SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Dubas has shown himself to have a good eye for talent and surrounding himself with others who do as well. At the OHL that is far and away the most important aspect of the GM's job. Since players are in the league for such a short time, drafting is far more important than in a league like the NHL (still important, but many other aspects increase in importance there).

If you want to be a perennial contender in the OHL, you need to draft well every year. The rest is gravy. If Dubas was here but without Keefe, I have no doubt he would have success.

I agree. Keefe was a good coach, but wasn't the reason we had success, in fact I thought he was outcoached vs Erie in the semi-finals in 2015. Further to this point, our 2018 team that Dubas drafted the core for was not coached by Keefe (but came up short in the finals).

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
KEYS TO Being a very good GM in OHL.
1. Drafting
2. Putting a good coach behind the bench
3. evaluating your league and especially your own team to know when to make a run or sell.

I think #3 is the biggest question mark for Raftis. He has either overvalued the strength of our teams since 2018 or has possibly been given a mandate by management to prioritize annual playoff revenue over rebuilding.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Another quiet day, so hope folks don’t mind me sharing these…

> I still find in funny that back in 1974, there was a player, Willie Wing, and he played right wing, for the Hamilton Red Wings.

> Dale McCourt. Broke into the league with Sudbury as a 15-year-old with Sudbury Wolves.

I noticed last on Hockey DB the nephew of George Armstrong finished a decent NHL career with 194 goals.
Glancing at his junior stats with Sudbury and Hamilton, well, something caught my eye.

So I added up his OHA-OMJHL goals, and the total?

Stay cool, everyone. We’re in the midst of a heat wave and (not uncommon) June drought.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree. Keefe was a good coach, but wasn't the reason we had success, in fact I thought he was outcoached vs Erie in the semi-finals in 2015. Further to this point, our 2018 team that Dubas drafted the core for was not coached by Keefe (but came up short in the finals).
Keefe turned the hounds around imo, nothing was going right for Dubas until his bold and probably best decision of his career hiring Keefe.
Keefe may have been out coached by Knoblauch. Knoblauch may have been the best coach in the league at that time.

With all the experience gained and contacts made since, I’m sure Dubas would be very good in the OHL. His ability to recruit would probably be an advantage over many teams.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Keefe turned the hounds around imo, nothing was going right for Dubas until his bold and probably best decision of his career hiring Keefe.
Keefe may have been out coached by Knoblauch. Knoblauch may have been the best coach in the league at that time.

With all the experience gained and contacts made since, I’m sure Dubas would be very good in the OHL. His ability to recruit would probably be an advantage over many teams.

also worth mentioning Dubas was only as good as his staff. Guys like Wes Clark and Victor Carneiro are greatly missed in hound town. Scouting/drafting has not been the same since 2018.

Last edited:

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Wonder who we see as assistant coach?

I personally know one person who has put their name in, but will keep the name off the forums for now.

Will be interesting to see what happens..

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Brock Otten just released a 3 post series on his top 50 OHLers for the NHL draft this summer. There is another thread on it, but I wanted to highlight the two Greyhounds on the list, Andrew Gibson and Marco Mignosa.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Saginaw is really acquiring picks. gonna be hard to beat them in a 7 game series if they already have a better team than us AND they load up with all these picks as currency. hope the hounds brass realize this and sell this year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
mmmmm.

Remember they have Misa for at least 2 more seasons, so are unlikely to empty the cupboards this season. But yes, they are certainly a team to watch.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
And they'll need another goalie.
They'll acquire what they need to. They seem to be making the right deals at this point to set themselves up.

I would be in the mindset that they need to go for it this year at all costs.

Reactions: dirty12

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I'd imagine they'll go all in and recoup assets in Misa's last year unless they look like a contender. I'd think trading a guy like Misa could be a longshot but imagine the return if they moved him at the deadline in his final year if he winds up being the generational player he could be.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
My bad, somehow completely forgot they are hosting. Duh.

Hehe.

I'd imagine they'll go all in and recoup assets in Misa's last year unless they look like a contender. I'd think trading a guy like Misa could be a longshot but imagine the return if they moved him at the deadline in his final year if he winds up being the generational player he could be.

Could you imagine if Brady Martin has a better year next year than Misa.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad