Dreger: Speculation that Panarin asking price is just over $12 million a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It opens up too many legal and ethical questions. Who "owns" cloned Gretzky? What does society do with cloned Gretzky? How long to teach the clone the game of hockey again?

Not to mention the effect of creating an unintended arms race... now you have someone make Droid Gretzky to counter Clone Gretzky!

As Islander fan, I have no problem with them paying Panarin 12 mil on 7 years.

It’s 7 years of 8-10 to Bob that makes me nervous.

Reactions: Quicklime

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
good riddance to the dumb a** imbecile who gives this russian millions over what he deserves. Yashin written all over it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The NHL lets the Devils off the hook for Kovalchuk and now they're courting another Russian winger asking for a ridiculous long-term deal? Mhmmmm.
Your personal Cold War seems to be perfectly well, sir.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
It opens up too many legal and ethical questions. Who "owns" cloned Gretzky? What does society do with cloned Gretzky? How long to teach the clone the game of hockey again?
The Boys From Branford.
(with apologies to Ira Levin)

In 2019 after being released from his contract from Hockey Night in Canada, An angry Don Cherry escapes to Branford, Ontario.
Along with a team of disgraced Genetic Scientists who are based in an unknown northern Ontario location and with their desire to clone 20 copies of the “Great One “ and puts them up for adoption with families who have the same backstory of a 1960’s Gretzky family life in order to prove once and for all that Ontarian's are the worlds best ice hockey’s players.

Eh, it’s a work in progress.

Reactions: Avsboy and Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
The Boys From Branford.
(with apologies to Ira Levin)

In 2019 after being released from his contract from Hockey Night in Canada, An angry Don Cherry escapes to Branford, Ontario.
Along with a team of disgraced Genetic Scientists who are based in an unknown northern Ontario location and with their desire to clone 20 copies of the “Great One “ and puts them up for adoption with families who have the same backstory of a 1960’s Gretzky family life in order to prove once and for all that Ontarian's are the worlds best ice hockey’s players.

Eh, it’s a work in progress.

I knew that i heard such a premis before only with hitler.
googled it (after i googled Ira levin and found nothing) and you see he made that book :D

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
NYI was offering JT 13 ish mil. I have no problem w NYI investing 12-13 in Panarin. If that’s what it takes, so be it. It’s rare that a player of this caliber hits the market; Carpe Diem.

For what it’s worth, Panarin is the better overall player than JT; so more reason to overpay for AP.

Reactions: Quicklime

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
good riddance to the dumb a** imbecile who gives this russian millions over what he deserves. Yashin written all over it.
Panarin is way more focused and well-rounded than Yashin. He's also more driven, consistent, and conscious of his fitness. That said, $12 million cap hit is a little too much for him. He should be paid $11 at the most, like Tavares. I actually think Panarin is as good, and even more talented than, Tavares TBH. But in this cap climate 12 is too steep for anyone not named Connor McDavid. Even Matthews and Kucherov don't make 12. Ideally, 10.5 x 6, but a team might need to go 7 years on a contract.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
There's an important variable re: Panarin and the Isles: it's not Lou who will offer him $12 million. It would be Malkin, the owner who over the next few years is building a new arena and developing the property surrounding it. His business is real estate (his family owns the Empire State Building among other things) and specifically for him it's mainly high-end retail "shopping villages" (his one outside London is the most successful in the world). He's developing one at Belmont adjacent to the arena. He's very big into marketing and the entertainment experience re: all of this.

I'm sure Malkin wants to go big and sees Panarin (and Bob) as guys who can help the team but also help his billion plus dollar project. I don't think he's going to stay up at night because Garrett from Brantford on HF thinks he overpaid Panarin by $10 million over 7 years. ;)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Where’s the drive when you sign these 7-8 year deals? 4-5 years and then sign another deal for more is ideal for both parties involved.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Asking 12M....Will get 10M....Lockout incoming! :laugh:

And don't get me wrong.... These players should be getting paid a lot of money. Look at all the other major sports.....

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Panarin is way more focused and well-rounded than Yashin. He's also more driven, consistent, and conscious of his fitness. That said, $12 million cap hit is a little too much for him. He should be paid $11 at the most, like Tavares. I actually think Panarin is as good, and even more talented than, Tavares TBH. But in this cap climate 12 is too steep for anyone not named Connor McDavid. Even Matthews and Kucherov don't make 12. Ideally, 10.5 x 6, but a team might need to go 7 years on a contract.

Rangers need to stick to 7 x11 or let him walk

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
There's an important variable re: Panarin and the Isles: it's not Lou who will offer him $12 million. It would be Malkin, the owner who over the next few years is building a new arena and developing the property surrounding it. His business is real estate (his family owns the Empire State Building among other things) and specifically for him it's mainly high-end retail "shopping villages" (his one outside London is the most successful in the world). He's developing one at Belmont adjacent to the arena. He's very big into marketing and the entertainment experience re: all of this.

I'm sure Malkin wants to go big and sees Panarin (and Bob) as guys who can help the team but also help his billion plus dollar project. I don't think he's going to stay up at night because Garrett from Brantford on HF thinks he overpaid Panarin by $10 million over 7 years. ;)

Salary.

Cap.

Malkin can be the most brilliant marketer this side of John Wanamaker or David Ogilvy but in the NHL he can't exceed the cap.

Panarin is a great, exciting player, but paying him $12 mil cap hit limits the Isles from icing a well rounded Cup contender around him, longterm.

So yes, can the owner tell his general manager that he wants to add some talent? Sure. And when the general manager tells him that he's overpaying for an asset and that it will hurt the team long-term, how does the owner respond? You think a good owner, who's knowledge base is real estate, is going to completely disregard his GMs feedback and overpay by approx. a $2 mil cap x 7?

The money itself isn't the issue, it's the lack of cap flexibility after paying a player like Panarin McDavid-type money that's the issue.

Paying Panarin more than Matthews, etc. is flat out fiscally irresponsible and risks of desperation. And that doesn't seem to fit the profile of the owner you just laid out.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Salary.

Cap.

Malkin can be the most brilliant marketer this side of John Wanamaker or David Ogilvy but in the NHL he can't exceed the cap.

Panarin is a great, exciting player, but paying him $12 mil cap hit limits the Isles from icing a well rounded Cup contender around him, longterm.

So yes, can the owner tell his general manager that he wants to add some talent? Sure. And when the general manager tells him that he's overpaying for an asset and that it will hurt the team long-term, how does the owner respond? You think a good owner, who's knowledge base is real estate, is going to completely disregard his GMs feedback and overpay by approx. a $2 mil cap x 7?

The money itself isn't the issue, it's the lack of cap flexibility after paying a player like Panarin McDavid-type money that's the issue.

Paying Panarin more than Matthews, etc. is flat out fiscally irresponsible and risks of desperation. And that doesn't seem to fit the profile of the owner you just laid out.

So when the Isles offered JT around the same amount, it was OK for the Isles to do that because he was the franchise player. Yet when Panarin who most of us agree is probably the better player is available, it is a desperation move to offer him a similar amount????

Reactions: FeatherHead

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Asking 12M....Will get 10M....Lockout incoming! :laugh:

And don't get me wrong.... These players should be getting paid a lot of money. Look at all the other major sports.....

There was a lock out coming anyways. This is the way the NHL does business, it's why Bettman is the face of the league. How can you hate the owners and players when you can blame Bettman for their greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad