Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Disagree, McDavid is the only calibre option especially with recency bias. Bobrovsky was going to be the CS, but lost it with those 1-8 and 1-5 losses.
You either win or you lose. 97 lost. 0 points in games 6 and 7 when it mattered most. No one on Florida was spectacular but don't give it to a guy that lost and wasn't good at the end of the series when it mattered

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
im not worked up, I’m good. This weekend I was worked up got 86’ed out of a bar(pool tournament)not one drop of booze either. I have no vested interest in any of it, just didn’t think a player on a losing said should ever win the con smythe I’d say the same thing if it was an Avs player in the same situation
It felt like a consolation prize intended for McDavid, the Edmonton franchise and its fans..... Maybe even Canada as a whole.

I never understood why Reggie Leach won the Conn Smyth. And thought Giguere receiving it was a nice loser's prize.

Kind of a patronizing move in my opinion.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You either win or you lose. 97 lost. 0 points in games 6 and 7 when it mattered most. No one on Florida was spectacular but don't give it to a guy that lost and wasn't good at the end of the series when it mattered
Again, nowhere does it say it has to go to a player from the winning team.

More often than not it does because the player was unbelievable during the playoffs and nobody else came close.

This is different. We haven't seen anything like this run from McDavid since Lemieux and Gretzky in their primes. Nobody on Florida was even close to deserving it over him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Again, nowhere does it say it has to go to a player from the winning team.

More often than not it does because the player was unbelievable during the playoffs and nobody else came close.

This is different. We haven't seen anything like this run from McDavid since Lemieux and Gretzky in their primes. Nobody on Florida was even close to deserving it over him.
Good for him, still has 0 cups. Guarantee that he isn't proud of getting this award in a losing effort. If he is, that's on him. I think he rather win the cup than win the MVP in a losing effort.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Ridiculous to judge a trophy based on two games. The Smythe is for the entire playoffs, 4 rounds.

McDavid had 42 points. Florida had 22 point scorers and a .906 goaltender.

Edmonton was much more top heavy and carried by their stars while the Panthers won with depth and no real standout performances.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Ridiculous to judge a trophy based on two games. The Smythe is for the entire playoffs, 4 rounds.

McDavid had 42 points. Florida had 22 point scorers and a .906 goaltender.

Edmonton was much more top heavy and carried by their stars while the Panthers won with depth and no real standout performances.
If you look at the stat lines every opposing teams player put up against Barkov I'd say in a normal year he should get the Smythe. Arguably a better performance than the last four Smythe winners prior to McDavid.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I get that you could make a case for McDavid to be the MVP. Lots of points, team would never have made it that far without him, etc... But 0 points and 2 shots in games 6 & 7 combined as his team loses does taint the honor a bit.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Fun facts.

2022-23 Stanley Cup Vegas Golden Knights owner, Bill Foley, is a '67 West Point graduate.

2023-2024 Florida Panthers owner Vincent Viola, is a '77 West Point graduate. He is Chairman, Owner, and Governor of Sunrise Sports & Entertainment and the National Hockey League’s Florida Panthers, as well as Chairman of the Florida Panthers Foundation.

Matthew Caldwell, an ’02 graduate of West Point is CEO of the Florida Panthers.

Bryce Hollweg ’08 graduate of West Point, is the COO of the Florida Panthers.

The United States Military Academy at West Point, New York.... also known as The Black Knights of the Hudson.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
One thing I will say: Knoblauch deserves massive credit for taking that flawed, top-heavy roster and getting it to 15 wins. He managed to get McDrai to play defense, got a ton of buy-in from his skaters, and almost managed to outfox Paul Maurice and crack the best defensive team in the league. Exceptional special teams, too. Very few coaches could have done so much with so little in such a short time.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Will this be McDavid's last cup final? Assuming he stays in Edmonton.

The roster is flawed, handcuffed with bad contracts and even this finals appearance took a historic run from McDavid to even get this far.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Allthough i went with Florida and i am relieved that the Panthers got it done, i still have respect for the Oilers.

Making the finals with this D and Goaltending and even dragging the finals to a game 7 and nearly making a comeback for the ages..... Say what you want, but thats something.

From our our view a botched season.

Season is finally over.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Thank god I didn't have to see Perry, Kane or McDrai lift the cup. And now we have a bunch of Cup finals memes to throw at any Lolers fans that start getting uppity for the next couple years

Panthers choking 2 SCFs in a row would have been the stuff of legends, though.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Disagree, McDavid is the only calibre option especially with recency bias. Bobrovsky was going to be the CS, but lost it with those 1-8 and 1-5 losses.
I can see your point about the 1-8 loss. The team basically dissapeared in front of him though so I don't hold both losses on him but the 1-8 needed to me better. So maybe it was his to lose before that.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
One of the best finals I’ve seen and probably the closest one in decades, pretty much all advanced stat numbers were between 49 & 51%.

Sucks for McDavid but I’m sure the Oilers will get back here, could easily see them winning next year.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad