Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to resign with the lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.3%

• Total voters

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
1719085883837.png

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Honestly, if Stamkos walks you can sign the 3rd line instead because it doesn't exist now. There are 2 AHL guys and Paul, he's a solid player but he's more of a middle 6 guy with a good shot. So in theory, even if Stammer is not re-signed, the team could be better.
My problem is that I don’t trust JBB at all, most likely he will sign another Sheary and Jeannot instead of the new Gourde and Coleman and TBL will miss the playoffs.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
It’s not looking good honestly

Also the backlash to JBB and the front office if they don’t will be very swift and very loud.
Which is worse;

Signing a longtime fan favorite whose contract will take most of the available Cap Space, thereby limiting your ability to fill the roster with capable support outside of your core six?
OR
Not signing that player and using the Cap Space that frees up to sign two or more capable players who can compliment your remaining core five?

Given the comments regarding the past two disappointing post season results, that choice should be obvious.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
No extension prior to the final season of his existing contract, when it's the norm for our guys to get extensions at that time, and still no extension with just a week left before FA makes me say no. A move still needs to be made to make it all work, so that complicates things as well. I'd say it's 60/40 he signs elsewhere.....probably for round 8.5 aav.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Honestly by now JBB probably has made his only offer I’d say he offered stamkos 5 million per year for 8 years or 5.5 million per year for 3 years

I’d guess stamkos camp is looking for 7.5 to 8 per year on the open market for 3-4 years

RLP55

Jul 13, 2022
Everyone keeps saying there's two or more capable guys we can sign instead of Stamkos but doesn't name them...

I’m in the minority for moving on from Stamkos. Detailed why in another thread. As far as naming his replacements, management doesn’t give a rats ass what posters speculate. It’s fun for us on the forum, but most of it is wishful thinking. Actually some posters have been more creative than JBB. Unfortunately, we have no real say.

Will miss Stamkos if he leaves, but will still be a Lightning fan first and foremost.

I’m more worried about the loss of Vinik than Stamkos.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

RLP55

Jul 13, 2022
OK is it just me. Or has iOS 17.5 ruined the experience of this website.

Constant pop ups, taking up 25% of the screen. Page continually reloading. Lag in typing a post.

Any suggestions.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
- Stamkos , Jeannot & Sheary

Add Guentzel, Duclair and girgensons
Guentzel alone would eat up most of that space probably.

I’m in the minority for moving on from Stamkos. Detailed why in another thread. As far as naming his replacements, management doesn’t give a rats ass what posters speculate. It’s fun for us on the forum, but most of it is wishful thinking. Actually some posters have been more creative than JBB. Unfortunately, we have no real say.

Will miss Stamkos if he leaves, but will still be a Lightning fan first and foremost.

It's not about management literally enacting our ideas but it helps to have an idea of what's actually possible than just assuming two random $4m players will be perfect fits.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Yep it will be a sad day if and when vinik sells the franchise we would probably go back to getting garbage ownership again

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
JBB gonna get fired if he lets Stamkos walks and we don’t make the Finals…Stamkos is a cash cow for Vinik/organization.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
JBB gonna get fired if he lets Stamkos walks and we don’t make the Finals…Stamkos is a cash cow for Vinik/organization.
Winning is a cash cow, too.

Stamkos merch sales, etc. probably are pretty decent, but it's not like we couldn't sell Hedman, Kucherov, or Vasi shirts.

We aren't as reliant on Stamkos as say, the Caps are with Ovechkin.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I am as patient of a fan as their is and can accept the last 2 years for what they were. But I've about had enough of this losing BS. Last year I watched a team just go through the motions and not even give a crap that it was eliminated. If Stamkos is gonna help fix it, you find a way to sign him. If not, let him walk. But win the Cup. I don't give a damn about luxury players so we can spoil ourselves into mindlessly swirling around the ice and pretend it's 2021. Only Stamkos can answer the question to what kind of player he wants to be

Also enormous f***ing LOL's that yet another one of his contract negotiations is taking this long again. For the 3rd time

Reactions: Todd1a

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
To be fair he was the only guy that looked like he wasn't going through the motions in that series. The question is whether you trust him to be that guy again with a contract in his back pocket.
He was one of the few guys I saw give his all. I want him back for that reason. I don't think he was the problem and I think having McDonagh is going to help in that way too. A lot of these guys were not hungry

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
To be fair he was the only guy that looked like he wasn't going through the motions in that series. The question is whether you trust him to be that guy again with a contract in his back pocket.
Yep, agree much of this, but have been looking at situation this way.
  • Lightning had major depth they enjoyed from 2015-2022.
  • Star players like Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, & other offensive producers enjoyed and benefited from awesome depth.
  • That Lightning depth would come through enough during playoff runs.
  • That took pressures off Lightning stars every playoff game back then.
  • Stamkos didn't have to be a firecracker because team dynamtic didn't call for it.
  • Stamkos not having such a bighead, like some stars do with demanding puck, ice-time, etc.
  • Helps paint a clearer picture of Stamkos being a team player 1st.
  • But one might see all this differently, there's a bunch to unpack here.
Now with all that depth gone, Lightning need star players like Point & others to play at same level Stamkos brought -vs- Florida. Some Lightning players brought it -vs- Florida, some didn't. Take Point as an example.... did Point look like same player who pressured opponents defensively during back-to-back runs? I don't think so, and Point hasn't looked like "Mr. clutch playoff Point", since back-to-back. Love Point, and it was nice witnessing old "Clutch Point" during Lightning 10-0-2 run this season. But Point's high salary would not be safe, when it came to decidng who stays and goes (No trade messes this up though). Tough choices have to be made, it stinks. When weighting all this, it matters to me Stamkos played & stepped up when Lightning needed stars to be stars the most. Just like Leafs & other star players have, and are asked to do every playoffs. Stamkos did just that these playoffs, and who knows what happens if everyon else plays 60 minutes the same way.

Lastly, can't think of time Stamkos was selfish and not a team player first. Maybe someone here can help refresh my memory, if Stamkos did so. Going to give Stamkos benefit of doubt here, he's earned that much. Afraid if Lightning let Stamkos go: His game looks as if it's going to age well, and witnessing that for years on another team, will make McD trade regret seem mild in comparsion.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I am as patient of a fan as their is and can accept the last 2 years for what they were. But I've about had enough of this losing BS. Last year I watched a team just go through the motions and not even give a crap that it was eliminated. If Stamkos is gonna help fix it, you find a way to sign him. If not, let him walk. But win the Cup. I don't give a damn about luxury players so we can spoil ourselves into mindlessly swirling around the ice and pretend it's 2021. Only Stamkos can answer the question to what kind of player he wants to be

Also enormous f***ing LOL's that yet another one of his contract negotiations is taking this long again. For the 3rd time
Death taxes and a Stamkos long contract negotiation for the 3rd time lol 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad