SSM Greyhounds Off-season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I said Pearson could possibly be removed and what likely just happened is UofM (the top recruiting University on the planet that has yet to play in a Finals game under Pearson) just skirted ANY NCAA sanctions or loss of recruits and will continue to roll on unaffected. Probably with a better head coach in place. I’m sure there’s a full email box in the applications dept.
I don't recall anyone saying "nothing was going to happen" Pearson was already out the door. I know people didn't like Pearson but he did make 2 Frozen Fours in 5 seasons (only 4 Frozen Fours during that time).

If they keep their recruiting class together they are still going to be loaded. Samoskevich/Duke/Truscott/Hughes(if he doesn't sign)/Portillo/Fantilli/Nazar/McGroarty/Casey that's half their roster right there,

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Fowards

OA'S - Kalvyn Watson (RW) , Keegan McMullen (LW/C)

19- Jordan D'intino (C/LW) , Tyler Savard (LW), Ty Anselmini (LW) (Walk)

18 - Owen Allard (C) , Landen Hookey (RW) , Bryce McConnell-Barker (C) Julian Lutz (C/LW) Rutger McGroarty (C/LW)

17 - Marco Mignosa (RW) , Justin Cloutier (RW) , Ethan Montroy (LW) Connor Clattenburg (LW)

16 - Christopher Brown (C) , Alex Kostov (RW) Tate Vader (C) (JrA)

Defense

OA'S - Matthew Halushak, Ryan Thompson

19 - Luc Brzustowski

18 - Carden Carlisle , Kirill Kudryavtsev, Connie Toms

17- Andrew Gibson, Blair Scott? , Anthony Ciaramitaro ?

16 - Broden McConnell-Barker

Goalies

OA - Tucker Tynan ( Walks, Pro) ?

19- Samuel Ivanov

18- Tyler Muszelik? , Charlie Schenkel ( Trade?)

16- Landon Miller ( JrA)

What do you guys Think ?

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Lines if They All Show up

Julian Lutz(LW), Rutger McGroarty (C), Marco Mignosa
Tyler Savard (LW) Bryce McConnell-Barker (C) Kalvyn Watson(RW)
Jordan D'Intino (LW) Owen Allard (C) Justin Cloutier (RW)
Keegan McMullen (LW) Christopher Brown (C) Landon Hookey (RW)

Spare
Ethan Montroy (LW) , Connor Clattenburg (LW) Alex Kostov (RW) Tate Vader (C) (JrA)

Defense
Luc Brzustowski Kirill Kudryavtsev
Caeden Carlsie Ryan Thompson
Connor Toms Andrew Gibson

Spare : Broden McConnell-Barker, Anthony Ciaramitaro, Blair Scott

WAlks
Matthew Halushak
G

Tyler Muszelik
Samuel Ivanov

IF NONe Show up

Tyler Savard (LW) Bryce McConnell-Barker (C, Marco Mignosa
Jordan D'Intino (LW) Owen Allard (C) ) Kalvyn Watson(RW)
Keegan McMullen (LW) Christopher Brown (C) Justin Cloutier (RW)
Ethan Montroy (LW)Tate Vader (C) (JrA) ) Landon Hookey (RW)

Spare Connor Clattenburg (LW) Alex Kostov (RW)

Walks or Trade : Ty Anselmini

Defense
Luc Brzustowski Kirill Kudryavtsev
Caeden Carlsie Ryan Thompson
Connor Toms Andrew Gibson
Spare :Broden McConnell-Barker Anthony Ciaramitaro, Blair Scott

WAlks
Matthew Halushak

Samuel Ivanov
Charlile Schenkel

Reactions: PuckLife

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am not sure you will see Schenkel ahead of Miller.

If none show, remember we can only have 4x 16 year olds on the roster (Brown, Miller, McConnell-Barker, Kostov, Vader)

Not sure we have the forward depth for Anselmini to walk if nobody shows. He was a healthy scratch on a contender, but on our team next year he would certainly have a role he could play. It depends who impresses from camp.

It's probably not too far off, though @Kristina Hazzard

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Good for Jordan Smith for moving on. This is a development league in all regards - players, coaches, development staff, low level and high level management.
Weird though… because what would we say about a player that lasted 9 years in this league without moving up and onward?
Would we consider that a successful career?

Makes you wonder about Raftis.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
i am sure raftis has had opportunities presented to him to move to pro hockey but has chosen
to remain with the Soo Greyhounds.
Some people prefer working in Junior Hockey over the professional ranks.
examples : the hunter brothers, Brian Kilrea just to name a few.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Makes you wonder about Raftis.

I am not so sure he has had those offers. I don't think there has been that much turnover in the pro hockey management ranks; not like there has for coaching. He is still young enough that there is time for him to still take that step when the opportunities present (if they present).

The Greyhounds sure don't seem to be wondering about him. Upping him by another 4 years is a clear sign that they couldn't be happier with his performance and have no doubt that he is the best person for the job for now and for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Import selection Noel Nordh had a good semi final at the Hlinka Gretzy, but his team Sweden ultimately got man handled by Canada in the finals losing 4-1.

1ST STAR: NOEL NORDH – SWEDEN

Nordh was buzzing against Czechia and was noticeable every shift he was one. It may not have been displayed on the game sheet, where he only registered one goal, but he definitely left his mark. Nordh’s early second period goal seemed to slow the onslaught by the Czech side, who were relentless in their attack up until that point against the Swedes.

“Nordh had a big goal in the second period against Czechia, and used his impressive combination of size and speed at other points in the game to push his opponents back on their heels,” Neumeier said.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
I am not sure you will see Schenkel ahead of Miller.

If none show, remember we can only have 4x 16 year olds on the roster (Brown, Miller, McConnell-Barker, Kostov, Vader)

Not sure we have the forward depth for Anselmini to walk if nobody shows. He was a healthy scratch on a contender, but on our team next year he would certainly have a role he could play. It depends who impresses from camp.

It's probably not too far off, though @Kristina Hazzard

No mention of Charlie in Sootoday article regarding Miller/Goaltending.

Screenshot_20220811-094428_Chrome.jpg

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yep, I saw that and posted it

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
Since we’re losing a ton of top players going into this season, who is going to be our big players aka point leaders? I know it’s tough to tell but anyone got any ideas?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think Kudryavtsev has a chance to get to a point per game on the back end. In the forwards I figure McConnell-Barker, Watson, Mignosa, Allard could all get close to that mark.

Reactions: Bearness

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I think Kudryavtsev has a chance to get to a point per game on the back end. In the forwards I figure McConnell-Barker, Watson, Mignosa, Allard could all get close to that mark.
You think Allard and Mignosa are going to jump from 24/25 points respectively to 70 each? That'd be a massive jump

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
Okay. Definitely not the same offensive power we had as last year but we know that. Thanks pops

You think Allard and Mignosa are going to jump from 24/25 points respectively to 70 each? That'd be a massive jump
I don’t think they’ll be in the 70’s either. But I guess we’ll see

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I watched both of them carefully this year. I think they could both hit 60 and with a few lucky bounces one could top 70. That's assuming they get top 6 minutes, which might change if we get a few reports.

Reactions: HockeyFan000

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
I watched both of them carefully this year. I think they could both hit 60 and with a few lucky bounces one could top 70. That's assuming they get top 6 minutes, which might change if we get a few reports.
Possibly if they get good power play time too.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It certainly would be a big jump. What I guess I am struggling with wrapping my mind around, is that even the worst teams in the league score 200 goals in a season. Who is going to score our 200 goals? When you start looking down our roster, there aren't too many likely candidates. Maybe Savard finds his scoring touch, but I am not sure he ever hits over a point per game in this league, thinking he most likely settles around 0.8 points per game.

I think our top 6 shakes out like this right now:
LW - Savard
LW - ?
C - McConnell-Barker
C - Allard
RW - Watson
RW - Mignosa

Cloutier might push for a spot in there. Maybe Montroy shows up ready to jump in there. Maybe D'Intino or McMullen ends up there by default. Maybe Chris Brown jumps in there. Obviously a big signing of either an import or an NTDP player changes the calculation, but as of right now that's how I see the top 6 shaping up.

There is also past precedent to expect these kinds of numbers in sophomore seasons.
14 -> 61 MacKay (5th rounder)
23 -> 59 Kerins (4th rounder)
27 -> 60 Hayton (1st rounder)
27 -> 62 Frost (4th rounder)

The common thread is that these players all got top 6 minutes in their sophomore season, after playing lower in their rookie seasons.

So, what can we expect?
25 -> ?? Mignosa (2nd rounder)
24 -> ?? Allard (7th rounder)
19 -> ?? Cloutier (1st rounder)

These players are all skilled enough to get to 60+ points given the opportunity. Whoever ends up in the top 6 for the season should start piling up the points.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
It certainly would be a big jump. What I guess I am struggling with wrapping my mind around, is that even the worst teams in the league score 200 goals in a season. Who is going to score our 200 goals? When you start looking down our roster, there aren't too many likely candidates. Maybe Savard finds his scoring touch, but I am not sure he ever hits over a point per game in this league, thinking he most likely settles around 0.8 points per game.

I think our top 6 shakes out like this right now:
LW - Savard
LW - ?
C - McConnell-Barker
C - Allard
RW - Watson
RW - Mignosa

Cloutier might push for a spot in there. Maybe Montroy shows up ready to jump in there. Maybe D'Intino or McMullen ends up there by default. Maybe Chris Brown jumps in there. Obviously a big signing of either an import or an NTDP player changes the calculation, but as of right now that's how I see the top 6 shaping up.

There is also past precedent to expect these kinds of numbers in sophomore seasons.
14 -> 61 MacKay (5th rounder)
23 -> 59 Kerins (4th rounder)
27 -> 60 Hayton (1st rounder)
27 -> 62 Frost (4th rounder)

The common thread is that these players all got top 6 minutes in their sophomore season, after playing lower in their rookie seasons.

So, what can we expect?
25 -> ?? Mignosa (2nd rounder)
24 -> ?? Allard (7th rounder)
19 -> ?? Cloutier (1st rounder)

These players are all skilled enough to get to 60+ points given the opportunity. Whoever ends up in the top 6 for the season should start piling up the points.
Big offensive talent difference between MacKay, Kerins, Hayton and Frost and Mignosa/Allard though...

MacKay: 30 goals in 32 games in minor midget (46 pts)
Kerins: 26 pts in 27 games in minor midget (GTHL so no stats were kept, just submitted by the coach after the season, I bet he had way more than this)
Hayton: 73 points in 59 games in minor midget
Frost: 30 goals in 32 games in minor midget (55 pts)

Mignosa: only 9 goals in 32 games in minor midget (20 pts)
Allard: only 12 goals in 37 games in minor midget (27 pts) and only 5 goals and 18 points in 31 games the year before

The 4 examples you used all scored at an elite rate before OHL. Mignosa/Allard both did not. It's happened before, but it's definitely rare a forward goes from not being able to product pre-OHL to dominating OHL over a point per game

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Big offensive talent difference between MacKay, Kerins, Hayton and Frost and Mignosa/Allard though...

MacKay: 30 goals in 32 games in minor midget (46 pts)
Kerins: 26 pts in 27 games in minor midget (GTHL so no stats were kept, just submitted by the coach after the season, I bet he had way more than this)
Hayton: 73 points in 59 games in minor midget
Frost: 30 goals in 32 games in minor midget (55 pts)

Mignosa: only 9 goals in 32 games in minor midget (20 pts)
Allard: only 12 goals in 37 games in minor midget (27 pts) and only 5 goals and 18 points in 31 games the year before

The 4 examples you used all scored at an elite rate before OHL. Mignosa/Allard both did not. It's happened before, but it's definitely rare a forward goes from not being able to product pre-OHL to dominating OHL over a point per game

mignosa was an underage with those stats, if he had a real u16 i bet his production would project better, but agree on others.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with Allard. I don't have the benefit of viewing most of these kids in minor midget, but watching him last year he certainly didn't look like a 7th rounder. From what I can tell he has all the tools, and is already putting them all together. I am basing my projection on my viewings of him last season.

Now, he was somewhat sheltered last season playing on the 3rd line. Maybe he struggles more against stiffer competition when elevated to top 6. But I can definitely see him having a breakout year. He should get every opportunity unless McGroarty reports and pushes him down the depth chart.

Reactions: howlman

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
what the greyhounds have not done in the past and for a long time now is trade there overage
players or 19 year old impact players at the deadline when they reasonably haven't had a chance
to making a deep run. Raftis has been reluctant to trade away high end players at the deadline
to set himself up for the years to follow. That may be his only downfall. At some point you have
to realize your team is not good enough in one particular year so knowing the ontario hockey league
is cyclical where you should be able to compete for a championship at least once every 3-4 years,
he doesn't allow himself to accumulate draft picks and or young talent so they become impact
players when they reach 19.

Reactions: DWI Dale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad