season. Overall, this was easily the best of the current crop of Trek shows and the most in touch with what good Star Trek has been over the franchise's history. There are still small things I don't like, but that's always going to be the case. On the whole though this is a mostly likable cast doing classic style Trek plots of exploration, excitement, and a bit of morality, and confronting things in a generally intelligent fashion that doesn't beat you over the head while screaming "LESSON! DO YOU GET IT! DO YOU GET THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT <insert social/ethical issue>! IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU RECOGNIZE THAT WE'RE TELLING YOU THIS THINK SO YOU CAN PRETEND YOU'RE SMART FOR HAVING UNDERSTOOD IT!"

And I think over time some of the fanservicey crap that I hate in prequel shows was toned down. The finale, for example, was a perfect example of how to do it right.

If you've watched and remember Errand of Mercy from TOS there are a ton of winks and nods and call-backs to it along the way. But if you haven't watched the episode or don't remember it you won't feel lost watching this one, nor will you get the sense that the show is speaking to a different audience that's not you. It's extra layers that add to the experience without taking attention away from it.

I'm actually relatively excited for season 2. I already don't know if I want them to do more with Jim Kirk since they've already announced that Paul Wesley is contracted for at least a semi-regular S2 schedule, but on the whole I'm eager to see where they go with the show from here especially now that they're ready to move past Pike's whole destiny conundrum.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
1) Everyone's too casual. Even Pike makes little asides and quips and snarky remarks even in the middle of duty. Like when communication breaks down with the Shepherds and he turns to the crew and makes a jokey remark and mugs for the camera. You're professionals doing a job. It's fine to have some gallows humor or pithy remarks, but maintain professionalism when teh situation calls for it.
This comment voices my biggest complaint. Have they forgotten how to write dialogue that doesn't sound like a Bruce Willis movie? We see the same habit in Marvel films – they don't know how to write characters, so they over-salt them with witty banter.

The irony is that Shatner's Captain Kirk is iconic for being hammy and horny, yet when it came to command decisions he was all business. No crew member dared talk back to him. Pike's dialogue needs more gravitas and less cuteness. Exploring strange new worlds isn't cute.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This comment voices my biggest complaint. Have they forgotten how to write dialogue that doesn't sound like a Bruce Willis movie? We see the same habit in Marvel films – they don't know how to write characters, so they over-salt them with witty banter.

The irony is that Shatner's Captain Kirk is iconic for being hammy and horny, yet when it came to command decisions he was all business. No crew member dared talk back to him. Pike's dialogue needs more gravitas and less cuteness. Exploring strange new worlds isn't cute.
Sure this is how he is perceived in pop culture, but it is in no way accurate to the actual character.

Reactions: Guardian17

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Sure this is how he is perceived in pop culture, but it is in no way accurate to the actual character.
Well, I'm sure Jim Kirk wasn't conceived as hammy. Certainly not horny. Part of that impression is due to Shatner's acting style, part is how male-female relationships were portrayed in the 1960s. But whatever we think of Shatner and the era in which Captain Kirk was created, the character still works. Shatner's Kirk is 100% believable as the Captain of the flagship of a grand Federation. He carries his authority naturally.

Which was my point about Anson Mount's Pike. I love the actor. The character has great potential. But the writers have to get over the current fetish for smarmy/cute/lighthearted dialogue. The tone isn't professional and weakens the role, IMO. 2022 Pike needs a little more 1960s Kirk.

Speaking of which, I mentioned in another thread that I rewatched most of the OS around December and gained a new appreciation for the acting. Shatner in particular has been judged unfairly. 95% of his role is done wonderfully, without the over-the-top acting he gets caricatured for. He nails the tone and carries the show. Kirk's less-than-wonderful 5% represents the cringe-worthy seduction scenes – not Shatner's fault – and an occasional speech where Shatner does overdo the dramatics.

I was reminded again of how great Leonard Nimoy was. Watching him create Spock was a revelation. If anything, the actor hasn't been praised enough for what he gave to pop culture.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well, I'm sure Jim Kirk wasn't conceived as hammy. Certainly not horny. Part of that impression is due to Shatner's acting style, part is how male-female relationships were portrayed in the 1960s. But whatever we think of Shatner and the era in which Captain Kirk was created, the character still works. Shatner's Kirk is 100% believable as the Captain of the flagship of a grand Federation. He carries his authority naturally.

Which was my point about Anson Mount's Pike. I love the actor. The character has great potential. But the writers have to get over the current fetish for smarmy/cute/lighthearted dialogue. The tone isn't professional and weakens the role, IMO. 2022 Pike needs a little more 1960s Kirk.

Speaking of which, I mentioned in another thread that I rewatched most of the OS around December and gained a new appreciation for the acting. Shatner in particular has been judged unfairly. 95% of his role is done wonderfully, without the over-the-top acting he gets caricatured for. He nails the tone and carries the show. Kirk's less-than-wonderful 5% represents the cringe-worthy seduction scenes – not Shatner's fault – and an occasional speech where Shatner does overdo the dramatics.

I was reminded again of how great Leonard Nimoy was. Watching him create Spock was a revelation. If anything, the actor hasn't been praised enough for what he gave to pop culture.
Most of the womanizing portrayed in TOS by Kirk is tactical manipulation in a dangerous situation. The character himself is usually portrayed as someone who has had a series of long term monogamous relationships that ended due to his career.

There's definitely some over the top corny acting in the series, but it's not the majority.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Watching the second episode now and I have a couple of thoughts:

2) One thing that not just this show, but a lot of sci-fi shows and multiple star treks starting more noticeably in and around the Voyager era are guilty of that bugs me is that they forget that these ships like the Enterprise are supposed to be capital ships. They're massive, like aircraft carriers or battleships or the like. They aren't meant for agile, fighter-jet like flight paths. Because even if being in space means there's no drag or significant external gravitational pull doesn't mean the laws of physics go on holiday. Something that big and bulky should not be so swift to change direction, twist, twirl, and rock its way around as if it's a much smaller and more maneuverable craft.
Generally, aerodynamic drag doesn't really exist in most of space, unless you're near a significant source of gravity, so the size of the ship doesn't matter when it comes to manoevrerability.

re: people being casual. This is an example of Marvelitis, which I would say evolved from Whedonitis. Everything has to have an element of jokeyness to it. Don't think we're gonna get away from that for a while unless you're watching The Expanse.

That said, I've seen Two episodes of SNW so far. Kind of liking it. Reminds me of actual Star Trek unlike the previous two shows.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

season 2 teaser

Kirk isn't from space, he's from Iowa he only works in space! :sarcasm:
+Upbeat
+Positive messaging
+Exploration
+No blue beam/portal/wormhole/butthole containing space tentacles
+REAL f***ING KLINGONS!!!!!
While season 1 was not perfect, it was by far the best of the new Star Trek series and I'm looking forward to season 2. Positive vision of the future with character driven stories is what Star Trek has always been about.
And it's all thanks to Star Trek Discovery! Without that show, we wouldn't have this! :bow:
Anson Mount as Captain Pike is the only good thing that came from Discovery, I agree.

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
Looks like there's some kind of time travel story in the preview. Interesting they used a Roots store without bothering to disguise the branding. Didn't know the show was filmed in Canada until now.

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
What show isn't filmed in Canada these days...
Looks like all three seasons of Picard were filmed in California. Is Disco filmed in Canada? Guess it was just Pat Stew not willing to work in Canada that forced Picard to stay in California?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It doesn't matter if it's more upbeat, and portrays a more positive future ect.

The people working on it aren't talented enough to write truly good stories.

It's mostly a vehicle for for nostalgia, and it uses it as a crutch.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It doesn't matter if it's more upbeat, and portrays a more positive future ect.

The people working on it aren't talented enough to write truly good stories.

It's mostly a vehicle for for nostalgia, and it uses it as a crutch.
That's what Star Trek, in general, has become. It used to be written by science fiction writers. Now, it feels like fan fiction written by committee to follow trends and accumulate subscribers via nostalgia, as you said.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That's what Star Trek, in general, has become. It used to be written by science fiction writers. Now, it feels like fan fiction written by committee to follow trends and accumulate subscribers via nostalgia, as you said.
And it gets on my nerves that people are falling for it.

It's Star Trek: The Force Awakens.

People like it now because it's new and giving them nostalgia, but once the newness wears off, people will get bored of it and realize just how utterly mediocre it actually is.

Just like The Force Awakens, it won't age well, and it creates a foundation that sets the story on a course to nowhere.

Reactions: Osprey

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And it gets on my nerves that people are falling for it.

It's Star Trek: The Force Awakens.

People like it now because it's new and giving them nostalgia, but once the newness wears off, people will get bored of it and realize just how utterly mediocre it actually is.

Just like The Force Awakens, it won't age well, and it creates a foundation that sets the story on a course to nowhere.
So essentially: "PEOPLE NEED TO STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!"

Reactions: Mimsy

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So essentially: "PEOPLE NEED TO STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!"
It obviously irritates you that people don't like what you like, as well. He simply expressed it honestly instead of mockingly.

The argument isn't as unreasonable as you're making it sound, IMO. If we hold Star Trek to a high standard, it might force the folks in charge to raise the standards for the franchise and deliver content that all of us don't just like, but love. I imagine that we'd all love to get new shows that compare to the classic shows, but we probably won't if we're happy with shows that don't. In fact, you pointed out that we wouldn't have SNW if it weren't for Discovery, and key aspects of the series (the more positive, upbeat, cooperative and episodic nature of it) were due to the folks in charge listening to complaints about Discovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It obviously irritates you that people don't like what you like, as well. He simply expressed it honestly instead of mockingly.

The argument isn't as unreasonable as you're making it sound, IMO. If we hold Star Trek to a high standard, it might force the folks in charge to raise the standards for the franchise and deliver content that all of us don't just like, but love. I imagine that we'd all love to get new shows that compare to the classic shows, but we probably won't if we're happy with shows that don't. In fact, you pointed out that we wouldn't have SNW if it weren't for Discovery, and key aspects of the series (the more positive, upbeat, cooperative and episodic nature of it) were due to the folks in charge listening to complaints about Discovery.
It shouldn't really. Just like Star Wars, it has it's own issues when you really start to think about. Of course since it takes place in "our world", it's main issue is becoming modern day technology surpassing the tech in the original series. New shows that take place in a specific time have to adjust to it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It shouldn't really. Just like Star Wars, it has it's own issues when you really start to think about. Of course since it takes place in "our world", it's main issue is becoming modern day technology surpassing the tech in the original series. New shows that take place in a specific time have to adjust to it.

People forget that most of the tech that's been surpassed from TOS is really about user interfaces. The important pieces of technology haven't been... we don't even have spaceships in the Star Trek sense, much less FTL travel. No transporters. No handheld energy weapons. All that really happens in the new shows is updating the look, which is really about the UIs, and some of the language used around the technology.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad