Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
From what I understood, during Gio's injury last year that defensive depth was big concern. While Marleau might have better value than Wideman, I think Flames shouldnt trade any top-4 defencemen away before some of the younger guys show if they have developed etc.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
A Sharks fan suggested this and I like it for both teams.

Marleau for Wideman

I strongly dislike this.

Don't get me wrong, player for player the value is there, but as a 35-year-old, Marleau is due for a drop-off in production/ability very soon. Probably too soon for it to matter for the Flames, we're not contenders yet.

I would much rather deal Wideman for futures as it would fit better with the team's long term plan. Would also like to hang on to him as well, until one (or more) of our prospects show that they're ready for the NHL.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I strongly dislike this.

Don't get me wrong, player for player the value is there, but as a 35-year-old, Marleau is due for a drop-off in production/ability very soon. Probably too soon for it to matter for the Flames, we're not contenders yet.

I would much rather deal Wideman for futures as it would fit better with the team's long term plan. Would also like to hang on to him as well, until one (or more) of our prospects show that they're ready for the NHL.

But with a top six of Monahan, Gaudreau, Hudler, Bennett, Marleau, and Frolik, and with our current defensive core, would we not be contenders?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
But with a top six of Monahan, Gaudreau, Hudler, Bennett, Marleau, and Frolik, and with our current defensive core, would we not be contenders?

No, because without Wideman the defensive core looks like this:

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Russell
Engelland - Smid(if returning?)/Wotherspoon/UFA plug-in

One injury to the top four and the Flames are no better off than last post-season, playing three guys to death. And keep in mind that Mark Giordano has only made it through two seasons injury-free, one of which was shortened by a lockout. Odds are pretty good he gets injured again.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I know it is likely just an oversight by the website, but Corey Potter is listed on the roster page on the Flames official site and is our only UFA that appears.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Even fitness freaks lose a step or two with age, see Iggy. The thing that scares me about a long term deal with Gio, is that he really doesn't excel in any specific area of the game. What makes him so special is that he's incredibly well rounded, seemingly without holes in his game. Gio's all about balance, where as a guy like Iggy was a prolific scorer(still one the best one timers in the game) and power forward. When his legs and physical play started to fade he could still rely on sniping goals. I'd argue that because Gio's so balanced, losing a couple steps could have serious implications to his overall game and make him look extremely mediocre.

Iggy is still one of the best power forwards in the game (not that he has much competition). Really, he’s only worse than guys like Lucic, Kane, Simmonds, Ladd, Ovechkin, Hossa, Perry, Backes, and Getzlaf.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Sure, but they have removed Schlemko

Oho maybe that means EVERYBODY’S FAVOURITE DEFENSEMAN IS BACK!

COREY POTTER, bae

lines_potter.jpg

:yo::yo::yo::propeller:propeller:joker::party: :party::joker::propeller:propeller::yo::yo::yo:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Iggy is still one of the best power forwards in the game (not that he has much competition). Really, he’s only worse than guys like Lucic, Kane, Simmonds, Ladd, Ovechkin, Hossa, Perry, Backes, and Getzlaf.

He's a shell of what he once was and Iggy making 8-9 million right now would be brutal!

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Iggy is not a power forward, and hasn't been for some years.

He's a perimeter player, and looks for one timers to score.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He didnt help the Flames winning much in his prime....why anyone would think he would be able to help them now

That's a fallacy of the highest degree. Do you really think that follows logically? :huh:

I mean, it's like saying that Ray Bourque couldn't help the Bruins win in his prime, ergo there's no way he could help the Avs win.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Iffy hasn't been a Powerford for years. He's a pure sniper, that's it now, the power flashes have became more and more rare as the years have past.. Still a useful player who's guaranteed to pot at least 25, but definitely no power forward.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Iggy is not a power forward, and hasn't been for some years.

He's a perimeter player, and looks for one timers to score.

While I agree he doesn't play a power game anymore, when I watched him with Boston (haven't really seen Colorado much the past year) he was actually very active forechecking and getting toward the slot. Not a perimeter player at all like he was his last year or two in Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad