Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And it's worth mentioning that in that case, MacDonald was waived with the intention of having him claimed, because Detroit agreed to let him have an opportunity elsewhere, IIRC.
Oh definitely, there was no doubt he was waived knowing we would claim him. Them wanting to give him a chance elsewhere and the situation we were in at the time with injuries, there was no doubt it was orchestrated.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ortio will very likely pass through waivers at the end of camp. No team is going to be going into the season without their goaltending set, to the point they will be willing to hand a rookie an NHL job right out of the gate.

A team with a 70+ game starter like Price or Rask or Quick could be willing to take a flier on Joni if they were cognizant of his little run in January. Especially when the alternative is 5'10" Jonas Enroth or a veteran career AHLer.

The possibilty that Ortio clears waivers exists. But so too does the risk that he doesn't. You can't assume it's a risk-free endeavor to expose him to waivers.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A team with a 70+ game starter like Price or Rask or Quick could be willing to take a flier on Joni if they were cognizant of his little run in January. Especially when the alternative is 5'10" Jonas Enroth or a veteran career AHLer.

The possibilty that Ortio clears waivers exists. But so too does the risk that he doesn't. You can't assume it's a risk-free endeavor to expose him to waivers.
And spit in the face of Tokarski, Subban or the newly acquired Enroth? Yeah.... okay.

Enroth may only be 5'10" but he is a legitimate NHL goaltender and isn't much older than Ortio.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There is a risk, however small it might be, in putting Ortio on waivers. There's also a chance he's one of the top two goalies in training camp forcing the Flames to keep him up, assuming neither Ramo nor Hiller are moved by then.

Lastly, I can't see Treliving, as invested in asset management and in the future as he is, risking Ortio for two pure stop gaps.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
While Ortio has a good chance of passing through waivers, it only takes 1/29 teams to claim him. It's not a risk worth taking.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Treliving won't send him down if he thinks there is a chance someone will claim him. I think they'd move Hiller before that happens.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Treliving won't send him down if he thinks there is a chance someone will claim him. I think they'd move Hiller before that happens.

I'm pretty sure Ortio can be sent down without going through waivers. He hasn't played enough games yet.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I don't think anyone in their right mind would risk it. I'd rather trade Hiller for scraps than make Ortio waiver eligible for the purpose of sending him down.

I fully believe we are still a deal or two away from the start of the season, I don't think Treliving will want three goalies, and I don't think that he'll want this kind of glut at forward. I feel that as training camp goes on; we will see him move a forward who lost a job.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Good to know. Either way we won't be putting him on waivers. That would be insane. He won 2/3 of his games in the AHL last two seasons. The team is sub 500 when he didn't play...
Barry Brust & Danny Thomas were top AHL goaltenders too, look where he was. The ADK Flames were a bad team because they were extremely inexperienced, someone of us said that was the case from day 1. Ortio is a good goaltender but being a good goaltender does not save you from waivers at the end of camp. As things stand Ortio will definitely be placed on waivers unless a move is made involving Hiller or Ramo.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Barry Brust & Danny Thomas were top AHL goaltenders too, look where he was. The ADK Flames were a bad team because they were extremely inexperienced, someone of us said that was the case from day 1. Ortio is a good goaltender but being a good goaltender does not save you from waivers at the end of camp. As things stand Ortio will definitely be placed on waivers unless a move is made involving Hiller or Ramo.

Ortio just stole games for us at the NHL level last year.... He's been the most consistent goalie in the AHL the past two seasons. Pretty much universally considered Abbotsford's best player the past two years.

Hiller will be waived before Ortio. Book it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ortio just stole games for us at the NHL level last year.... He's been the most consistent goalie in the AHL the past two seasons. Pretty much universally considered Abbotsford's best player the past two years.

Maybe nobody will be waived. If the Flames seriously can't work out a trade (which I doubt will be the case) I would guess they'd just carry three goalies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Leland Irving stole a couple games at the NHL level too, Jim Carrey won a Vezina trophy. Small sample sizes mean very little.

I am also not saying things won't change, just saying as it stand Ortio would be the odd man out. And suggesting Hiller will be waived before Ortio is complete and utter lunacy.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Leland Irving stole a couple games at the NHL level too, Jim Carrey won a Vezina trophy. Small sample sizes mean very little.

I am also not saying things won't change, just saying as it stand Ortio would be the odd man out. And suggesting Hiller will be waived before Ortio is complete and utter lunacy.

But... but he said "book it". That's serious business.

I'd be interested to know what teams might claim him and would keep him on the roster all season. Can't be many.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Small sample sizes mean very little. I agree. But that doesn't mean he becomes the Next Carrey.

In fact, when you look at his larger sample size he is one of the best goalies in the AHL. Winning 2/3s of his starts on an average team. Winning player of the year both times if I'm not mistaken.

Also, looking at large sample sizes, Hiller is proven to be at best a mediocre starter. Who hasn't had the faith of his head coach in at least 3 years.

Half the teams in the NHL don't have goalie prospects as good as Ortio. Waivers = goodbye Joni.

But I guess you are fine with him going on Waivers and getting picked up by the Oilers and watch him be Kipper 2.0... For the Oilers.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Small sample sizes mean very little. I agree. But that doesn't mean he becomes the Next Carrey.

In fact, when you look at his larger sample size he is one of the best goalies in the AHL. Winning 2/3s of his starts on an average team. Winning player of the year both times if I'm not mistaken.

Also, looking at large sample sizes, Hiller is proven to be at best a mediocre starter. Who hasn't had the faith of his head coach in at least 3 years.

Half the teams in the NHL don't have goalie prospects as good as Ortio. Waivers = goodbye Joni.

But I guess you are fine with him going on Waivers and getting picked up by the Oilers and watch him be Kipper 2.0... For the Oilers.
You do realize this "large sample size" in the AHL you speak of is a mere 74 games. Hartley also has full faith in Hiller, he had alternated between Hiller and Ramo all season, no shock he continued in the playoffs.

When it comes to goaltending prospects, Ortio is actually quite average. Most teams have a goaltending prospect that is better. He is one of the most overrated prospects we have.

And why would the Oilers take him? Sure he is an upgrade on their prospects but they still have Scrivens and Talbot. They can't afford to gift Ortio a roster spot.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
People also seem to be forgetting that while Ortio had a good AHL season, he had a pretty awful training camp before that.

It would suck to lose him, but I don't think Ortio will ever be a top half starter. Could surprise but I see a Enroth like goalie out of him. Good, but nothing special and never the ideal solution, but you can run with him for a while. In other words a great backup

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hes still young though for a goaltender, I think he shows pretty good promise and it would suck to lose him for nothing.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It would be astonishingly poor asset management to lose a potential starter for one year of Ramo and Hiller. Just can't see Treliving being that myopic.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It would be astonishingly poor asset management to lose a potential starter for one year of Ramo and Hiller. Just can't see Treliving being that myopic.
I called it a couple months ago that I felt like we would see both Ramo & Hiller back with Ortio being waived. Why did I feel this way? Because I don't think that Ortio is a future starter and I don't think that Treliving does either.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Saw an interesting stat today (won't say where). Byron is, statistically speaking, our best penalty-killer. He not only suppresses shot attempts the best, if you subscribe to that sort of thing, but over the past three years, when he's been on the ice in 4-on-5 situations, the Flames have scored 1 SHG for every 2 PPGs against. I hope he has a spot in the opening night lineup.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
That's the point though, its unlikely We'd lose him to waivers in the spring mass waiver exodus. I know he had a poor season going into camp last year, but if Maelstrom cleared last year I see no reason that Ortio wouldn't this year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Saw an interesting stat today (won't say where). Byron is, statistically speaking, our best penalty-killer. He not only suppresses shot attempts the best, if you subscribe to that sort of thing, but over the past three years, when he's been on the ice in 4-on-5 situations, the Flames have scored 1 SHG for every 2 PPGs against. I hope he has a spot in the opening night lineup.

That's awesome! He really is an underrated guy. There's a reason why Hartley has nothing by praise for Paul, he gives it all every shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad