Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, I mean... Calgary doesn't need to pick up Jonathan Bernier. Given the salaries on board our team, and given that Bernier is a good young goalie whose contract expires next off season, we probably won't be able to afford the raise he will earn by next off-season. So we'll have paid assets for a year of Bernier, and the we'll have to flip him and let our younger goalies take over. Besides that, it puts us right back to having three goalies, and doesn't solve the issue that makes a Hiller trade worthwhile in the first place.

On the other side, Bernier is one of Toronto's most valuable pieces in terms of the trade market. He might be second only to Phaneuf, and he could even be further ahead. If they were intending to cash in on his value rather than keep him, they would've done so at the draft, when there were numerous goalie jobs looking to be filled, and when some teams were offering very good returns for goalies. Bernier would have been the most valuable goalie available if they had decided to make him so. Clearly, they're planning on keeping him as a core piece going forward, and justifiably so. If they're going to trade him, it will not be for a declining goalie, a meh prospect and a 3rd.

Yeah all good points AS, can't argue that. I do really like Bernier though, I think his season last year really altered people's perception of just how good he is. But we could afford him, don't forget both Hiller and Ramo's contracts are up after next season, that's more than enough to get him resigned with ample room leftover. Ortio as his backup would not be getting a huge raise. So the only thing I disagree with is that we wouldn't keep him, but it does take 2 to tango.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Yeah all good points AS, can't argue that. I do really like Bernier though, I think his season last year really altered people's perception of just how good he is. But we could afford him, don't forget both Hiller and Ramo's contracts are up after next season, that's more than enough to get him resigned with ample room leftover. Ortio as his backup would not be getting a huge raise. So the only thing I disagree with is that we wouldn't keep him, but it does take 2 to tango.

Bernier has the potential to be one of the best goalies in the league. I love in Toronto so I see a lot of Leaf games, he'd be an upgrade on Ramo/Hiller

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bernier has the potential to be one of the best goalies in the league. I love in Toronto so I see a lot of Leaf games, he'd be an upgrade on Ramo/Hiller

I agree, but I do agree with AS, don't think it's enough to land him. I'd be stoked to get Bernier though, I think he's extremely talented.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Gaudreau-Monahan-Semin
Colborne-Bennett-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Jooris

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Wideman
Russell-Engelland

Trade Raymond and Jones

No Semin. Stop.

Also, i can't help but think Shore isn't a Flame come season opener, i just don't see where he fits.. We have too many borderline players right now, IMO Ferdaddy and Jooris are better, and Agostino/Arnold are right there too. If we could send Raymond/Shore to the Yotes for SOME sort of return, I wouldn't complain.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
No Semin. Stop.

Also, i can't help but think Shore isn't a Flame come season opener, i just don't see where he fits.. We have too many borderline players right now, IMO Ferdaddy and Jooris are better, and Agostino/Arnold are right there too. If we could send Raymond/Shore to the Yotes for SOME sort of return, I wouldn't complain.

We JUST got shore and have only seen a small sample size of him on the big team. We can't trade him away yet, I think he still has a good ceiling. Could be a great 3C or maybe top 6 forward, who knows. But I'm all down for trading Raymond. There is no room for him especially now that we have frolik, plus Ferland and Bennett probably staying the whole year up on the main club

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah we need top six guys which I don't really see available through free agency at this time.
I think we are done except a couple minor leaguers. By my math we have 2 guys too many that shouldn't be sent to the AHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh I agree I'm just saying all we really could add in would be a second line winger.
I don't think I even want to unless Jones is moved. I really like the idea of these lines:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
Colborne - Bennett - Jones
Ferland/Bollig - Stajan - Jooris/Shore

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be good with that.
I think we would see a rotation on that line. Both Jooris & Shore play C/RW, Ferland has played some RW and Bollig has proved to be valuable in games where we need to him to bang and crash. And of course with injuries Stajan, Shore and Jooris would be candidates to move up with injuries.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I think we would see a rotation on that line. Both Jooris & Shore play C/RW, Ferland has played some RW and Bollig has proved to be valuable in games where we need to him to bang and crash. And of course with injuries Stajan, Shore and Jooris would be candidates to move up with injuries.

Yeah I actually really liked when Jooris was getting some top 6 minutes. Obviously we have better options for top 6 now but I wouldn't mind seeing him be tried on the second line RW

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So how would you guys feel about dealing Wideman for Wingels. Granted we signed Frolik, but he can also play LW or Hudler could.

Frolik - Bennett - Colborne
Bouma - Backlund - Wingels
Ferland - Stajan - Jones
Jooris
Byron

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So how would you guys feel about dealing Wideman for Wingels. Granted we signed Frolik, but he can also play LW or Hudler could.

Frolik - Bennett - Colborne
Bouma - Backlund - Wingels
Ferland - Stajan - Jones
Jooris
Byron
Pass, it's adding more of what we already have.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah gonna have to agree with 100TG here. IF, big if, we trade Wides, it's got to be for a young-ish sniping winger.
Some guys I'd have in mind would be:
Skinner, CAR; he's had his health issues, but when fully healthy he's a scoring threat.
JVR, TOR; He's big, got soft hands and can pass the puck too, granted he needs more consistency and be more physical but he's the right age and Burke knows him.
Boedker, ARI; he's pretty underrated and can score, question now is if Maloney is willing to trade him.

just some names all of whom I'd be interested in acquiring and who could be available.

Buchanan*

Yeah gonna have to agree with 100TG here. IF, big if, we trade Wides, it's got to be for a young-ish sniping winger.
Some guys I'd have in mind would be:
Skinner, CAR; he's had his health issues, but when fully healthy he's a scoring threat.
JVR, TOR; He's big, got soft hands and can pass the puck too, granted he needs more consistency and be more physical but he's the right age and Burke knows him.
Boedker, ARI; he's pretty underrated and can score, question now is if Maloney is willing to trade him.

just some names all of whom I'd be interested in acquiring and who could be available.

LOL. All three teams hang up rather quickly unless there's a big + on our end

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Depending on how arbitration goes with Boedker Arizona might look to get something for him if he wants out anyways. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
All 3 of those teams are in rebuilds Gamo, don't think they want Wideman, the Yotes might though..

Skinner's a possibility, actually, but man that dude's made out of paper these days... And if he thought playing in Raleigh was heavy, welcome to the Pacific. Also, that contract... We wouldn't be able to keep him and have the rest of our team, he's making too big of bucks.

The only thing I could see Wideman being part of, is if we're also tossing in a good prospect or two back, and letting the rebuilding team use those + Wideman's return to get more assets. Know what I mean?

We trade Wideman + package (including some picks, some prospects) for good winger; the rebuilding team in turn uses the package to rebuild and swings Wideman for more assets come deadline. Only way I see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium