Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
He's big C/W, slot him with Bennett and watch the Jimmies get rustled.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Frolik
Hudler-Bennett-Backes

That's a legit top 6, with the scoring being spread quite evenly.
Or run 3 lines:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Hudler-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Backes

If Backes was brough in, it would be to play 2C. You don't put a 6'3 - 225lb RHS C, who's well above 50% in the FO circle at wing. (Though, I guess that would solve some RW issues... Either way, he'd be our best/biggest face-off centre.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
If we'd ever trade for Backes, I'd like to see:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backes-Frolik
Ferland-Backlund-Colborne

Aug 21, 2014
If Backes was brough in, it would be to play 2C. You don't put a 6'3 - 225lb RHS C, who's well above 50% in the FO circle at wing. (Though, I guess that would solve some RW issues... Either way, he'd be our best/biggest face-off centre.

Agreed, alternating between them. He'd be our #1 PK'er, and help puck possession.

A PK of:

Bouma-Backes

Frolik-Backlund

:amazed:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
If we'd ever trade for Backes, I'd like to see:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backes-Frolik
Ferland-Backlund-Colborne

Ya, those look great. If Treliving decided he wanted to spend assets on a big 2C, I hope it's J. Staal. Perfect age, size, and offensive ability. He would be the ideal 2C on this team!

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Thank you! I've seen him missing from most rosters on here and remember him being a solid guy as buffalo is looking for a left shot D

You could have him for a 4th/5th. I'd much rather see him play 4/5/6 minutes than a pressboxer on Calgary. He's best when playing with a mobile defenseman, so a Smid-Pysyk pairing is ideal.

Buchanan*

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Joe Colborne
Sam Bennett - David Backes - Jiri Hudler
Michael Ferland - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik

3 waves of offense will be tough for the opposition to contend with

Also, the Mikey line ;)

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Just looked around at other team's depth charts. I think we are stuck with Hiller until an injury happens early in the regular season.

Need to get rid of Raymond so shore doesn't go on waivers. I think Florida needs some forward depth. I propose:

Raymond, 2016 4th for Shawn Thornton, 2016 6th

We then buy out thornton's last year or send him to Stockton for veteran leadership. We give up better draft pick due to Florida taking on rest of Raymond's contract.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Ya, those look great. If Treliving decided he wanted to spend assets on a big 2C, I hope it's J. Staal. Perfect age, size, and offensive ability. He would be the ideal 2C on this team!
Until Bennett supplants him and he's back to being a #3 like on Pittsburgh.

I'd love Jordan but I think we've looked at the options of getting him and he doesn't come cheap for a short period of time. Maybe if Bennett does get moved to the wing long term it'd be great to try to snag him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's big C/W, slot him with Bennett and watch the Jimmies get rustled.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Frolik
Hudler-Bennett-Backes

That's a legit top 6, with the scoring being spread quite evenly.
Or run 3 lines:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Hudler-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Backes

As I was saying..

He's 31 years old.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Interesting seeing what Washington paid to land Oshie.

Is that not a similar return as Jones + Granlund + 2016 3rd? Jones even seems like a St. Louis type player

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Gaudreau-Monahan-Semin
Colborne-Bennett-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Jooris

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Wideman
Russell-Engelland

Trade Raymond and Jones

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Interesting seeing what Washington paid to land Oshie.

Is that not a similar return as Jones + Granlund + 2016 3rd? Jones even seems like a St. Louis type player

Ortio is a much better prospect actually. It'd be like if we still had Broissoit or the guy we got in the trade for him.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Ortio is a much better prospect actually. It'd be like if we still had Broissoit or the guy we got in the trade for him.
Yeah obviously we don't have a goalie prospect to spare to actually compare to the deal. But middle six winger, C/B level prospect & 3rd... I would have given that for Oshie I think. Though salaries don't really jive

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I'd pass. I don't think Bernier carries that much more value than Hiller. Take out tspoon and I might give it a second thought

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think it's that bad a proposal. However, I'd only do it if it didn't look like we had anything in the pipeline that was NHL quality. Right now we have 3 quality guys in the pipeline developing though. So I'd pass.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
:laugh: Do you mean it's so bad, it's so good?

No, I mean... Calgary doesn't need to pick up Jonathan Bernier. Given the salaries on board our team, and given that Bernier is a good young goalie whose contract expires next off season, we probably won't be able to afford the raise he will earn by next off-season. So we'll have paid assets for a year of Bernier, and the we'll have to flip him and let our younger goalies take over. Besides that, it puts us right back to having three goalies, and doesn't solve the issue that makes a Hiller trade worthwhile in the first place.

On the other side, Bernier is one of Toronto's most valuable pieces in terms of the trade market. He might be second only to Phaneuf, and he could even be further ahead. If they were intending to cash in on his value rather than keep him, they would've done so at the draft, when there were numerous goalie jobs looking to be filled, and when some teams were offering very good returns for goalies. Bernier would have been the most valuable goalie available if they had decided to make him so. Clearly, they're planning on keeping him as a core piece going forward, and justifiably so. If they're going to trade him, it will not be for a declining goalie, a meh prospect and a 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad