Stan Bowman linked to the Oilers GM role--discussion about him, the job and the ramifications.

Your reaction if Stan Bowman is hired as GM?

• Not Happy

Votes: 83 39.5%
  • He was never convicted of a crime

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Happy

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • He should never work again in the NHL

Votes: 84 40.0%
  • unsure

Votes: 23 11.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don’t know why this team keeps hiring has-been GMs. First they hire a washed Chiarelli, then a washed Holland, and now a washed and controversial Bowman

This team loves being the centre of attention, in the worst ways

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don’t know why this team keeps hiring has-been GMs. First they hire a washed Chiarelli, then a washed Holland, and now a washed and controversial Bowman

This team loves being the centre of attention, in the worst ways
Why hire competent people when you can hire friends instead?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Aaand Jeff Jackson just ruined the entire offseason. Awful person awful GM. If he was at least Sakic/Zito/Nill caliber I might be able to stomach it but he's not even good. What does he even add to the team?

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
I posted a few weeks back on why would you invite unnecessary backlash on the organization, even if the guy were off the charts in talent, which he is not. It almost smacks of...'no one is going to tell me who I can or can't hire'.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I really have to wonder if Katz is behind this move. Jackson really knows the league and had likely our best summer's work since Sather.

Was Jackson getting too big for his britches so ownership forced in a hire who's old boy network, daddy's name, etc.?
This may have been the plan going back to last summer when Jackson was hired.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

For those jumping on Bowman like he's the villain in this are wrong. He did was was expected of him, but he didn't think his superiors would stoop that low. He left on his own accord. Never once did he get accused of this. But let's continue to over-react when someone made a mistake and wants to correct it.

And no, I'm not supporting hiring him. But I will not over-react to this.
My biggest problem with this hole situation is he is back on to of the thrown right out of jail. To me thats a problem. He shouldnof had to work his way back amd prove himself. That to me is the biggest problem

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
so you think Jackson didn't do his due diligence hiring him then?

Wouldn't even be the first time in the last 2 GM hires that the team did an extensive search only to immediately abandon it and hire the 'biggest name' that they didn't originally think was available.

But honestly if Jackson really did put the work in and then still settled on Bowman IMO that's an even worse look.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
My biggest problem with this hole situation is he is back on to of the thrown right out of jail. To me thats a problem. He shouldnof had to work his way back amd prove himself. That to me is the biggest problem

That's fair. People can criticize that its too soon. But to go "I'm gonna have an adult tantrum and not support ANYTHING Oilers" can go cheer for the Flames. Just sick of the over-reacting.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Wouldn't even be the first time in the last 2 GM hires that the team did an extensive search only to immediately abandon it and hire the 'biggest name' that they didn't originally think was available.

But honestly if Jackson really did put the work in and then still settled on Bowman IMO that's an even worse look.
It pains me to think they were looking at Bill Zito before they got all weak-kneed when Holland became available.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
so you think Jackson didn't do his due diligence hiring him then?
I think that he made a dreadful mistake in hiring him. I think that this shows how deep the sickness of OBC runs in the NHL that this guy was even allowed back. And I think that JJ is about to learn how many fans care about this issue. There will be a huge backlash on this and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a boycott from fans that have been here.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

then maybe we look to fire Jackson

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
he's also the reason Hyman and Ekholm are here...so who deserves praise for the Oilers getting to Game 7 of the Cup final?
Hyman and Ekholm are good moves. The Nurse and Campbell contracts are not. Plus we wasted a couple years on Woodcroft and Jackson had to pretty much use every GM trick in the book to bring almost everyone back.

then maybe we look to fire Jackson
Alternatively we should've fired Bob Nicholson years ago.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
That's fair. People can criticize that its too soon. But to go "I'm gonna have an adult tantrum and not support ANYTHING Oilers" can go cheer for the Flames. Just sick of the over-reacting.
People can react however they want. Who are you to say it's overreacting?

All my respect to the people who can draw their line in the sand and walk away. I'm unfortunately far too engrossed in this team to take a principled stand like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad