Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
People forget that most of the tech that's been surpassed from TOS is really about user interfaces. The important pieces of technology haven't been... we don't even have spaceships in the Star Trek sense, much less FTL travel. No transporters. No handheld energy weapons. All that really happens in the new shows is updating the look, which is really about the UIs, and some of the language used around the technology.
Some people have a problem with even that.

Looks like the WGA strike has stopped production on season 3.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If a couple of years ago you had told me that I'd be super excited to see a couple of cartoon series characters cross over into a modern live action show after having only seen Discovery and the beginnings of Lower Decks (which I didn't like at the time) I would've scoffed.

But here we are.

And it's hard to tell with just the minimal amount of lines, but both Boimler and Mariner's voices sound a little bit different than I remember. I don't know if that's an artifact of recording them on a sound stage instead of a VO booth or if the actors maybe don't notice themselves altering their voices a little bit to do voice over (since both of them are chiefly in-the-flesh actors and not necessarily trained to do voice work and because Lower Decks is more inherently wacky than a real life show so they have to restrain themselves so they don't come across like literal wannabe cartoon characters) when they record for Lower Decks or what.

Or maybe it's just the trailer futzing with things and the actual episode will sound more on point.

A little said it's not all 4 LD mains though. I would've loved Tendi and Rutherford along for the ride.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Completely stoked to see Boimler and Mariner IRL.

But I'm gonna ask a real question here:

Are we gonna get some of my boy Ransom? He and Number #1????????

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Very action heavy episode. Love commander Pelia.

For Nichelle
who was first through the door
and showed us to the stars.

Hailing frequencies forever open...

:cry:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mediocre start to the season. Some good character content but the plot was pretty bad.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Pretty cool to see Carol Kane in E1. She made a small character come alive without the need for cheap one-liners – that's what real comedic talent gives you.

E1 was okay, but I'm losing interest in Spock. His personality is moving further from classic Nimoy and closer to The Hulk. The show's become a weekly game of Vulcan Dodgeball as the character continually loses his cool and gets angry, sad, horny, etc. That's not Spock.

Haven't seen E2 yet; hoping the characters get back on track.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Episode 2 had good character content again but the plot overall was sloppy and the legal content laughable, though that is not unusual for fiction.

I'm a bit concerned with how sloppy the writing has been to start this season.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I've watched the show here and there. Before I go into any critiques let it be clear that I'm not a fan of excessive retcon. Never have been. And this show is excessive retcon.

Overall the show has good pacing and is solid action, however it suffers from the same problem as much Nu Trek: overreliance on the past and trying to compete with superhero franchises.

-Episode one of season two was "fun" in the most general way, however they "stole the Enterprise" again which as a trope is getting old. They used super soldier serum instead of smarts to beat a stronger enemy, as @Lshap said Spock is played as a cross between Edward Norton's Hulk and Zachary Quinto's Spock.

-The "comedy" didn't hit. I don't know about everyone but Captain's having a catchphrase for Warp Speed or in general, this is Star Trek not 1998 WWF. Waste of time. There was also about 3 minutes wasted combined at the beginning for the whole "ladies put neckbeards in place" and the catchphrase. Hangover jokes in Star Trek have been overused.

-Carol Kane is fine. The issue is they've done the whole "older alien with more experience who looks like a human and is going to put all these young people in their place" many times before.

-Episode 2 is basically the writers taking the Data and Bashear legal issues and splicing it into one.

-Uhura who they're overall doing a good job with character development wise is an Ensign already yet is only a Lt. by the time Kirk takes over? Seems a little inconsistent.

-The show is supposed to be called Strange New Worlds. How about they explore and not madlib previous Star Trek plots?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Star Trek: CRINGE New Worlds

This show sucks. Another cringe filled, nostalgia-dependent piece of mediocrity.

Brought to you by 3 time Golden Raspberry nominee Akiva Goldsman.

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Another good episode.

Edit: the reason for lack of Pike, via Superherohype forums: Anson's child was born just as the season was about to start shooting so they wrote him out of the early season as much as possible as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad