Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I do recall from the days of AZ with Hossa/Bolland, that they ended up on the hook for 20% of the salary in terms of real money. That would probably limit the desire of CBJ to take Price's contract vs say Lehner who has 1 year and $4.5 mill in real money ($900K cash) if the same % holds for all LTIR players. Not to mention the additional term left.

Great point, Lehner seems like the easy one.

Weber is 1M real cash for 2 years so 200k per next 2 years but a real high cap hit?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Great point, Lehner seems like the easy one.

Weber is 1M real cash for 2 years so 200k per next 2 years but a real high cap hit?
They should have a plan on what they plan on doing in 2025. If they plan on spending then it doesn't make sense to acquire that contract. Or their plans depend on the development of players this season, thus best to not burden yourself with a cap hit that you may need to move next season. Especially, when there are multiple options to just meet the floor for this season.

Reactions: Indy18 and WTFMAN99

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They should have a plan on what they plan on doing in 2025. If they plan on spending then it doesn't make sense to acquire that contract. Or their plans depend on the development of players this season, thus best to not burden yourself with a cap hit that you may need to move next season. Especially, when there are multiple options to just meet the floor for this season.
If they added Weber, their cap hit would be around 72M which is still 20M below what next year's cap ceiling is expected to be (~92M).

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
This year and next, so could still be cheaper then an Evander Kane acquisition (as an example) but just throwing out ideas.

The whole point of this summer was to clean out the books...even if its a 2 year contract Waddell wants that flexability. Who knows maybe the kids have a breakout year this season and Waddell wants to go big game hunting next summer. Cap is king right now.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ownership doesn't like to pay guys to not play here. That's pretty much their one big thing when it comes to budgeting.

In many cases teams will have contract insurance on their top players. Some of these guys on LTIR, that are big dollar contracts might be a situation where the team doesn’t have to pay anything. That’s about the only way taking on a LTIR contact makes sense. Price just might be one of those. I read once that teams can insure up to six contracts.

Washington has a couple of guys who will be on LTIR this year, and they might be insured. They only have one year left, so that’s where I’d ask first.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
We love the player and anticipated a bounce back year. The contract was fine.
That's the problem, we didn't even need a "bounce back year" he still played great, he just didn't have nearly the talent around him that the Calgary team had. The next closest player in point wasn't even close to Johnny. It was the same issue both Panarin and Nash had to struggle with.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
That's the problem, we didn't even need a "bounce back year" he still played great, he just didn't have nearly the talent around him that the Calgary team had. The next closest player in point wasn't even close to Johnny. It was the same issue both Panarin and Nash had to struggle with.
All you had to see what how the points were broken down by...they were almost all primary assists...which means he got smothered on the ice and the opposing teams respected him so much essentially locked him down from setting up a scoring lane and force him to use his linemates and staying at the perimeter...which set up another set of issues where like once a week the defense (you know EXACTLY WHICH BLUELINER WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE) would then use this to break down low basically becoming offensive forward instead of Johnny to the point Johnny had to fall back and play like a defense man watching the potential breakaway since this guy would constantly do this!

I used this example a few times on our own board but its like when Lebron entered the league. The opposition respected this young kids talents so much and disrepected the rest of the team he was constantly double teamed to the point he was even triple teamed at some points.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
To answer the original question... What can they do really?

Hit the cap floor with a UFA or easy trade, trade all assets they can for something to help rebuild. Even if it's discount day. Going to be a very rough year for the Jackets, just weather the storm and make a game plan for TDL, offseason, next year.

Rough to begin with, beyond a kick in the groin.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I was just putting it in terms people who only look at stat lines and don't actually watch Jackets games could understand.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hopefully the hockey gods are on their side & they win the draft lottery for #1 pick...
That seems just right..
Did we get anything when it was our fellow fan, for the first time ever and so far since in League history?

Did we get anything when it was our owner, the loveable guy who made NHL hockey here happen by sheer force of will and always showed up but never once got to see a single playoff game?

Did we get anything when it was our goaltender, who went out making the last and best save of his career?

Why would it be any different when it's our star winger, who chose us when everyone else was going on and on about how nobody ever wants to be here?

We won't get shit. We never have. Such things don't get to happen here.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
200.webp

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
What do you think they do? What precedent is there for this in professional sports?

Just some precedent from the NHL:

Howie Morenz (1937) - Montreal Canadiens struggled and faced its hardest times. Things didn't recover for them until they got Maurice Richard to help build the team back up again.

Bill Barilko (1951) - His death marked the end of a dynasty and began what Toronto fans called the Barilko curse, in which they didn't win the cup for a decade. This wasn't the worst for the fans (the Ballard years were to come two decades later.) The Barilko Curse was worsened by the departure of Frank Selke in 1946. If you wanted to say that there was a replacement in the wing, it was perhaps Tim Horton.

Pelle Lindbergh (1984) - The Flyers had a strong defensive core and was able to keep themselves in contention but their team development brought up future star Ron Hextall to be a commendable replacement the next season.

Reactions: Dog

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
It's a terrible tragedy, and very unfortunate for the Blue Jackets organization.

As it sits right now, they are below the Salary Cap floor. Will the league hold them to the Salary Cap floor requirement, or give them an exception?

If the league holds them to the floor rule, what transactions, or taking on LTIR players will they do, to reach the Salary cap floor?

Monahan signed with Columbus, to play with one of "his best friends" in Gaudreau. Will he still want to be there?

The cap hit is removed, they are below the Cap floor. As far as what happens.... stay tuned, nobody knows yet, but probably have to reach the Cap floor, unless an exemption is gra
I understand that the contract is insured, but are the Jackets still liable to pay it? If that's the case, I would assume that it would still count against the cap, but they'd get relief similar to LTIR. Intuitively this seems right to me, but I'm not certain.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think given their status as a rebuilding team, they won't look to go out and replace Gaudreau. Wonder what the league will ask them to do with regard to the cap floor.

I am just wondering what happens to Gaudreau's contract with regard to his wife and kids and family. Not sure how much protection the families have in these deals. Is the contract void and that's it? Is there an insurance payout coming to Johnny's wife?

That's just me hoping his family is safe and taken care off... and by extension Matthew's family as well. Really nice to see how high that Gofundme has gotten.
I would assume it's the agent's job to make sure the contract is insured? Unless the PA has some sort of program?

This is not to suggest the CBJ organization wouldn't consider some sort of outreach for Meredith and the kids, but it isn't really the organization's job to guard against something like this from a family perspective.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Not looking great at all. The floor limit they must spend is 65 million. Projected to be less than 63 million. Who will they trade for? Also, will Monahan want to stay?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Blue Jackets will just have to find themselves another UFA star. That's probably next year country though. I don't mean to seem cold and heartless but since they signed Johnny as a UFA he was basically a freebie two years ago. They didn't trade somebody good to get him.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They could take the Backstrom contract from Washington.

He is LTIRetired. Assuming his signing bonuses were paid in July, his base salary is 2M. Assuming a portion of that is covered by insurance, that is a reasonably cheap route to buy enough cap space to get to the floor and have a buffer for trades.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Just some precedent from the NHL:

Howie Morenz (1937) - Montreal Canadiens struggled and faced its hardest times. Things didn't recover for them until they got Maurice Richard to help build the team back up again.

Bill Barilko (1951) - His death marked the end of a dynasty and began what Toronto fans called the Barilko curse, in which they didn't win the cup for a decade. This wasn't the worst for the fans (the Ballard years were to come two decades later.) The Barilko Curse was worsened by the departure of Frank Selke in 1946. If you wanted to say that there was a replacement in the wing, it was perhaps Tim Horton.

Pelle Lindbergh (1984) - The Flyers had a strong defensive core and was able to keep themselves in contention but their team development brought up future star Ron Hextall to be a commendable replacement the next season.
All three tragedies changed their teams. Out of three at least Canadians won cup in 90s. Leafs curse just gets older and older. Philly at least Hextall showed up eventually they just lost in few finals

Last edited:

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
They could take the Backstrom contract from Washington.

He is LTIRetired. Assuming his signing bonuses were paid in July, his base salary is 2M. Assuming a portion of that is covered by insurance, that is a reasonably cheap route to buy enough cap space to get to the floor and have a buffer for trades.
Maybe pick with Backstrom.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Maybe pick with Backstrom.

In this scenario, Washington is the one doing Columbus the solid, not the other way around. Washington doesn't have to move him. Oshie is apparently also LTIRetired. That means that they have multiple players on LTIR, so moving one doesn't change their cap situation. I doubt they want to sell a pick for whatever portion of Backstrom's 2M base salary that they are on the hook for.

Unless Columbus has a few trades lined up, I think something like that is what will happen. Whether it's Backstrom, Weber, or a different player.

Given the context of the situation, I think there will be a team willing to "help" Columbus out by shedding an LTIRetired contract with a low base salary. As shrewd as GMs are when rival teams are in bad situations, I don't think they are petty enough to extort a draft pick or asset out of Columbus in a situation that was prompted by the death of a player. It also wouldn't surprise me if the league stepped in and asked a team to send Columbus a contract like Backstrom's as a favour to clean up the mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad