SSM Greyhounds Off-season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So who is everyone looking forward to seeing back on the ice the most? I am high on Allard and Carlisle, and would love to see Landon Miller get a shot although they might decide he will develop better in junior A somewhere this year.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
So who is everyone looking forward to seeing back on the ice the most? I am high on Allard and Carlisle, and would love to see Landon Miller get a shot although they might decide he will develop better in junior A somewhere this year.
Landon Miller is my pick. For Rafits to take a goalie that high he must be really convinced that he's a game changing talent. This regime has never assigned much value to goaltending and it's been their Achilles heel.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hookey and Carlisle heading to Flames Development camp
So it looks like the complete list for development camp attendees from the current roster is as follows:
Owen Allard ('04) - Ottawa Senators, free agent
Caeden Carlisle ('04) - Calgary Flames, free agent
Landon Hookey ('04) - Calgary Flames, free agent
Bryce McConnell-Barker ('04) - New York Rangers, drafted
Tyler Savard ('03) - Philadelphia Flyers, free agent

Kirill Kudryavtsev ('04) was not at Vancouver Canucks development camp, but was drafted by them.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I've been following this hockey canada stuff real closely and it's become hard to not assume Boris Katchouk has a day of reckoning in his future. The moment I heard of the incident I thought back to Boris' reputation as having a problem with alcoholism, and the longer this goes without hearing from him, it's hard not to fear the worst.

Anybody else been thinking the same?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i agree. compared to the other statements denying involvement, boris did not make such a statement.

“Boris has fully cooperated with the Hockey Canada investigation and will continue to provide that cooperation in any further investigation. Beyond this statement we are not commenting further.”

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Both Katchouk and Raddysh are implicated.
I said it back then, I will say it again. The Hounds struggles throughout that playoff run and the loss to the Bulldogs in the finals had nothing to do about talent. It was all off-ice.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Let's chat a little bit about our weakness at LW.

I will start by talking about RW.
Watson ('02) - 5th round
Mignosa ('05) - 2nd round
Cloutier ('05) - 1st round
Hookey ('04) - 9th round
Our RW are pretty decent for a rebuilding team. Mignosa was looking real good and should build on his excellent rookie season and Watson I should produce over a point per game. Also, we have Kostov ('06), a 3rd rounder pushing for a spot, as well as Nordh ('05) our Import pick this past draft who although is a left shot, apparently prefers to play on the right side. Good ('05) was taken in the first round of the U18 draft as well.

Let's look at C.
McConnell-Barker ('04) - 1st round
Allard ('04) - 7th round
D'Intino ('03) - 4th round
Brown ('06) - 1st round
Our C are perhaps not quite as strong as our RW, but will hopefully manage on a rebuilding team. Both '04 pivots had good season, although might struggle early against top competition. Waiting in the wings are two '06 prospects - Vader (5th round) and Brentnell (6th round). Doubtful either make this year's team. We also have a 17 year old 8th rounder (Campbell).

Now LW.
Savard ('03) - 11th round
McMullen ('02) - 15th round
Montroy ('05) - 3rd round
Anselmini ('03) - 3rd round
This group needs lots of help. I am not convinced that Anselmini is an OHL player, but I am also not sure who might push for his spot on the roster. Montroy had a tough year battling injury. McMullen has had opportunity to earn top 6 minutes and up to this point in his career has been unable to stick there. Savard will likely settle into his role as top line LW, but this group needs help. Not much help here from our prospects pool either. Either a 16 year old 7th rounder (Tavares), or 17 year old 10+ rounders (Clattenburg/ Corte/ Shore/ Paddington).

Should be an interesting year.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Both Katchouk and Raddysh are implicated.
I said it back then, I will say it again. The Hounds struggles throughout that playoff run and the loss to the Bulldogs in the finals had nothing to do about talent. It was all off-ice.
Although I do agree with your statement in part, I will disagree if you think that is the only reason.

We lost because we relied too heavily on a few individual players. We lost because we were built for 4-0 series sweeps that were weighted in our favour by lopsided scores and not a gruelling 6/7 game series of tight-checking, physical hockey. To both of those points, I would suggest that the reason why we lost was largely because we were out coached and out managed on a lot of fronts.

If wanting to link the two, maybe one could include off-ice behaviour and player control as an aspect of how we were bested by another team’s coaching and management but I wouldn’t agree with was all off-ice.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Although I do agree with your statement in part, I will disagree if you think that is the only reason.

We lost because we relied too heavily on a few individual players. We lost because we were built for 4-0 series sweeps that were weighted in our favour by lopsided scores and not a gruelling 6/7 game series of tight-checking, physical hockey. To both of those points, I would suggest that the reason why we lost was largely because we were out coached and out managed on a lot of fronts.

If wanting to link the two, maybe one could include off-ice behaviour and player control as an aspect of how we were bested by another team’s coaching and management but I wouldn’t agree with was all off-ice.
I agree with a lot of this. I also think there could have been some off ice issues but a BIG problem was the same as this year. Multiple legit Western Conf teams beating the hell out of each other while most of the East turned out to just be pretenders giving the Eastern Conf team a much easier ride to the Finals. That being said....Hamilton did suffer a lot of significant injuries late in the playoffs this year.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I agree with a lot of this. I also think there could have been some off ice issues but a BIG problem was the same as this year. Multiple legit Western Conf teams beating the hell out of each other while most of the East turned out to just be pretenders giving the Eastern Conf team a much easier ride to the Finals. That being said....Hamilton did suffer a lot of significant injuries late in the playoffs this year.
It's been the same thing for a long time. The West has has been better than the East head to head for at least 20 consecutive years now.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
I've been following this hockey canada stuff real closely and it's become hard to not assume Boris Katchouk has a day of reckoning in his future. The moment I heard of the incident I thought back to Boris' reputation as having a problem with alcoholism, and the longer this goes without hearing from him, it's hard not to fear the worst.

Anybody else been thinking the same?
His name was the first thing I thought of when hearing this stuff. Hoping it isn't so but he wasn't the most well behaved.

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Holding people accountable isnt the worst thing in the world, even if they played for the Jr Hockey team you like... Just saying
Rumours and speculation is what I dislike. We have seen it way too often in this thread of late with Tynan most recently, and we see how that often ends. We don't have the information. We have snippets of incomplete information neatly packaged for the public's short attention spans to generate the most clicks. Regardless how little faith you have that the powers that be will do a proper investigation instead of yet again sweeping it under the rug, recognize that they have much more information than the general public does.

Holding people accountable is what happens after the judgement is rendered. Not before.

Reactions: shot caller

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
we don't have the information because Hockey Canada buried it. lol.

i don't think it's an unrealistic leap of judgement to assume Boris Katchouk is involved in this controversy at this point given all the "snippets" of information that are readily available.

but i can also walk and chew gum at the same time and appreciate the Miller signing. i'm excited to see a highly touted goalie prospect in the system. let's hope he can become one of the OHL's best tendys. it's been too long since we had a dominant player at the position.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I believe that posters in a publicly available forum have a responsibility, and there is a line that I try not to cross. If it turns out to be confirmed true, post about it then. It's not about walking and chewing.

Reputations have been tarnished needlessly in the past.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I believe that posters in a publicly available forum have a responsibility, and there is a line that I try not to cross. If it turns out to be confirmed true, post about it then. It's not about walking and chewing.

Reputations have been tarnished needlessly in the past.

This kind of archaic thinking is what pushes sexual assaults into the shadows. Boris tarnished his own reputation while he was a player here. That's why nobody is surprised that he is one of the few who haven't denied involvement. As a fan I believe my responsibility is to the victim of the sexual assault, not the players who are allegedly involved.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We have a responsibility to both. Please bear in mind, I am not out here defending players for alleged action. In private conversations you will find me much more likely to speak my mind on this subject. I am simply waiting for a verdict from the governing body before publicly lambasting someone on a forum.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
We have a responsibility to both. Please bear in mind, I am not out here defending players for alleged action. In private conversations you will find me much more likely to speak my mind on this subject. I am simply waiting for a verdict from the governing body before publicly lambasting someone on a forum.
The governing body has lost all credibility for me. The last 2 days of live parliamentary committee has been the final nail in the coffin. Hockey Canada needs to be torn down from the bottom up.

Reactions: three dog night

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The governing body has lost all credibility for me. The last 2 days of live parliamentary committee has been the final nail in the coffin. Hockey Canada needs to be torn down from the bottom up.
Strawman. Sure the governing body has major problems.

But that doesn't mean we should be jumping to conclusions when we are still just at the allegations stage.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
The governing body has no credibility in handling sexual abuse. That is not a logical fallacy. Hockey Canada had the opportunity to get to the bottom of this and chose to make a payout and have the victim sign an NDA, effectively sweeping it under the rug. It is also being further demonstrated right now in real-time if you care to watch the committee. Scott Smith et al need to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad