Stanley Cup Playoffs 2014 - 2015 Discussions, Predictions & Game Chat II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's just some games where a goaltender gets lit up pretty badly and there wasn't really much they could do on many shots or any of the shots. It's kind of like the night Cory was smoked by Minnesota later in the year. I was a staunch critic of Marty's play last year, but the Stadium Series game also comes to mind as an example of what happened to Darling today.

Puck just wasn't hitting Darling tonight. It's not fair to hold a single game of getting lit up on any goaltender. And didn't Darling also stop like 126 of 130 in the series before tonight? Or something ridiculous like that. Could just be the percentages evening out and he was bound to get lit up after that insane streak. The puck wasn't hitting Crawford for a couple of those earlier games either, but Crawford did let in a couple bad ones too.

It would be best if they got Crawford back in there sooner than later. I also go with experience over the good story like Eddy.

Though it wouldn't be unfair to give Darling one more crack at it. If they can't close this out in game 6 though (even if Darling plays good), it might be time to go back to Crawford. He has a decent amount of game 7 and elimination game experience.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't call it unneccesary games in their case, they lost road clinchers in Game 5 and against teams they're not vastly better then - **** can happen when you're trying to bounce a team on the road. If the Rangers or Habs lost tonight that'd be different, you lose a potential home clincher against a team you're clearly better than, any games after that are what I'd call unneccesary.

I don't think the Tampa-Wings series is over by any stretch either. Tampa'll probably roll them in Game 5 but if the Wings win Game 6 at home all the pressure's on Tampa in Game 7, and Mrazek's been playing very well.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If you need any proof at how bipolar this board can be:

Tampa's down 2-0 "They stink, shouldn't even be in the playoffs" - They win in OT, tie the series at 2.

Vancouver's down 1-0 "They stink, shouldn't even be in the playoffs" - They win 2-1.

Islanders give up 31 shots in the 2nd and 3rd period combined "Halak stinks"

:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not sure anyone was saying Tampa didn't belong in the playoffs since most people here had them winning the East but I'd have to look back a few pages cause I wasn't around. If anything I think people were *****ing they were losing to a team that's lately been playing like they didn't belong in the playoffs :P

In fairness to #2 most people don't think the Flames should be in the playoffs either lol...the Pacific or whatever that division is really became the weaker of the two West brackets by far with the demise of the Sharks and flop of the Kings.

And Halak really wasn't that bad last night looking at the highlights, just goal #5 was awful and the horse was out of the barn by then, they just got rolled.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm not sure anyone was saying Tampa didn't belong in the playoffs since most people here had them winning the East but I'd have to look back a few pages cause I wasn't around. If anything I think people were *****ing they were losing to a team that's lately been playing like they didn't belong in the playoffs :P

In fairness to #2 most people don't think the Flames should be in the playoffs either lol...the Pacific or whatever that division is really became the weaker of the two West brackets by far with the demise of the Sharks and flop of the Kings.

And Halak really wasn't that bad last night looking at the highlights, just goal #5 was awful and the horse was out of the barn by then, they just got rolled.

Haha I'm just busting chops, it's funny to read during the games.

Personally, I thought Halak got shelled last night and the rest of the team didn't show up after the first. He did about as much as he could to keep that game as close as possible, but I'm sure he was gassed by the 3rd. You can tell the Islanders defense has been depleted with the losses of Hamonic and Visnovsky.

The Flames are a better team than they're being given credit for by many here, I had them in 6 and I think they'll close it out at home.

As far as Tampa goes, they're just so deep offensively that they can turn around a game as quickly as they did last night. I, like most on here, would rather see Tampa make a deep run because they have the ability to take it to the Rangers. At the same time, it's tough because I would like to see the Wings make a push for Zids' sake and our future draft pick's sake :laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Not that deHaan is really any good (he's vastly over-rated), but if he's out on Saturday NYi just may not have enough on the blue line to eke out a win.

They are too thin on the blue line with injuries to Hamonic and Visnovsky.

Griffin Busthart is still not ready to step in and provide steady minutes.

They should play Pulock instead.

Yeah it's still somewhat too early to make judgment, but you can make a case that these defensemen drafted after Reinhart are better players:

1st rounders:
Rielly
Lindholm
Dumba
Pouliot
Trouba
Ceci
Maata

2nd round: Severson

Camille the Eel

As to Isles: sitting Brock Nelson last night and shaking up the lines (moving Okposo back with Tavares) didn't work out last night for them either. Their middle two lines were badly outclassed.

They are getting nothing from Kulemein, Nelson (who sat), Strome, Neilson, Lee (who was a rookie force this year) after game one, and unless these mid-line players step up they are through. Besides the defense.

Funny, defense was where they were thin - but adequate - yet that's just where the injuries hit. That's the way it always seems to happen.

Finally Tampa - Detroit last night. You watch hockey year after year, you think you've seen it all. But then you haven't. That's the great thing about the playoffs. That was one great finish to a game last night.

What happened to Luke Glendening (sorry can't spell check names, I'm in the deep country up down east with barely adequate internet for one screen at a time) by the way? He left the game in the 3d and then the roof collapsed for Detroit.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
As to Isles: sitting Brock Nelson last night and shaking up the lines (moving Okposo back with Tavares) didn't work out last night for them either. Their middle two lines were badly outclassed.

They are getting nothing from Kulemein, Nelson (who sat), Strome, Neilson, Lee (who was a rookie force this year) after game one, and unless these mid-line players step up they are through. Besides the defense.

Funny, defense was where they were thin - but adequate - yet that's just where the injuries hit. That's the way it always seems to happen.

Finally Tampa - Detroit last night. You watch hockey year after year, you think you've seen it all. But then you haven't. That's the great thing about the playoffs. That was one great finish to a game last night.

What happened to Luke Glendening (sorry can't spell check names, I'm in the deep country up down east with barely adequate internet for one screen at a time) by the way? He left the game in the 3d and then the roof collapsed for Detroit.

I would think that Nelson has an injury or was ill.
Seems to be a bad move by Cappy to scratch him if he was healthy enough to play.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

He injured his thumb I believe, but reports seem to indicate that he'll be back for Game 5, but the effect of his absence on Detroit really shows how much Babcock was using him to shutdown someone like Tyler Johnson.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
If you need any proof at how bipolar this board can be:

Tampa's down 2-0 "They stink, shouldn't even be in the playoffs" - They win in OT, tie the series at 2.

Vancouver's down 1-0 "They stink, shouldn't even be in the playoffs" - They win 2-1.

Islanders give up 31 shots in the 2nd and 3rd period combined "Halak stinks"

:laugh:
I am very susceptible to this bipolarism myself. :laugh: It's fun to read and participate in it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another questionable call drawn by Marty St. Louis...and the Rags score.

How on Earth did the Penguins make the playoffs this year?

Metro sucks and Boston got really sleepy.

They honestly have no business in the playoffs and deserve to get trounced and eliminated tonight...sadly who they are playing compels me to root for them

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm done with the Rags Pitt game. Between the soft penalty and Rosen' s obnoxious over the top commentating, im just ****ing done. This series has been horrible. Let it just end already.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In all honesty if Pitt is going to lose tonight I would prefer they get blown out of the building.

If they are gonna get eliminated I hope they go down swinging, take it to triple OT, and take some rags with them. Maybe Downie can pull a kreider. That would be some nice karmic justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad